Interested in a Hopper keyboard?

Would you like to see a Hopper wireless keyboard?

• Yes, so long as it allows concurrent use with the BT headset.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Yes, even if I have to choose which device if only one would be supported at a time.

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • No, I don't think this feature would be of much use.

Votes: 9 18.4%

• Total voters

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Whether for Searching, Social Apps or other functions, would you like to see support for a wireless keyboard/pointing device combo for the Hopper? This might be via BT, or perhaps via wireless USB. I have no idea if the BT in the Hopper can support multiple simultaneous devices.

- Yes, so long as it allows concurrent use with the BT headset.
- Yes, even if I have to choose which device if only one would be supported at a time.
- No, I don't think this feature would be of much use.

Responded quicker than I could finish the poll! Now choose one! :D

It would be nice if there was some app that could just be loaded on a smartphone to control everything via something like bluetooth. That way I don't need an extra keyboard or device.

It would be nice if there was some app that could just be loaded on a smartphone to control everything via something like bluetooth. That way I don't need an extra keyboard or device.

I think I'd prefer this to having a separate bluetooth keyboard to keep up with. I nearly always have my cell with me while watching TV. Just make a keyboard app that could interface with the Hopper. (Of course this is assuming said app could be released on Android, too...and not just Apple devices)

I think I'd prefer this to having a separate bluetooth keyboard to keep up with. I nearly always have my cell with me while watching TV. Just make a keyboard app that could interface with the Hopper. (Of course this is assuming said app could be released on Android, too...and not just Apple devices)
With a good Android app, you could load it on pretty much anything. There are all sorts of affordable tablets that are coming out that would be a much nicer keyboard than anything that Dish could build cheaply.

I don't always have my phone or tablet with me at the TV. So, I would like the option of using a BT or USB keyboard. But, yes, an Android (and iOS) app would be good too.

With a good Android app, you could load it on pretty much anything. There are all sorts of affordable tablets that are coming out that would be a much nicer keyboard than anything that Dish could build cheaply.
Conversely, there are plenty of inexpensive BT and WLUSB keyboards that are better than a touchscreen. I have two of these for the netbooks I have hooked up as pseudo-HTPC's (for Sling, Youtube, Web, Skype, Facebook, Email, etc):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZTMG/?tag=satell01-20
They are outstanding.

The keys appear closer together than normal on that keyboard. Did that take some getting used to?

The keys appear closer together than normal on that keyboard. Did that take some getting used to?
It is a little smaller than a standard keyboard. But, that is a good thing for the coffee table and night table. But, the size does not affect the "typability" at all. It feels just like a standard keyboard when typing. And, the touchpad works very well. It's an awesome HTPC keyboard (really more of a TVPC, in our case), and would be an awesome Hopper keyboard, if Dish would activate keyboard recognition. (I've heard it recognizes USB mice, although I haven't tried it, myself.)

We are both very happy with my decision to remove our two Google TV devices, and replace them with old netbooks we were no longer using due to our tablets. I highly recommend that anybody who has an old laptop or netwbook they are no longer using to consider using it as a TVPC.

Thanks. If Dish ever extends support for it, that's what I'll get.

Conversely, there are plenty of inexpensive BT and WLUSB keyboards that are better than a touchscreen.
perhaps in the short term, but having an app do everything via tablet is a much more flexible long term solution that would be easy to maintain. We're pretty much going in the direction where a tablet should be able to control pretty much all the major devices in your home. It would be far more forward thinking on Dish's part to go that direction.

perhaps in the short term, but having an app do everything via tablet is a much more flexible long term solution that would be easy to maintain. We're pretty much going in the direction where a tablet should be able to control pretty much all the major devices in your home. It would be far more forward thinking on Dish's part to go that direction.
No short term or long term. Just have both.

Physical keyboards are simply superior to touch screen keyboards for typing.

OTOH, a smartphone/tablet app would obviously be more flexible in terms of capability and functionality.

I have Google TV from DISH that comes with a keyboard. I have split the signal from the Hopper, one going to the A/V receiver and the other to the input of the Google TV box. I have a plug in power switch for the Google TV box, since I don't want the Internet on all the time. I flip the power switch on to power-up the Google TV box that also goes to the A/V receiver then select the output to the TV. Google TV has improved greatly over the past year and feel the $4 per month I pay Dish is worth the extra cost, since I'm usually on the computer anyway. Depending what you want it is an option.

It is a little smaller than a standard keyboard. But, that is a good thing for the coffee table and night table. But, the size does not affect the "typability" at all. It feels just like a standard keyboard when typing. And, the touchpad works very well. It's an awesome HTPC keyboard (really more of a TVPC, in our case), and would be an awesome Hopper keyboard, if Dish would activate keyboard recognition. (I've heard it recognizes USB mice, although I haven't tried it, myself.)

Yes a mouse works and the directional arrows on a keyboard work but no letter keys. :(

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

Yes a mouse works and the directional arrows on a keyboard work but no letter keys. :(

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys
The directional arrows on this keyboard didn't work. Maybe because it's wireless? Is yours wired?

But, if they already have mice and some keys working, they're just a popcorn fart away from full keyboard functionality. Why don't they go all the way, I wonder? The new social app they just released is basically useless without a keyboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)