Interesting behavior with Directv and PPV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

euclidian

Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
Thought I would share this as I cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for what happened except that the Directv receivers are very smart and they are talking to each other via the co-ax cable.

Here is the story: my 4 year old accidentally ordered a whole bunch of pay per view (I know.. I forgot to lock the darn thing) nothing too funny about that except the fact that I got billed for it almost instantly.

This really got the head scratching going because my setup is:

One HR21-100
One R22-100

Now neither one of these devices is hooked up to a phone line. They never have. I "promised" the installer I would but never got around to it. I don't ever order PPV so I wasn't too concerned.

However my HR21-100 in the living room is wired via Ethernet to the internet for VoD, ect.

Now the order was placed (and the bills shows it coming from) the R22-100! This unit is NOT hooked up via ethernet nor with a phone line. All it has is the RJ-11 coming in from the switch that is under my house.

So what this means is.. either my satellite dish is transmitting data back to the satellite (har har) OR .. the two recievers are communicating to each other across the co-ax cable and the R22-100 sent the order to the HR21-100 which in turn sent it on to DirecTV.

Holy cow this is scary :)

Is that possible? There is no other way DirecTV could have got the order. Anyone know what is going on here? Is this a new "feature"? I didn't even know you could order PPV via ethernet, let alone order it from a unit that isn't on the network or a connected to a phoneline!

Let me know if anyone has seen this type of thing before..

Thanks!

-Matt

Yes, the ethernet connection allows PPV purchases. Also, with SWM installed, the receivers do communicate to each other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts