Interesting Issue for Hopper 3 in an RV

Hi Brussam. I'm new to SG forums. I have an RV H3 question. I posted in the DISH Hybrid LNB thread, and Bobby pointed me to you.

I'm doing a new (self) install of a Hopper 3 with one Joey 2.0 for my 2nd TV, a tripod mounted 1000.2 (WA with a DPH LNBF) through a hybrid solo hub. I was asking about grounding the antenna/tripod as I saw such a ground wire in the diagrams on that thread. Any words of wisdom for me? I'm concerned about creating a ground loop "with adverse effects" as someone warned.

By the way, my wife and I are full time (as of a few months ago), we're currently in Minnesota heading west, and we have no sticks 'n bricks account. Can't wait to call customer support once I get the hardware installed :)

Thanks! Gene
BigRigRoads.wordpress.com

Grounding the dish is not an issue with a portable tripod setup. The ground is used on permanent dish installations for lightening safety, but is not needed for the signal path. In a wide open area, there might be a very slightly higher risk from a nearby lightning strike, but the OTA antenna on top of your RV is likely an even bigger risk. The only grounding my 1000.4 dish setup gets is through the park power panel and what ever contact ground it gets from the metal tripod feet.

Can't wait to call customer support once I get the hardware installed
I use Chat. I have a spread sheet with our destinations. When we get to one where we need to change the Service Address, I plug the address into a formula that yields
"I am an RVer and have just move to a new location. I need to change my Service Address (only) to <new address> and have the Locals changed to that location. Leave the Billing Address as it is"

Have your account number and PIN for logging in.

I found Chat is clear and the time to change is down to a few minutes.

We don't care what Locals we get so we only change when we move out of the last Spot Beam.

As I stated in the start of this thread, assuming you call in in the afternoon, the first night PTAT won't work. Use timers to capture what you want with PTAT turned off.

Reactions: ChadT41
My experience, the PTAT lag was the same on my Hopper with Sling, I've yet to complete the change over on the new Hopper3 in our coach, but it sounds like the same issue.

I know this is an old thread, but as long as we have fulltime RVers with H3s...

I am also a fulltimer. I recently changed from a 722 to an H3. Since I am always moving, all of my timers for network shows were Dish Passes. When the program guide would repopulate after moving, the shows would record on the new locals. With the H3, I set up a timer for NBC News with Lester Holt. I cannot figure out a way to make it a 'seek' timer.

I messed around with search and found virtually every local 'NBC News' program from locals all over the country. I selected one from Connecticut (I currently have Seattle locals). It created a seek timer.

How do you create a seek timer for a program that is currently in the program guide?

Unfortunately, the Seek Timer is not available on the Hopper 3. Your try a Search & Record Timer but, forme, it keeps getting tied to a specific channel.

I am sure the Dish Engineers felt Search & Record was an adequate replacement for the Seek Timer but they failed to take into account that there are those who do have the same Locals channels everyday.