Interesting News Story -

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JKeats

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Granted... it's about DTV and not Dish, but still - makes you wonder how Dish will respond. As we all know, dish isn't (in general) at all kind to current subscribers when it comes to equipment upgrade deals (meaning they rarely have them... as far as i've seen anyway).

http://slate.msn.com/id/2120868/fr/rss/

We'll it's Slate so, big grain of salt for me.

Anyway it seems to me E* is already ahead on what Murdoch is planning (see VOD on 625 DVR). I really don't agree with the logic of the writer. At one point he is referring to the studio's current rental model and then he talks about Walmart and DVD sales being the big roadblock. Someone who is going to buy a DVD is unlikely to waste money on a rental viewing first, regardless of source. Currently the rental and retail outlets are cash cows for the studios, I can't see the studios alienating them for the comparatively tiny number of potential eyes D* can bring to the table. IMHO.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
We'll it's Slate so, big grain of salt for me.

Anyway it seems to me E* is already ahead on what Murdoch is planning (see VOD on 625 DVR). I really don't agree with the logic of the writer. At one point he is referring to the studio's current rental model and then he talks about Walmart and DVD sales being the big roadblock. Someone who is going to buy a DVD is unlikely to waste money on a rental viewing first, regardless of source. Currently the rental and retail outlets are cash cows for the studios, I can't see the studios alienating them for the comparatively tiny number of potential eyes D* can bring to the table. IMHO.

NightRyder

i pretty much completely agree.... and like you i dont get the rental-walmart reference.... if you want to walk into blockbuster and pay 2-5 dollars to get a movie you arent going to want to walk into walmart and pay another 19.99 to buy the movie.... probably one or the other.

free! free! We all want to be upgraded for free. Your right this is the Dish forum. If D gives away all those DVR or as D calls them Tivo, pay your $12.00 a month plus your monthly DVR fee and its easy to see it won't take long to make a profit. Plus there is every conceivable reason not to get Tivo because it is old slow technology which could not even be compared to E 625. Plus the 625 runs 2 tv's with no extra $5.00 fee. DA!

Its really going to be interesting to see what happens by the first of the year, at E* and D*.

rnesky said:
free! free! We all want to be upgraded for free. Your right this is the Dish forum. If D gives away all those DVR or as D calls them Tivo, pay your $12.00 a month plus your monthly DVR fee and its easy to see it won't take long to make a profit. Plus there is every conceivable reason not to get Tivo because it is old slow technology which could not even be compared to E 625. Plus the 625 runs 2 tv's with no extra $5.00 fee. DA!

12 dollars a month plust monthly dvr fee??? im sorry I pay 5 dollars per receiver and 5 dollars for all my dvrs not per dvr... the 625 is an upgraded 522... giv eit a month.... and then youll want a tivo... bene there done that.... tivo is the best thing in the world pertainign to dvrs... set it and forget it... no live tv for me.

haha. tivo is the worst dvr to use that I have seen yet. My parent's have so much extra crap recording on their's they can't find what they wanted to record in the first place. Don't forget the LLOONNGG wait on the EPG.

joshschuler said:
haha. tivo is the worst dvr to use that I have seen yet. My parent's have so much extra crap recording on their's they can't find what they wanted to record in the first place. Don't forget the LLOONNGG wait on the EPG.

since the new software update that eliviates every point you jsut made... my guid eon my older hughes directivo is faster than my r10 and folder sort everything perfectly.... suggestions go in the suggestions folder... done deal.

and if you are talking about a stand alone your on crack its faster than both my directivos and of course folders have been on it forever... and now tivo to go is nice as well.

To bring things somewhat back to the topic of this thread....From every report I've read the DVRs Rupert is planning for his "big push" will not be Tivo based units.

NightRyder

lol. With dishnet you pay for the DVR and then get to pay a DVR fee for each DVR and a $5 fee for each additional receiver anyway, so I don't see what your beef is with those fees ;)

FWIW I'm NEVER buying something just to access a service. That includes cellphones and dishnet/dtv/cable receivers ;)

OoTLink said:
lol. With dishnet you pay for the DVR and then get to pay a DVR fee for each DVR and a $5 fee for each additional receiver anyway, so I don't see what your beef is with those fees ;)

FWIW I'm NEVER buying something just to access a service. That includes cellphones and dishnet/dtv/cable receivers ;)

or gas? or electricity? or water? or sewer? or work clothes?

Buying a something that runs on water or electricity doesn't require you to use PG&E electricity or Ray Brand *fake brand* water to run, they'll use anything you provide them with...

Dish receivers only work with dish service (and like 2 other companies), same goes with DTV. In such cases I'll pay for service, they send box, I use it... when I'm done they can have the box back lol.. end of story!

OoTLink said:
Buying a something that runs on water or electricity doesn't require you to use PG&E electricity or Ray Brand *fake brand* water to run, they'll use anything you provide them with...

Dish receivers only work with dish service (and like 2 other companies), same goes with DTV. In such cases I'll pay for service, they send box, I use it... when I'm done they can have the box back lol.. end of story!

i kind of agree but always like to purchase my equipment so that i'm never required to be under contract. that's why i got the 08 though... so i don't have an extra dvr fee. i like it except for the no NBR thing. maybe someday they'll add that feature. one can only hope i guess.

The winner in this whole business will be the first company that comes up with an affordable method of providing the customer instant access to view and archive any movie at any time and at the highest quality video and audio.

It will be achieved through a system that combines improved storage capacity, better compression technology and unlimited archival ability.

Of course it all hinges on who can come up with a system first and at the same time strike the right deal with the movie industry itself.

The 45 day "window" referred to is nothing new. Producers started these deals many years ago to get "up front" production money in exchange for "first view" rights after a "window" of time for theater runs. Actually there are multiple windows: Theater run to video release; video release to PPV; PPV to premium movie channels, which is where it pretty much digresses to a "go to the highest bidder" system.

I believe once the industry sees an affordable, "at home VOD system" become a reality and senses the general public preferring it to video store rentals, they'll jump on it quick.

When you think about it, right off the bat this marketing system all but eliminates the the cost of media and distribution, which leaves a lot of room to give Hollywood their piece of the pie.

Last but not least, it takes piracy out of the loop or at least makes it a non-issue as far as they're concerned. They could actually not even bother with copy protection since pirates would really no longer have a market.

waltinvt said:
Last but not least, it takes piracy out of the loop or at least makes it a non-issue as far as they're concerned. They could actually not even bother with copy protection since pirates would really no longer have a market.

While I realize this is Hollywood's wet dream, pay per play, they are going to have a very hard time trying to sell this to the American consumer as a take it or leave it proposition. A limited version of this has been tried already, remember the Divx DVD format? It deservedly crashed and burned and cost Circuit City hundreds of millions of dollars. As far as pirates go, they will always find a means and a market, human nature.

NightRyder

Until Hollywood decides to stop putting out steaming piles of crap out on a regular basis and maybe make one or two movies a year I'll be intersted in... maybe I'll buy into this stuff.

It's a sad day when TV shows take up a whole section of Blockbuster's DVD's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)