Interesting problem installing dish500

ri06667

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Hello, I've recently got a twin lnb off of ebay. I figured I would get alot more ppv options with 119 and 110 instead of just 119.
After aligning it all as best I could I run a check switch and it seems to check out fine.
The problem is, most of the time i only see 119 channels, still the same old 4 or 5 ppv channels.

After playing around with it, checking the alternate / superdish options on my 501 I managed to get it working somehow. Problem was i was missing mtv, which i used to get with just the single lnb.
Some friends told me it might be a signal problem, on transponder 11 i get 75 for signal on both 110 and 119, transponder 6 i get 124 on 110 and 75ish on 119.

Any help would be appreciated.
Also the cable lenght is about 110 feet, i read somewhere that wasnt an issue with dishpro lnbs, but ive just got the legacy twin.

110' of cable is not a problem. Your signals are pretty low though. You need to make sure that your mast is perfectly plumb when you setup the dish. What are your skew and elevation settings in your area?

Also did you do a check switch so that the receiver knows it has the 110 sat?

The signals are acceptable but could be better. The main reason to try to get your signals higher is to help prevent rainfade during a storm or if leaves on the trees just happen to bloom or the dish gets moved a tad you have some room to make up for it if the signal drops some.

Yeah my sat is setup perfectly, i messed with it for a few hours and thats the absolute highest signal i can get. yes i ran the check switch and it shows
119 and 110 odds and evens, im told it looks normal.

ive tried absolutely everything i can think of, im thinking maybe theres something wrong with the interal switch in the twin500 lnb, but i kinda doubt it because my brother used it alright for a day or two
edit: i was thinking about buying a sw21 off ebay, but i'd like to know forsure what is wrong with this setup before giving up on it.

if i select 110 in the signal screen it'll say 110 locked, then i hit view and it "aquires signal on 110" but then i just end up seeing 119 again. my d500 button says its an upgrade i dont have.

mine does something different, I try locking on a diff satellite it just switches back, maybe it's the channels I'm on. I know the superdish locks onto 3 satellites 2 degrees apart so that could be why.

I dont know whether its the receiver or the twinlnb, and Im absolutely sick of messing with it.
It was partially working for a couple hours, i was still missing channels but i didnt wana lose it entirely.
about haly way through my ppv it just quit, kicked me back to chan 101, and then all the 110 chans dissappeared.
right now i'd love nothing more than to throw the receiver and the dish off the roof at the street :mad: :mad: :mad:

A signal of 75 on transponder 11 is not a good signal. Yes the system will work down to the 40's area but at 75 to start it can get down too low pretty easy. I would make sure you have the right skew settings and eleivation. What is the zip code you live in? If you are absolute in your setup of the dish, then I would start checking all my connections. Make sure the connections at the switches (basically all connections) are tight up in the connector, and you don't have a piece of the braid making contact with the center conductor. I am leaning towords you have a bad connection, most likely a stinger as we call it that is causing these problems. Look for 1 little itty bitty piece of braid in one of your connections on the 110 side.

dish legacy is supposed to be up to cable runs of 100 feet and dish pro up to 200. i'm sure many have much longer runs but it can be an issue as you stated yours was approx 110 with your dish legacy twin lnbf.

double check your connections for tightness. make sure the center lead does not protrude out too far from your connectors.
Important to also make sure you use RG6 cable and not rg59.

use transponders 11 and 12 to check for signal strenght

you said you had a 501?

there are known issues with some of the Conexant tuners in the 501's. heat issues casuing singal losses. make sure it is has good air circulation and well ventilated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)