Interesting story in the SKY Report about VOOM....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
Group Presses VOOM Asset Sale Issues at FCC

Despite moves by Cablevision to shut down VOOM at the end of the month and sell some of the VOOM assets to EchoStar, an organization established to save the struggling satellite TV service and push for more DBS competition told the Federal Communications Commission that it's alive and well.

The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition sent a filing to the FCC this week refuting that it's "a mere fiction" and addressing claims that it lacks any standing to comment on VOOM's pending demise.

The association said it's an unincorporated non-profit association, with a Web site that can be found at http://www.savedbscompetition.org . The association said it has more than 200 members in 37 states, comprised of DBS subscribers, including, but not limited to, VOOM customers.

"The association believes, as does the FCC, that greater competition between facilities-based DBS providers will benefit all DBS subscribers through such public benefits as greater price competition, additional new services, and increased technological innovation," the organization said in its FCC comments.

Also, the association reiterated its opposition to Cablevision's agreement to sell a satellite and related DBS assets to EchoStar, a $200 million deal that's awaiting FCC approval. The group said its members "certainly are not alone in their concerns about the impact that approval of the proposed transaction would have on the competitive DBS landscape."

The organization added, "Indeed, over 250 individuals not affiliated with the association have filed comments in this proceeding, an overwhelming majority of which urge the commission to deny the instant application."

Cablevision plans to shut down VOOM, which enrolled only 40,000 customers in a year and a half, at the end of April.

Forgive me but, maybe I'm not seeing the interesting part. All of this is a re-hash of older stories as far as I can tell.

I agree, there is nothing interesting in this article. Unfortunately, even V* forum here became very lame in the last couple days. :eek:
We just moved on.
I am back with Dish on April 28. Even kind of exited about coming to my house to replace V* boxes Dish DVR 942 and Dish 811. But it is not kind of exitement I had before V* installation.
Bye V* :(

i am a member of the association and the only reason that i join was becuase it people like me and you who have a right to have service that we pay for and enjoy.
Cablevison wzas just wanting to sell the srvice to make and not give a sh*t about the small people.
Hell if i was to sell the company at leats i would demand that the company thatr bought the service from to keep the current people that i have and then give the sma deal that they had when i own the company.
Voom cars about making money and taking are money and care less if we could sat again.
hell main reason went to voom was no credit check..
Can't even get in door with e* or d*
They are a%&holes

Did you do you part?

I am a member of The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition. There may be little chance that the Rainbow 1 sale will be denied by the FCC but if it were or were not I at least can say that I filed a statement with the FCC and was also a member of the Association. It is kind of like Voting in a Pres. election. At least I voted thus giving me the right to comment. I did what I could (my part). If you are a member COOL! way to go. If you a not going to be a member or have not attempted anything else outside this forum then you have only yourself to blame for the limited competition or high rates and you have no right to complain. So all I am saying is it can't hurt. Voice your concern. Stand up for yourself and fight. Don't just sit there. Join The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition. Or join other groups or write letters. Just do something.

-Scott

HDwonderer said:
I am a member of The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition.
Were you a member on March 28th when the association made the filing? If so, how did you know about an association that has done only one membership drive AFTER making the FCC filing.

JL

It looks like the president of the association is saying it is legitimate in order to prevent lawsuits and actions that can be taken against him personally.

If FCC does not approve than CVC and CVC shareholders may take action against him. Who knows.

justalurker said:
Were you a member on March 28th when the association made the filing? If so, how did you know about an association that has done only one membership drive AFTER making the FCC filing.

JL
No. Like you, I did not know how to join. Best I could do was comment with the FCC and write a few letters to my legislative :rolleyes: non-representatives for my area. Like that would do anything. Just did not know anything else to do. But I got thinking about the membership and it may have been better that I was not at the time of filing so that I was a separate individual with my FCC like the 200 plus others.
If anyone cares here is the site
Do you or anyone else have any more ideas? Maybe the more we speak out the louder we all (cable, sat & phone subscribers) get the quicker the industry will move. Ah...who am I kidding. No one really listens unless you have money or there is money in it for them anymore.

-scott

HDwonderer said:
I did not know how to join.
Probably didn't even know the association existed. I see they updated their website to note their second filing but give NO MENTION of the most serious news affecting DBS competition ... namely that a DBS provider is shutting down at the end of the month.

I suspect the only people that knew that the organization existed at the time of the filing was Jerome Sandler, Charles and Tom Dolan, their legal councels and the Delaware company they used to set up their legal shelter. Isn't it a bit of a stretch to file a document as an association and then go out and form the association later?

BTW: Are you from Amityville, like Monsters HD and are afraid of being forced to subscribe to E* or are you a firefighter from Rochester who likes HGTV?

JL

justalurker said:
Probably didn't even know the association existed. Isn't it a bit of a stretch to file a document as an association and then go out and form the association later?
I found out about the association when we did. I agree it would have been nice to promote the Association first.

justalurker said:
BTW: Are you from Amityville, like Monsters HD and are afraid of being forced to subscribe to E* or are you a firefighter from Rochester who likes HGTV?
JL
I take that as a joke. If it is ok with you I will go the Firefighter route, with degrees in Business and economics. I know a lot of people that like monsters. I am not one. I could care less. But with all the popularity it should be one of the ones that make it down the road. Prefer Rave, Gunslingers, Majestic, Vice, Guy TV, and ha ha in that order.

As far as E* goes I am having TW cable installed on the 28th with no contract. That would allow me to go with who ever takes the lead with HD even Canada. And yes I do not want to be forced to go with E*. For that matter does anyone who is a member here not want to make his or her own choice. Yet with limited choice we loose our ability to choose.

-scott

justalurker said:
The reason I asked is because there are a limited number of people named "Scott" who live in the state of New York and filed public comments on IB 05-72. Searching the comments on the FCC website found two.

Scott from Amityville took the 'save this particular carrier because I like this particular channel' approach to his comments ... even if Cablevision was forced to continue service they cannot be forced to continue any particular channel or mode of broadcast.

Scott from Rochester commented on the state of competition in his area. I believe he wanted Voom or another HD service to continue, but he used 'HGTV' twice in his filing. I didn't realize Home & Garden TV had such a following ... but the channel is available on both alternative DBS providers.

There were a handful of other Scotts who filed but they were from other states.

In any case ... it appears that the association was little more than an idea at the time the March 28th filing was made. Despite a later one site (here) membership drive they didn't have 200 members in 37 states at the time they claimed to be an association and filed a petition to deny.

JL

justalurker said:
The reason I asked is because there are a limited number of people named "Scott" who live in the state of New York and filed public comments on IB 05-72. Searching the comments on the FCC website found two.
JL

I have to hand it off to you. Your good. As far as the HGTV part. I guess I finally made a mistake...lol

Hey wait.....I like HGTV...cool.

-scott

HDwonderer said:
I am a member of The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition. There may be little chance that the Rainbow 1 sale will be denied by the FCC but if it were or were not I at least can say that I filed a statement with the FCC and was also a member of the Association. It is kind of like Voting in a Pres. election. At least I voted thus giving me the right to comment. I did what I could (my part). If you are a member COOL! way to go. If you a not going to be a member or have not attempted anything else outside this forum then you have only yourself to blame for the limited competition or high rates and you have no right to complain. So all I am saying is it can't hurt. Voice your concern. Stand up for yourself and fight. Don't just sit there. Join The Association of Consumers to Preserve and Promote DBS Competition. Or join other groups or write letters. Just do something.

-Scott

if the organization i successful in stopping the sale of the sat, which i believe the chances are zero, all that would be accomplished is screwing echostar/dish users that might reap the hd the new sat would allow. in a sense your organization would strenghten dtv and while i hate to call it a hd stronghold because their hd offerings suck , you would certainly succeed in helping dtv

stevesmall said:
if the organization i successful in stopping the sale of the sat, which i believe the chances are zero, all that would be accomplished is screwing echostar/dish users that might reap the hd the new sat would allow. in a sense your organization would strenghten dtv and while i hate to call it a hd stronghold because their hd offerings suck , you would certainly succeed in helping dtv

I see your point in that if the FCC says no then maybe HD’s forward motion will slow down. I believe that if that happens it will not be for long. I would rather trade off a few mos to a year of gaining a lot of HD and less competition with higher prices for better HD PQ with more competition and lower prices. Point to note. Just called TW to see if there were any newer HD channels coming soon and was told I could now get ESPN-HD and two others added to my HD package of 6 channels for another 4.95/m. Get that get 3 more for 4.95. Good grief! That is what less competition gets you. Time will tell.

-scott

An all HD provider is not going to survive. Most people want content that is only available in SD along with their HD. Which means keeping the cost down on an HD only service so it can be added on to whatever SD service people have - or becoming a more full service provider and serving both HD and the most demanded SD for a price people are willing to pay.

Enter 11 transponders with a finite bandwidth regardless of who uses them. Can a provider offer a viable service on only 11 transponders? Voom tried and failed. Even they saw the need to expand beyond the 13 transponders they used. (And it makes laughable the FCC reservation of TP23 and 24 for some 'future' entrant. It would take a well targeted nitch and low costs to be a viable service.)

Competition is good. But 11 or 13 transponders do not lead to viable competition.

JL

justalurker said:
Competition is good. But 11 or 13 transponders do not lead to viable competition.

JL

Thus the reason Cablevision went for "rainbow-2". And a contract with L.Martin. Oh well...we will see.
It is easy for most people today to just give up. It's hard to fight. Those who fight could win. Those who don't always loose.
-scott

HDwonderer said:
Thus the reason Cablevision went for "rainbow-2". And a contract with L.Martin.
Which is why I wrote
Voom tried and failed. Even they saw the need to expand beyond the 13 transponders they used.​
The question I come back to is where was the competition for 157, 166 and 175?

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)