interference info

uh-oh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
getting ready to order dish or directv. Friends say that if it rains or snows the pic quality is bad. Well, it rains or snows here a lot. Do you think I can get a discount for number of days that we can't get pic.

also, and more importantly, is there a cover to keep rain/snow from interfering with pic.

Thanks.

No you cant get credit.

In my experience, any major storm takes it out. It's gone out about 5 times and ive had it about 5 months.

I've heard you can put a plastic garbage bag over it to help w/ snow.

If it rains heavy ALOT I'd stay with cable. Dishnetwork isnt the best deal out there anymore anyway.

Rain fade is only a problem in fringe areas and/or with poor dish aim. If you tell us where you are, what gear you have, and your signal strengths on 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12, we can tell you what to expect, and what to do - if anything.

I get more sun outages than rain ones. Yeah - that's right - sun. Twice a year, a few minutes at a time during the day - when the sun is directly behind the satellite. Trivial.

In nearly a year, I've lost signal maybe 5 times, the longest outage maybe 15 minutes, when really bad storm went directly over the house. Normal rain showers/storms generally have no effect on it. Havent been thru snow with it yet, though.

I live in Texas so I don't get any snow but we do get heavy rains. In the five months I've had DISH, I've had one outage. It lasted about 25 minutes.

I live in the state of Washington, and we did get light snow and we did get an outage for awhile (4 hours) with some satellites coming back before others. I don't really care. I doesn't happen that often, and I have rabbit ears for emergency conditions.

Sun spots in spring happen, but that doesn't happen that often or for very long.

My neighbor placed his dish where he could get to it with a broom to dust it when it gets snow on it. Our dish is way on the top of the roof - better signal, but less maintainable - so we don't have that option. I would consider placing it in a location where maintenance is possible.

Who wants to be a slave to tv anyway :)

You may want to check the signal quality to see if it is weak during good weather. The satellite dish may need to be tweaked.

In southern Indiana, we just went through 19 in. of snow followed by days and days of rain that produced record flooding. Never lost the signal. We have had an occassional summer thunderstorm that will cut out the signal. The signal is broken about 50 sec. before the rain hits the ground. The loss of signal gives my boys 50 sec. to make it into the house. In these types of storms, I pull the plugs on all electrical appliances anyways.

All the suggestions to check signal strength is worthless since uh-oh said he is "getting ready to order dish or direct tv". Since he doesn't currently have satellite service, how is he supposed to check signal strength?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts