Interim PVR solution for VOOM (SD)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

plyall

Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
Denver, CO
Folks -

I have an ATI 9700 All In Wonder card in one of my PC's, and among other things I have been using it to watch TV on one of my LCD monitors. It comes with basic PVR capability, and I used to use ith with my Echostar box. Not too exciting as all of the scheduling had to be done by hand both on the satellite receiver and the PVR software (no program guide for satellite).

I recently started digging into SnapStream's 'Beyond TV 3' and was very surprised to find that they DO support multiple satellite program guides INCLUDING VOOM!

The interface and program guide take a bit of getting used to, but they are better than the built in VOOM STB guide (lots more info, whether the program is a repeat, etc.).

The only remaining trick is how to get the program to auto-tune the VOOM box, and there's a solution for that as well. Digging through tyhe SnapStream forums I found that there's a product called 'MyBlaster' that can be hooked to your PC's serial port to send IR codes to your A/V gear (http://mytvstore.com/product_id_005.html?ovchn=OTHER&ovcpn=TVscheduler&ovcrn=Blaster&ovtac=AFF). Also there's a shareware program (HE Remote - http://www.tvscheduler.net/HERemoteTopics/) that integrates the MyBlaster products with the SnapStream BeyondTV software, allowing it to autotune the VOOM box for program guide and scheduled recording operations. Voila!

There are a few folks in the SnapStream forums that are already using this setup with their VOOM box successfully (go to http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25 and search for VOOM).

I have done some trial recordings using the demo version of the software and setting up the 'program planner' to do the tuning. The quality of the video is very good as downconverted HD (I'm using the S-Video input on my ATI card), and I'm pleased with the results. I have also burned a couple of test DVD's and checked them on my Sony KDF-60XBR950 with surprisingly good results.

Until VOOM comes out with their HD-PVR, this may be a pretty good solution for those of us experiencing the no-VOOM-PVR blues. I'm ordering the full version of BeyondTV ($50 online) and the MyBlaster (about $40) today. There are also a wide variety of PC/TV cards that are compatible with BeyondTV for those that don't already have a card.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

One further note: Bob Meyer's HE Remote is shareware, and he has answered a lot of questions - for the $10 it's probably well worth registering considering all of the work he has done.

Another VOOM/BTV user has passed on some very useful information, including a pointer to the VOOM STB installation/diagnostics manual. This probably should be uploaded to the archives if it isn't there already. Lots of good scoop, include a few secret codes!

==============

For the IR blaster, I am using the MyBlaster Serial from mytvstore.com. http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_001.html

I don't know if its the best one or not, but it works. The UEI code is 0869, which is listed as "General Instruments", not Motorola.

You also might find this handy, given the lack of useful information Voom is willing to give anybody.

http://www.installs.com/docs/Motorola Installation & Diagnostic Menu Guide.pdf

I record tons of stuff to my Panny E85H hard drive then burn it to DVD and I get awesome PQ results with it. With Voom, the 4:3 TV setting can be set to vertically stretch the 16:9 image then when it's played back, a HD TV will squeeze it back down, cool.

Long way around buying $129 Tivo.

But hey, PC fun is fun too!

How is Replay better?

I received a response from Replay indicating that they had no VOOM support - how are they better? Are you just using it as a digital VCR and using some other mechanism to tune it?

I would think that it would be a royal pain to use without a closely inetgrated guide?

I'd also be interested to hear how the how the other folks are managing the program guide and channel change issues.

Also, check out the ReplayNT3.0 thread in the AVS Replay forum... it is a method that could be used with older Replay units to still do the record and have guide data available.

I have to set dual timers, one on my Program Planner for Voom and another on my Panny. It's a royal PITA but worth it.

Hey Madpoet, maybe you should edit your wirns post to let people know that after they set up their replay with wirns they can return the settings back to automatic. There are lots of people missing out on this info.

For everyone looking for the Motorola manual, check the bottom of the first post.

Thanks eddiemc... checked it out and downloaded it... interesting to find the authorization codes... SWO means : subscribed without taping... har,har,har...

ok... this is getting TOO wierd!

Heya madpoet... i remmember telling you on the rage 3d forums i kept running into you in just about evry forum... and now this one!

lets recap..

first i saw you on avs forum, at about the same time i saw you on a.b.dvdr forums, then rage3d, and now this, whats next? :p

madpoet said:
Replay is even better ;)
Tivo is even better than Replay, we have both. I just purchased another Tivo from their website. They were offerring 40 hours for 49.00 with no tax or shipping, or $99 for 80 hours. Tivo service no comes with the Home Media Option and wire/wireless household network connects to other Tivo boxes and pc's. In the fall they are offering Tivo to Go so you can transfer movies to your pc/laptop and burn them if you want. I have the new Compaq 64 bit Athalon with an 15.5" HD screen laptop. I travel a lot so this is a very nice enhancement to their service.

Ok fried... I just can't take it lying down that you think Tivo is somehow better ;). Every time I go to my inlaws and have to pick up that peanut remote I shudder. I do very easy show extraction, streaming, remote scheduling, etc; And I could since almost day 1. Tico users had to pay for it until very recently, and it's really not as convenient.

-MP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)