Intermittent complete signal loss and no guide errors problem

freakedout

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
I just moved into my grandfathers house.i have a 722k and dish installed a new dish. My grandfather had a 322 that would occasionally suffer signal failure or loose odd or even channels. I thought it might be the dish but it is now occurring with the new dish and receiver. When the guide error occurs it often causes a crash and reboot. The signal loss error goes away if you hit guide and the program's being recorded are fine. Could the wiring be the problem or the receiver? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to upgrade soon to an Hopper 3 and want to make sure it goes smoothly.

well go check out the hopper 3 upgrades thread if you're interested in upgrading to one it might be good to check it out.

I'm guessing cabling. If there are any junctures outside, undo them and see if the center conductor is corroded. Of course, only do this if you're skilled enough (it doesn't take a lot) to put a new end on the cable (and have a new end/barrel on hand. .

Do you have an OTA adapter installed with an antenna, and any local sub-channels scanned in?

If so, temporarily delete ALL the scanned in sub-channels, and see if your signal issue goes away... When a Dish receiver loses signal on a scanned-in OTA signal, it causes the receiver to go to what appears to be signal loss on the satellite side also...

Though I've never seen that scenario cause guide issues.

Thanks! I lost my outdoor antenna and I am making do with rabbit ears until my new antenna gets here. I will try that and see what happens.

So the problem is most likely the connector and not the cable itself?
Failure of the connector is more common than the actual cable. BUT water can get into the cable and cause corrosion along the length of the cable so even if you don't find a corroded end the cable could still be a problem.. The cable is carrying nominally 18 volts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)