Intermittent problem -- check switch 622

Big_Ed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Athol, MA
Very aggravating problem with my 622. From time to time (maybe once a week on average) I will get a "problem detected with your switch, please run check switch" error on ONLY the HD stations that I get from 61.5. That is most notably, the Vooms and my HD locals. As I write this, I can't recall if the SD feeds from 61.5 are impacted or not.

So I'll run the check switch as it asks, everything is fine. Both tuners see all 3 satellites and no errors detected. Try the stations again, get the same error message. Eventually, it just fixes itself somehow. Full reboot of the box has no effect.

A couple times, I've had a service call in, but the problem never lasts long enough to actually get a tech here...it always resolves itself prior to the appointment. I've just cancelled the service calls figuring if it isn't happening, how will they fix it. (It is always fun to call the tech support line with this problem..I tell them, I've run the check switch and it came out fine, and rebooted the box with no change. So what do they always have me do? Run a check switch and reboot the box. Retards.)

I have 2 dishes, a 500 for 110 and 119, and a 200 for 61.5. SW21 3-sat switch. Signal strength on the 61.5 is in the 100's. What do you think is going on?

I used to get that same message, but then, IIRC, I learned somewhere in this forum to just cancel out of it and not do the check switch and everything was OK. I think it might take more than one attempt. You might want to search the forum for this error msg.

I have essentially the same dish set-up with a DP Twin on the 500 and DP Dual on the D300, but all going through a DPP44. The issue in your case might be due to a problem with your 61.5 LNB. Is there any pattern to the events, like always in the heat of the day, etc.?

Sorry I can't remember better. I haven't seen that error in quite some time...

NOTE: There's very little "standard" SD content on 61.5, mostly internationals and religious, and a couple of PI channels. Check it out here:

http://www.dishchannelchart.com/ (credit to TNGTony and others)

I have tried just cancelling out, sometimes several times, but to no avail. I've not noticed any patterns...

I got the same error last night, tried to cancel out, but it did a switch check anyway. While 622 #1 was doing the auto switch check, my second 622 was working just fine, even allowed me to switch channels. Something seems strange that #1 had the error and #2 did not, both go to the same DPP44.

The problem with these systems is it could be anything, from the LNB down to the receiver(although I doubt its your box). Check your connections, are you running RG6? And, sad to say, I've never heard of an SW21 3-sat switch(21 means 2 to 1), or a Dish 200. If you are running 2 dishes to a 622 and you don't have a DP44 switch, you must be running through a DP34 switch? do you have a seperate line to each sat input?

I'd check the connections, any breaks in the line(barrel connects, ground blocks, wall plates, all should be HF). Check all the connectors and make sure they are tight and not corroded. I've had very little experience with the 622's, but I've seen this problem on various models, so it's not receiver specific. If the 61.5 mustcarry is connected via a DPPTwin, I'd scrutinize that thing. (DP eq is notorious for being shite, especially the plus twins).

I got into the business well after Legacy equipment had been phased out, but I do know that it is compatible with DP, but I can't think of any scenario where a sw21 switch would work with a seperator.

Although I'm not clear on exactly what kind of setup you have, 99% of the time the problem is in the lines, or in the LNB.

Ok, I didn't read your last post. You are running through a DP44. check the connections there, the Fports on those things are much deeper than usual, so the stinger(center conductor) from the cable connector should be a bit longer.

It's really hard to trouble shoot a system through blogging, but I hope at least something I've posted here will help.

Last edited:
One more thing, you have to remember there is a lot of power going through that switch, maybe you could try unplugging the power supply to it for a while. Is it located on the outside of your house? I suppose it's possible that the switch has burnt out, if you have any free ports on the bottom, try switching to another one. They can go bad individually. Same goes for the ports to the dish.

Big_Ed posted he had the Dish 200 and 3 sat SW-21, both that do not exist to my knowledge and I have the DPP-44 for my 2 622's, me thinks Roadwarrior got us two mixed-up. However his advice is spot on for the most part. I do not think a LNB is involved as my other 622 was fine at the time and they feed into the switch with the same RG-6 line for both receivers. The Separator is suspect and since the error was my first, if it happens again on the same 622, I will roll the two separators to try an isolate it down to it. My power supply is in-house and rides a separate RG-6 to the switch. I made all of my cable runs and know they are all as good as they can be.

We would need to know if the equip is DP or legacy, wiring i.e. two runs or one to a seperator. Then maybe the answere will be obvious.

dirkleearm said:
We would need to know if the equip is DP or legacy, wiring i.e. two runs or one to a seperator. Then maybe the answere will be obvious.

Mine is all DP with one run to each separator.

Roadwarrior said:
I've never heard of an SW21 3-sat switch
It's not a switch, it's what's shown on the Check Switch results when you cascade an SW21 off a Twin, Quad, SW44 or SW42. Dish 200 is likely just a typo for Dish 300.

Big Ed's setup is legacy (hopefully using 2 identical RG6 runs as required), Big D's is DP Plus, as is bhelms'. The problem seems to be independent of the LNBs and switch especially since Big D saw the problem on one 622 while his other was fine. Once the Separator is declared innocent, the most likely culprit is the 622 or its software.

Big D said:
Big_Ed posted he had the Dish 200 and 3 sat SW-21, both that do not exist to my knowledge and I have the DPP-44 for my 2 622's, me thinks Roadwarrior got us two mixed-up. However his advice is spot on for the most part. I do not think a LNB is involved as my other 622 was fine at the time and they feed into the switch with the same RG-6 line for both receivers. The Separator is suspect and since the error was my first, if it happens again on the same 622, I will roll the two separators to try an isolate it down to it. My power supply is in-house and rides a separate RG-6 to the switch. I made all of my cable runs and know they are all as good as they can be.

Oops. My bad...sometimes my eyes work faster than my brain. At any rate, if you both have had the same problem with the 622, but have different set ups, I guess it could be the box. Seperator is a possibility if it's run through the 44. It's really hard to say from here. Thoroughly trouble-shooting a system could be a long process. Like I said, i haven't installed many 622's around here, and the ones I did were through DP34 switches with no sperators, and I never had any problems(a 44 switch is a luxury since the customer actually has to pay for them, I'm not sure if that's standard procedure or something to do with my company). Of course I'm sure I haven't run into every possible problem(there seem to be an infinite number of possiblilties). I hope you get it straightened out tho, Big_Ed, err Big D...which one were you again? Jk...
I know that kind of thing can be really aggravating.

I have a problem with a couple of 622's also. It seems that neither of them (in different homes) will operate the caller ID most of the time. I have tried unhooking cordless phones,, running new lines, etc. One of them will ID after the phone has rang 4 times, which is when the answering machine picks up. Both locations had full caller ID before the 622's were installed. One had a 510 and the other a 811. Is there a unique voltage requirement for the 622 that was not there for the other older models?

Big D, I agree with what you are pursuing for troubleshooting. Big Ed sounds like he might have a mismatch of legacy and DP equip?

Had the same issue - but with 301s.....all had the same issue. The 6000s, 211 and 811s had no issue.

I have a legacy system - not dp - which I thought might be the issue.

Changed all feeds and wiring from the multiswitch to the 301s - only they do it - and only on 110 and 129 - and sometimes only the even side - though I guess you wouldnt know that with the 622.

Someone said they had same issue and replacing the lnb fixed it - though not sure why it does it only on myt 310 (or 622 in your case).