International Channels - Guide titles in english?!

artbb

Original poster
Dec 29, 2008
Texas
Hello all, new member and new Dish subscriber as of last week - thanks Satellite Guys!!

My question is regarding the International Channel packages. I have the Great Wall Chinese language package (along with Top 100 and locals) and was surprised to look at these channels in the on screen Guide and see that all the program titles and program descriptions are written in English. This doesn't help the non-english speaking/reading people in my household so I was wondering if this is the way it is supposed to be or is there some setup I have to do?

I talked to Dish support and after being transferred several times was told that that is they way they are supposed to be. Second call got the same answer.

My SO spoke to her friends who also have Great Wall and was told that their Guide displays Chinese characters for titles and descriptions. I haven't confirmed that with my own eyes however.

It seems very odd to me to have English descriptions for these channels. All the Spanish language channels give the titles and descriptions in Spanish so I had just assumed the Great Wall Chinese channels would do the same in Chinese.

Any help or confirmation on the answer would be appreciated. I have been searching around for an answer to no avail or alternatively some way to print out a TV schedule for these Channels in Chinese so they can have some way to figure out what is on and what to record besides just randomly flipping through channels.

Thanks all...

I cannot say with 100% certainty, but the guide info is provided to Dish Network by Tribune in English. for those and just about every international channel. The only exception seems to be Spanish language channels. I have never seen the guide info for these channels in chinese (Mandarin/Cantonese) and have never seen non "English" characters on the guides. This makes for some hilarity on Spanish channels when a program description is spelled with an N instead of an Ñ. "Ano" Anus. "Año"=Year! There are many programs wishing us a very happy new anus on the guides right now.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)