International Packages No Longer Available for New Customers

If they really are just slimming down the number of packages, this press release is completely incorrect - its not just the connotation but its saying all the packages are going away in six months.....

If that's the case, Dish loses their final differentiating factor between them and Direct...

Last edited:
Seems a lot of the packages are still intact on DISH's website. I have an install for an Indian customer but I'm wondering if I should alert the retailer to this situation as it could result in a backcharge if the customer disconnects. Anyone know if I can activate a customer getting Indian Mega Pak this weekend?

On the other hand, a lot of these channels are also available via GlobeCast or often as FTA broadcasts.

BTW, Damjr, what is your source for this information? Do you have a link?

This was a programming alert that was sent out to the distributors and also posted on the Dish Retailer site. The retailer you work for can find it there.

To help improve and simplify our International programming package lineup, we will no longer offer 36 International programming packages and a-la-carte channels to new customers, effective, tomorrow, Thursday, November 13, 2008. Existing customers who subscribe to one of these packages or a-la-carte channels will be grandfathered for a six-month period. In the coming months, we plan on communicating with affected customers to present alternatives to their current programming and to encourage them to switch to one or more of these alternatives before their current programming is no longer offered.

If they are doing away with international channels how would they have alternatives and how would they be able to switch people to these alternatives? The notice just appears to be a changing of packages "improving and simplifying"

Good luck with that. He dissed me when I highlighted the same things a few replies back. Sometimes folks just know what they know... :rolleyes:

Forgot to add that any existing customer will only have these channels for 6 more months and then bye bye.

It is only the bundled packages that are changing, not necessarily the channels themselves. I subscribe to a couple of Chinese packages and none of the actual *channels* are mentioned in that PDF, but some of the "packs" are, and they changed them around this year, too.

Consolidation of packages makes sense. Quite by accident I found out that if I changed my existing three Chinese "packs" to two "packs" I would get the very same channels but at $7 less per month.

This consolidation has been needed for quite some time. There are too many separate packages and it's confusing, silly, and is probably driving away potential subscribes due to the vast complexity and sectionalization.

I don't think too many channels will be eliminated (if at all).