Internet hookup on the HR24NC HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fightfan

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
Parts unknown
If I have a router can I simply run a ethernet cable from the router to the DVR when I want to use the internet capabilities? As I understand it, you need internet to use the on demand feature. Something that wasn't explained to me when I ordered.

The person taking my order said they have on demand yet never said anything about needing internet hookup and I didn't know to ask since my Charter cable was always instant on demand, no internet required.

Yes, you have to run an Ethernet cable to the receiver or, use a DECCA internet hookup wich is a grey box that hooks up from your router to your SWM switch/splitter, and then routes the internet back to your HR24 through your existing RG6 wiring. . If you have other advanced receivers they too will get internet through the DECCA setup, otherwise you have to run an individual internet cable to each receiver.

I believe I was mislead when I ordered. I ordered the big pack with NFL ticket, whole home DVR and HD for life. I made it very specific about needing DVR to be able to be viewed in every room. When I got it all installed today I have 3 standard receivers so only two rooms have DVR viewing. I'm pretty pissed! Not a good start to me switching from Charter which I have had for 20+ years.

If I have a router can I simply run a ethernet cable from the router to the DVR when I want to use the internet capabilities? As I understand it, you need internet to use the on demand feature. Something that wasn't explained to me when I ordered.

The person taking my order said they have on demand yet never said anything about needing internet hookup and I didn't know to ask since my Charter cable was always instant on demand, no internet required.

From your previous post, I'd say, it's time to call Directv or PM stonecold. IIRC, there's a limit of two free HD devices. There may be h/w upgrade costs to get MRV capable devices in the other rooms.

I've heard reported by others that Directv is asking $25 for Internet Connection Kit when it's omitted in the original order. It would more helpful if people visiting this site or Directv's site were easily made aware of the TOS and optional setups to avoid such discrepancies.

If Directv is returning to install HD receivers, make sure they add the Internet Connection Kit to your order. You may be able to persuade Directv to credit the installation of the kit free of charge if you have them returning to upgrade the other SD boxes.

It's important to remember if you attempt to plug an ETHERNET cable into the 24 series boxes, the internal DECA is disabled until ETHERNET cable is removed and satellite setup is stepped through to end. This may save some time, effort and headache later if the supported Internet Connection Kit is installed.

Okay, sitting on my entertainment center is a Deca1mr0-01, connected home adapter. Is this what is needed for internet access, aka "the Internet Connection Kit"? I would imagine so since it has a ethernet cord attached and a link and ntwk light on the device.

The installer didn't get everything installed today and will be back in the AM to finish up. So hopefully this is what I need to access the internet and is one of the things he needs to finish up.

Thanks guys for your help!

Okay, sitting on my entertainment center is a Deca1mr0-01, connected home adapter. Is this what is needed for internet access, aka "the Internet Connection Kit"? I would imagine so since it has a ethernet cord attached and a link and ntwk light on the device.

The installer didn't get everything installed today and will be back in the AM to finish up. So hopefully this is what I need to access the internet and is one of the things he needs to finish up.

Thanks guys for your help!

DECA adapters are used for both internet access and for network connection sharing with HD receivers other than H24/HR24. When used to connect to a router, a power supply is required for the DECA adapter.

A limited amount of On Demand programming will be pushed to your DVRs via satellite (they will show up with a green check mark on the list). These use a dedicated area of the hard drive and do not take away space that can be used for your recordings.

Thanks for the bad news Bob, JK!! It looks like I still need the internet connection kit. The adapter I mentioned above is probably for, like you said, networking the HD DVR to the other HD receiver for DVR sharing. There is no power supply.

DEca

I've heard reported by others that Directv is asking $25 for Internet Connection Kit when it's omitted in the original order. It would more helpful if people visiting this site or Directv's site were easily made aware of the TOS and optional setups to avoid such discrepancies.

If Directv is returning to install HD receivers, make sure they add the Internet Connection Kit to your order..
The tech at Directv was concerned that D* is not including that device on the original order. I told the CSR when ordering that I wanted whole home DVR and internet connection. After the install, I reported my problem. I paid the $25 over the phone and D* dispatched an installer to hook it up with no additional charge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts