Internet Service?

kirkdj

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2004
Does Dish offer internet service via a sat. dish?

If not are there any future plans to do so?

Does anyone know of any companies that offer sat. internet? :)

It's funny that neither Brian nor Scott mentioned that Dish actually came out with some vaporware a number of months ago when they announced that Dish broadband via satellite was going to be a new product. I'm still trying to figure out why they made the announcement if they had absolutely no plans to actually introduce the service.

And by the way...Good luck with the Wildblue thing. I think they only have qualified installers in one zip code. (I'm just kidding of course, but it seems that they also have no intention of making their service available in my area as their website consistently tells me they plan on having service available in my area in just two more months.)

The great conspiracy to deny me affordable broadband in rural Texas continues...

Stacy I do think that at some point E* will start to market their broadband via satellite solution. Although I don't think it will be any time in the near future. The reason I didn't mention it, I felt obligated to give kirkdj some viable options.

Dish never announced anything.

They did show a prototype of a broadband service, but never announced when or if it was going to be available.

From what I know Dish feels Broadband via Satellite currently is not a good business model. However I do feel somewhere down the line Dish will offer some sort of broadband, however my thoughts are if Dish was smart they would dedicate that broadband for true video on demand instead of offering Internet access.

I bought Wildblue for my parents about a month ago and they couldn't be happier. It works great for them. I tried it a couple times when I went up to their place and it was far better than the painfully slow dial-up they had.

If Dish Network was going to roll out the broadband via satellite they should have done that a while back instead of waiting for others to roll out the service (such as Wild Blue) and to get more customers. Another way of looking at it is that they could try to take away some of their customers by offering a cheaper and maybe even a better service. They could target their customers and use their existing poles and wiring to keep the cost down.

I have had Wild Blue for 4 months now and like it much better then my Direcway, the speed is about twise of what i had with Dway and have never lost signal even in the biggest of storms (but im sure it will at sometime or another) As for Dish coming out with Internet i would give it a try as i called on it when i was looking to switch from dway but was told not anytime soon and maybe never there are a bit late as Wild Blue was out and trying to compete at this time was not a option, so i went to Wild Blue and i am very happy with there service and tech support but stil would consider dish if they had internet to go with my Dish TV service.

rumors that i have heard says Dish will be coming out with broadband early next year. they were waiting on a configuration that is going to be stable.

E* had a partnership with Starband a few years ago for satellite internet. They ended the partnership because Starband was having a problem providing customer support for E* customers.

At the time, the xfer speeds were more like dual ISDN lines than a basic ADSL, and cost an arm and a leg.

With E* focusing on other upcomming products (IE PocketDISH and MPEG4) I seriously doubt they will waste their time on what seems to be an impacted "niche" market

(Geosynchronous) satellite internet service is a last-ditch choice. There is simply no way to overcome the propogation delay issue that makes it worthless for some applications (like online gaming) and difficult for others (such as VPN). The market is already saturated. I'm glad that WildBlue is there to keep DirecWay honest, but it's NOT a growth industry any more.

Terrestrial WiFi IS the growing way to go - at least for areas that can't get cable/fiber/DSL/etc. I just flipped a D'Way install to terrestrial. He's an online gamer, and so would've NEVER been happy with satellite, and he is less than a mile from one of my WiFi towers.

Sat internet ist still to costly, if it was $20 a month for service it would be a very viable option, plus its speeds are slower than what you can get on cable wich for us net junkies is important along with minimal latency issues for us mmporg addicts. I dont think that dish should step into this market as its a small market and with three companies competing for shares of this market its not a profitable venture.

I would get satellite internet if it was $30-35 a month but its higher than that per month plus has a high startup costs for the hardware and installation.

The problem is terrestrial wifi is run by some pretty crooked companies in some cases. With the startup costs involved in running a satellite ISP, there's no way you'd be able to get away with some of the crazy schemes I've seen/heard of (over-saturating a cheap T1/DSL line and then charging customers $50-70 a month for said service).. Bellieve me that stuff can be even worse, just without the bad lag.

SimpleSimon said:
Terrestrial WiFi IS the growing way to go - at least for areas that can't get cable/fiber/DSL/etc. I just flipped a D'Way install to terrestrial. He's an online gamer, and so would've NEVER been happy with satellite, and he is less than a mile from one of my WiFi towers.

SimpleSimon,

Can you put one of your WiFi towers near my home? :D

OoTLink said:
The problem is terrestrial wifi is run by some pretty crooked companies in some cases. With the startup costs involved in running a satellite ISP, there's no way you'd be able to get away with some of the crazy schemes I've seen/heard of (over-saturating a cheap T1/DSL line and then charging customers $50-70 a month for said service).. Bellieve me that stuff can be even worse, just without the bad lag.
You're absolutely right. In fact, the outfit I'm with now is a fresh buyout from a lousy crooked SOB that still owes my old boss $600. I would have nothing to do with him, and was VERY happy to see a reputable company take over the local network.

There's an old rule of thumb about bandwidth sharing that might still apply. 60 subscribers per T-1.

As for monthly charges, it starts at $35 for 512Kb, then $44 for 1.5Mb

Stacy A. Where are you? Look around - it's amazing how many are out there.

Satellite internet is for those that live in the middle of nowhere! Or in commercial buidings where satellite installation would be cheaper than cable/DSL installation.

Of course cost is higher than others. The # of subs for satellite internet is still too low to lower the price overall. Plus, the equipment is still quite costly, except for WildBlue.

I like WildBlue and hope that they can maintain good service, price, and profitability. I care about their profitability because if they go belly up in only a year like Voom *cough cough* even good things will come to an end.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I like WildBlue and hope that they can maintain good service, price, and profitability. I care about their profitability because if they go belly up in only a year like Voom *cough cough* even good things will come to an end.

I and a few others can't wait for Wildblue stock to go public. They aint going nowhere !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts