Invacom vs Fortec LNB and other upgrade questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I think I'll be doing this FTA thing in the next coupla weeks. I'm leaning towards the Mercury II Motorized package from Sadoun. However I am wondering if it's worth the extra $25 to upgrade to the Invacom SNH-031 LNB from the standard Fortec. It has a slightly lower noise figure. But, I have no idea if that will mean much where I'm located in San Jose, CA.

Are there any other upgrades that might be recommended for my virgin FTA setup? Bear in mind that I have setup multi-dish/multi-receiver E* systems at my last 3 residences. So, I am familiar with mounting and aiming dishes. Come to think of it, can I use one of my existing E* masts for the SG-2100 motor and Fortec 80cm dish? (I assume I can use the existing RG-6 run.)

Thanks in advance.

GaryPen said:
I think I'll be doing this FTA thing in the next coupla weeks. I'm leaning towards the Mercury II Motorized package from Sadoun. However I am wondering if it's worth the extra $25 to upgrade to the Invacom SNH-031 LNB from the standard Fortec. It has a slightly lower noise figure. But, I have no idea if that will mean much where I'm located in San Jose, CA.
I would "upgrade" to the Sadoun LNB (same price as the Fortec one). Its a standard so its easier to work with (IMO)

Are there any other upgrades that might be recommended for my virgin FTA setup? Bear in mind that I have setup multi-dish/multi-receiver E* systems at my last 3 residences. So, I am familiar with mounting and aiming dishes. Come to think of it, can I use one of my existing E* masts for the SG-2100 motor and Fortec 80cm dish? (I assume I can use the existing RG-6 run.)

Thanks in advance.
you might be able to mainly because the elevation for you will be higher than me here in MN. Also depends on how much room you have. If its on the downslope of the roof you should be fine. Yes you can use the same coax.
UNless you want to go to a 90cm dish, there really isn't anything else you would need :)

Is there any reason for me to go with a 90cm dish? The weather is clear most of the year, with some rain in the late fall and winter. Personally, I'd prefer the smaller 76cm dish. But, they don't offer one at Sadoun.

Can you elaborate on what makes the Sadoun LNB so much easier, and what you meant by "standard"? Is that vs "universal"? I thought that universal LNB's would be easier with the Mercury II, because its default setting is for universal lnb. (I saw another thread about that.)

I would stump up the extra for the Invacom QPH-031 Its a fantastic LNBF and will work for both linear and circular polarized satellite signals! Lower noise, better warrany! Gold sponsor here!

Win Win Win!

The bigger dish will help with weaker signals and if/when it starts to rain!

A universal LNB has a low band and a high bank for KU. They are mainly used in Europe. Here in the US the only satellite that needs a Universal is PAS9 (58W) and that’s for Fidelvision (Cubavision) :D

A standard LNB (IMO) is easier for a new FTA setup.

The larger dish will help with rain fade and the weaker signals. Don’t get me wrong. A 80cm works really good (I have a 76cm) but if you can afford the 90cm I would get that

"Low Noise" is supposed to mean it can pick up weaker signals. I'm using something like a 0.7 that came with my free Primestar dish and it picks up everything that I know of. IMO, you have to strongly consider stability. Everyone is so bent on noise figure nowadays though. Pete also mentioned the linear/circular lnbf from Invacom. Nice LNBF. Will let you tap into the free audio channels on the Dish Not-work sats.

The Fortec LNB is a Universal KU Band LNB (low and high band)
The Sadoun LNB is a Standard KU band LNB (high band..that is where most of the stuff is )
The Invacom quad (QPH031) has both high band KU and DBS circular in one LNB

If you don't have a DishNet sub, you may want the Invacom QPH031 simply to pick up NASA channel, EchoStar 7, 12370 R, 20000-7/8 . Every now and then, its amazing ! ( but I'm an old guy, easily impressed ):)

So the single output Invacom SNH-031 is linear only? In that case, I see no reason to upgrade to that one for $25 if it does the same thing as the Fortec that comes with the package.

As for the Invacom QPH, I would have to consider whether it's worth $59 for the upgrade, plus the cost of the switch, just to receive NASA and some dbs music channels. Isn't Music Choice on FTA, anyway?

Yes the Invacom SNH-031 is linear only so you are correct on your assumption

Yes Music Choice is on FTA. If you currently have Dish, there really isn’t a reason to have the Invacom Quad because the free channels on Dish you already get on your subscription

Your wife must be looking over your shoulder, counting pennys . Look at this as an investment in the future. I'm considering another roofmount system with a 1m dish and an HH-120 , just to get the birds that are behind the trees on my first system.

Get a 90cm dish, 'cause it's one step higher than you think you need ( later you'll thank us), spend the $$ for the QPH031 quad and switch, for the signal quality and versatility . Next year this time, whether you spent $400 or $300 will be not even a memory, but you'll be getting better , and more, TV.

Brent

I actually have Comcast right now. But, there is a good chance I'll go back to Dish through ATT once HomeZone is rolled out in my area. So...

It sounds like a plain old linear lnb is good enough to start. I think I've got all the info I need right now. The regular Sadoun M-2 package should suit my needs for now. Thanks guys!

Of course, once I get the stuff in a coupla weeks, and try to install the dish and motor, and configure the receiver, I'll undoubtadly be flooding the board with questions again!

brentb636 said:
Your wife must be looking over your shoulder, counting pennys . Look at this as an investment in the future. I'm considering another roofmount system with a 1m dish and an HH-120 , just to get the birds that are behind the trees on my first system.

Get a 90cm dish, 'cause it's one step higher than you think you need ( later you'll thank us), spend the $$ for the QPH031 quad and switch, for the signal quality and versatility . Next year this time, whether you spent $400 or $300 will be not even a memory, but you'll be getting better , and more, TV.

Brent
We only need so much TV. I'll probably be reducing my Comcast package soon(and choosing the lesser HD Bronze, when I switch to Dish).
Plus, I will be setting up a SlingBox in Japan. (That'll keep the TV tied up with Japanese programming a lot of the time.)
And, adding an ATSC/QAM PC tuner, as well, in the near future.
That's a lotta gd TV!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts