Inverter use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Marg

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Ajo AZ
Can anyone tell me what size inverter I need to get to use my DVR on 12volt when we dry camp,last week I tried it on our 400 watt inverter which our old receiver work great and it wouldn't come on,I had to start the genny then it was all right.

A 400 watt inverter is good enough to power a receiver and tv.

Check the inverter to make sure it is operating properly. Also, make sure the inverter's power supply can handle the load the inverter is putting on it.

The TV is 12v the outlet for the inverter is most likely on the same wire as the one for the TV I will check with Lance on that.

How is the inverter connected to its power source?

400 watt inverters are the type that connect directly to a 12volt car battery, due to the amount of power they can draw. If the inverter is jerry rigged to connect to the 12 volt (cigarette) outlet found a car, it is most likely the inverter has popped the fuse for the 12volt outlet. Those outlets have a fuse rated at 10 to 15 amps, a 400 watt inverter can draw as much as 30 amps.

Last edited:
400 watt is plenty...Like said above something is not right somewhere or inverter is bad.

We have been using the same 400watt inverter for 10yrs on our expressvu receiver and it works it has always been plugged into the same outlet that all rv's have.The light comes on when I plug it in to the outlet and I went and got my regular receiver out today and it powers up like it always has.I wondered if this DVR has something built in so you can't use an inverter only electricity.

Most of these inverters will drop out if the input voltage drops to 10.5V. Maybe the DVR is a little higher wattage than your original receiver. I haven't looked but I would think power requrements will be listed on the DVR somewhere. If you don't have one go to Harbor Freight on the Trail there in AJ and pickup one of their $3 digital voltmeters. If possible check line (12 volt supply) voltage at the inverter.
Sometimes I use an inverter to plug in my computer's power suppy. Often I have to start the engine because the inverter shuts off. The wires to my vehicle's aux. outlets, while rated at 20 amps, are just too small and the voltage drops to below 10.5v and the inverter just shuts off.

Last edited:
The light on the inverter is to notify you that it is connected properly and has source power. The light does not tell you if you have 120v.

Test the inverter by using a desk lamp with a incandescent light bulb rated at 75 watts or more. Try not use compact fluorescent or led lights as they don't draw the same amount of power compared to an incandescent light. If compact fluorescent lights are all you have, use the one that has the highest light output. Make sure the lamp and bulb work. Plug the lamp into the inverter. If it turns on, then the receiver is at fault, if the lamp does not come on, then its the inverter.

If the lamp does come on, but the light output is less than normal, then it could be either a power source or inverter problem.

Last edited:
Last time I checked the HR24 it was using 25-30 watts. 400 is plenty.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I found out from Direct a DVR draws 21watts I think I might buy a new 100 watt inverter then try it by unplugging the camper.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)