iOS 11

Discussion in 'iOS Devices' started by Scott Greczkowski, Jun 5, 2017.

1. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014!
    Pub Member / Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had one of the defective batteries that was replaced on recall. That replacement did not last long. Three days after my AppleCare expired, I was in the Apple Store and they honored it anyway and replaced the battery. Havta look up when that was. At that point, I was recharging three times a day. Not at that point now, but I don’t always make it thru the day.

QUESTION FOR iPHONE USERS:

Do you turn off Bluetooth when not using it? I generally just leave mine on.

2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. osu1991

osu1991 SatelliteGuys Master

I leave it on 24/7

littlecloud319 likes this.
  4. Frank Jr.

Frank Jr. Beati pacifici 5:9
    Supporting Founder

5. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

I think those days may be gone. Apple's estimates are measured in days now with many being done same day but others requiring up to five days.

Given the cost of upgrading and the incremental functionality of the new phones, I think people are increasingly interested in keeping their old friend around; especially if all it take to speed it back up is to replace the battery.

6. Foxbat

Foxbat Addicted to new HW
    Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

I was reading the procedure on removing the battery from an iPhone 8 (I wanted to see how bad it would be with the water-resistant seal) and they used a different technique for the adhesive pull-tabs. Forceps were used to wind the adhesive tape around the forceps like a sardine can opener key.

Congratulations on your successful iPhone 6+ battery replacement operation, Don! Like you mention, keeping track of the little screws you remove from the various shields is essential to having a working phone when your done. Good thing that battery fire didn't damage your phone. I'm curious how your new battery performs; will it be like having a "new" iPhone?

I've got the iFixit Pro Tool kit and one thing I like about it is the lid to the drive set is subdivided into little trays so on the smaller projects you can place the various fasteners and shields into consecutive areas. As long as you don't pull a Ralphie (finished our annual watching of "A Christmas Story") this keeps them nicely organized for re-assembly.

7. Foxbat

Well, one thing I did in the last week has made me enjoy my iPhone experience again. I was getting frustrated unlocking my iPhone via the Home Button/Touch ID because the press to wake up and the press to unlock would either a) wake up Siri (press too long) or b) call up the wallet (double-press). I was reading elsewhere and someone mentioned going to Settings::Accessibility::Rest Finger to Open and turning that On. Problem fixed! I press and release, but leave my finger on the Touch ID sensor and it unlocks my iPhone.

When I upgraded to iOS 11 that was one thing that bugged me. Not enough to dig through the settings to fix it, but I like this behavior much better!

littlecloud319 likes this.
  8. rockymtnhigh

rockymtnhigh Hardly Normal
    Supporting Founder

I don't tend to wake up Siri, but the wake up the wallet has happened too often. Might try that and see how it differs.

9. Foxbat

iOS 11.2.2 is out to patch for the Spectre exploit vulnerability.

Separate names with a comma.

More...