IP Addresses

I

Inside

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 9, 2004
Does Dish check location from IP address when receivers connect by Internet?

whatchel1

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Could

Does Dish check location from IP address when receivers connect by Internet?

They could but so far it doesn't seem to make any difference to them. The still don't seem to be able to do anything other than have the system report home. The other thing is it allows the unit to download video.

MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Nederland , Texas
Why do you care? MOVER possibly? They don't care about that or the ip ,unless you are trying to put receivers in different houses then they would notice the ip address isn't the same.

Brussam

Brussam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2006
If they did it wouldn't matter much.

We sometimes connect with Hughesnet which the IP range is in Virgina. But most often we use the park Wi-Fi where we are staying. So our IP address changes as often a daily.

whatchel1

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
If they did

If they did it wouldn't matter much.

We sometimes connect with Hughesnet which the IP range is in Virgina. But most often we use the park Wi-Fi where we are staying. So our IP address changes as often a daily.

If they did chk they would see you are in the same general area.

M

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Why do you care? MOVER possibly? They don't care about that or the ip ,unless you are trying to put receivers in different houses then they would notice the ip address isn't the same.

or he's north or south of the border ;)
(which would technically be a "mover" since the address would have to be in the states)

Brussam

Brussam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2006
Like Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma>?

That kind of general area?

Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME to SatelliteGuys!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Yes they can if they want to or feel they need to.

R0ss

R0ss

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 14, 2009
Ayer, Ma
IP addresses change and really only give your general area.

IP addresses can be tracked right down to the computer, if someone wants to take the time and effort to do it. I'm sure if the IP associated with my internet service was given to Verizon they could track it down to my house. It doesn't make a difference if you have static or dynamic IP service either. Question would be would Dish really care enough or want to spend the bucks to do it....

Ross

Tyralak

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
IP addresses can be tracked right down to the computer, if someone wants to take the time and effort to do it. I'm sure if the IP associated with my internet service was given to Verizon they could track it down to my house. It doesn't make a difference if you have static or dynamic IP service either. Question would be would Dish really care enough or want to spend the bucks to do it....

Ross

Yes, but to do that, they need the cooperation of the ISP. Most of which aren't willing to do that kind of thing.

T

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 8, 2006
What about if your main connection were cable, but in the HT room it were DSL and you had a total of 4 receivers (three connected to the cable and one connected to the DSL). Do you think they'd notice or care that there are two different IP addresses and providers?

I have a reciever in a room with a dedicated phone line separate from the main phone and was able to get dish to add that number to the account so they wouldn't react to seeing two different numbers.

n0qcu

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
Hard to say but each of my receivers has a different IP so I may find out if they care.

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Given that all receivers must be located in one and only one location, it could certainly represent a red flag to see them with different IP addresses.

Note that this kind of question can go well beyond the class of "mover" and right into the class of theft of service through account stacking.

n0qcu

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
Each of yours have a different external IP meaning you are using to different ISP's for service?
Same ISP but my receivers are connected on the WAN side of the router so each one gets its own IP from the ISP.

navychop

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
??? Still just 1 IP from that cable box or whatever, no?

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
There are location ID's in every set top box.
Location IDs have nothing to do with where the receiver is located. It is a code that changes every few seconds and they ask you for it when they audit to confirm that you have it within your home.