IP and MASK adddress help pls

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cjnukem

Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
hello all,

I am trying to set up a linkstar modem and am having trouble trying to telnet. my ethernet address on back of modem is 00.A0.94.01.3B.7F. when i try to use the windows scientific calc to get the IP out of this it gives me and IP address of 10.1.80.767. this does not sound correct. so i went to an online application and got the address of 10.0.59.127. with a mask of 255.255.255.240. however when i try to ping this it comes back with <1ms. also, when i try to telnet it it says something about a port 23 not being the right port
huh.gif
i am stumped on what to do here. i know my IP has to be different than the modem IP (i think) and they have to be ibn a certain range... could anyone please try to give me something to work with... thank you very much in advance.

hmm , cause in all the directions i have read it says to convert that # using the calc to get your modems IP??? this might be rather big but i will insert a pic of a screen here. please tell me what you think i need to do if anyone has any idea on how to config my windows lan so i can telnet this thing. i am in Iraq atm and kinda hard to get the proper support needed here. thanks in advance

had to go with link here Online IP Subnet Calculator

hope this works:/

Like Stone said that's your MAC address. Is the computer connected directly to the modem? If so, just do: start, run, type "cmd", OK, type "ipconfig" hit enter and under default gateway you'll find the modem's internal ip address.

If you want your current IP address from Windows, do Start->Run->cmd to open a DOS box, then enter "ipconfig /a". It will give you all the info about all of your network adapters.

You might be able to get the modem's IP address using "arp /a" from the DOS box. Look for the MAC address, and the IP address will be in the same line. There's another syntax for arp that uses the MAC address as a parameter, so you only get back info on that box.

If your modem doesn't use DHCP to automatically acquire an address from your network, it might not have an IP address assigned.

:)Thank you gentlemen for the replies. i will try the command lines and see what i come up with. networking isnt my strong suit... at all.
I will keep posted. thanks again

I suspect the first number you posted is really the ethernet MAC address as pointed out early. The Hex number address of 10.0.59.172 is 0A.00.3B.7F, which is different than 00.0A.94.01.3B.7F. MAC addresses are always six hex digits in size, but are usually clumped together (000A94013B7F), or separated by colons (00:0A:94:01:3B:7F).

arp command is probably your best bet, unless you can find a manual for your unit.

On the networking side, if the modem has an address, say 10.0.0.1, with a netmask of 255.255.255.0, you'll need an adress on your computer within the same subdomain, say 10.0.0.2, for communications to work.

thanks for the replies. could anyone go into a bit more detail about the arp command? i am a total newb to cmd and well.... all this. but all this is much appreciated.

In the DOS window, type arp -a. this will give you a list of active IP addresses and their associated MACs. You'll look for the MAC ending in 3b:7f and see it's IP address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)