IP over DVB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
I have been reading lately trying to understand the uses of IP over DVB as it seems like more and more of these signals have been popping up.

Just wondering if anyone can explain what the advantages would be of sending video signals in IP format over DVB instead of a typical Mpeg2 transport stream that we usually see?

Are there major advantages it offers?

Thanks,
JB

The IP use less bandwith but has bad drawback IMHO, is the crappy video frame rates running at 15 to 25 FPs and I have yet to see 30 or 60 FPs on my SatHawk reciever.

You can see on the PBS bird at 125*W on KU band.:)

They use 1080i by using ip mode with bad video framerates.

It's don't make any sense to me at it all....:rolleyes:

I didn't know PBS was using IP, or that the SatHawk receives it. How can you tell?

The IP use less bandwith but has bad drawback IMHO, is the crappy video frame rates running at 15 to 25 FPs and I have yet to see 30 or 60 FPs on my SatHawk reciever.

Relative to the frame rates, that may or may not be true if you're referring to real time IP/DVB, but the file mode IP/DVB stuff I've seen was pretty much all ~30 fps, and was very good quality. So I think it's pretty much a question of the source, just like with any regular TS video. Like with regular TS video, I've seen bitrates for 1080i video varying from less than 1 Mbps up to 70 Mbps, so quality varies regardless of the format used. Re the PBS stuff, I'd be interested in how you receive that too. Only once have I ever been able to lock the transponder, let alone do anything with the data there.

I would like to know more about the highlighted:

Status
Please reply by conversation.