iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max pre order.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
One of the best pre orders I’ve ever seen. Got in at 5:03 AM and was able to place my order. Set to get my iPhone 12 pro max on release day shipped to me.

A bit shout out to the delivery men and women out there!

Reactions: Foxbat and mackie99
One of the best pre orders I’ve ever seen. Got in at 5:03 AM and was able to place my order. Set to get my iPhone 12 pro max on release day shipped to me.

A bit shout out to the delivery men and women out there!
Same here. I did the pre setup a couple days ago and then signed on and checked out. Easy peasy. iPhone 12 Pro Max 256 in blue.

Reactions: IcEWoLF
A fellow Apple user at work was getting ready to order a replacement for his Jet Black iPhone 7+ and was torn between ordering from Apple or getting it through AT&T. AT&T is offering him a $300 incentive to buy the 12 Pro Max but he has to get it in Pacific Blue. He’s not too bummed by that since it will be in a case, but I think he had his eye on the Gold being an ND grad. ;)

Reactions: IcEWoLF
I placed the order for my wife's 12 mini. Got shipping for delivery the 13th. I decided to hold off on replacing my 11 Pro Max 512 since it is working great and the cost was just too great for the benefit I would get. I may upgrade next spring or summer depending on the economy. I don't have any way to use the 5G so only benefit would be the camera.

They only will give me $30 on my wife's SE trade in so I'll just keep it and maybe give it to my oldest grandson. It's working great so has more value to the family than to Apple. :)

What was the main reason you all upgraded to the 12? Was it 5G because your area has it, or something else?
For me, unless I wanted to keep my 11 for a few years it made little sense to not get the 12. I had credits so I’m paying the same for the 12 as the 11.
5g had nothing to do with it as I use mine is dual sim mode and 5g currently won’t work that way.
Once the price difference becomes greater than I’m comfortable with I’ll likely not upgrade every year.

5g had nothing to do with it as I use mine is dual sim mode and 5g currently won’t work that way.
I expect that to be addressed at some point.

OT, I heard the best way to use the e-SIM is if your domestic carrier supports it, then when you travel overseas, getting a nanoSIM when you arrive lets you easily keep your normal carrier number and add the foreign number during your trip.

Last edited:
I think I came up with a $230 difference plus another year of payments to go into the 12 as I take those 3% credits on Apple card as they come in for other things.

5G- Now that I understand it better from users who have 5G and the new 12 Pro, there is disappointment. Complains that Verizon with milimeter 5G only works in very few locations and doesn't offer reliability unless very near an antenna. T-Mobile isn't much faster than LTE from other carriers. The 12 does do fast switching as 5G signal jumps in and out but these reviews claim an 11 Pro is more reliable and faster more consistent internet streaming than the 12. A couple users were so frustrated with the 5G performance that they ended up just selecting LTE only in the menus. There was also a complaint that the battery life is much less on 5G than on an 11 with LTE or even the 12 Pro on 5G.

I look forward to how you find the 12 and 5G. with your carrier. I'm thinking 5G importance for me is a few years away and then would need a different carrier that offers the coverage and speed, with a future phone that has good battery life. I'm disappointed in what 5G offers today where I use the phone.

12 disappointment:
Aside from the LIDAR for Portrait mode, I also was interested in the 120 frame display feature that didn't happen in the 12 so it wasn't the perfect video toy to play with. I'll wait for that to be in the next version before I take a serious look at upgrading from the 11 Pro Max.

12 Pro advantage: not yet mentioned is the memory being being 6GB over 4GB. If you like lots of open apps this will help prevent loss when shooting video especially. The 11 Pro Max has had problems with dropped frames so I always had to make sure I dumped out of all apps except the camera before shooting 60 fps video. You 12 Pro Max buyers will like this, I'm sure, even though no one mentioned it. Enjoy!

Reactions: Foxbat
I expect that to be addressed at some point.

OT, I heard the best way to use the e-SIM is if your domestic carrier supports it, then when you travel overseas, getting a nanoSIM when you arrive lets you easily keep your normal carrier number and add the foreign number during your trip.
I certainly hope they do. Currently I use Verizon on the esim, with my att line in the physical slot. When I’ve gone out of country and needed different coverage I did what you recommend here. Isn’t often however.

When I ordered the 12 Mini with Verizon as carrier I got a notice popup that said I needed to take the sim card from my old iphone and insert it into the new 12 mini. Do I do that first or last? How is the eSIM programmed?

Can the iphone ordered for Verizon but through Apple, be used on T-Mobile with their Sim card and service subscription? I could only see this advantage to use T-Mobile 5G one day.

Your new iPhone should come with a SIM tray tool that hides out in the documentation bundle, usually held in place by two wings of thicker paper. You use that in the hole on one end of the SIM tray on the iPhone, pressing in until the tray ejects 1-2 mm. The nanoSIM is pretty small, so don’t lose it. You move the nanoSim into the SIM carrier from the iPhone 12 and reinsert the carrier until it’s flush.

The nanoSIM is pretty small, so don’t lose it. You move the nanoSim into the SIM carrier from the iPhone 12 and reinsert the carrier until it’s flush.
OK, I know about the tool and the tray. But Apple said I need to take the SIM out of my iphone SE and insert it into the 12 mini. How is the eSIM programmed for Verizon so I could use a T-Mobile or AT&T Sim if some day I want to do that? Maybe I need to do a search on YT. I'm sure someone has a video on this process.

You Tube to the rescue! I understand now completely. You scan the eSIM with a QR code which I get from Verizon. But the simple way is to just insert my SIM from the SE as Apple instructed. Then I believe I go to Verizon My account and make the switch to the new phone IMEI number etc. So Verizon knows to remove the SE and replace with the 12Mini.

Last edited:
So, once you convert the old nanoSIM from the SE into eSIM in the iPhone 12 mini, you can remove the now unneeded nanoSIM, correct? That’s encouraging.

I will have to research this on Mrs. Foxbat’s T-Mobile account. Ah, she would need a newer iPhone as she currently has an iPhone X and Apple started supporting the dual SIM starting with the iPhone XS.

So, once you convert the old nanoSIM from the SE into eSIM in the iPhone 12 mini, you can remove the now unneeded nanoSIM, correct? That’s encouraging.
Not sure as I haven't researched that yet. It seems there is no way to "convert" a physical SIM to the eSIM internal chip. The best I understand is you have to go to the Verizon app and there is a QR code to load your eSIM. AT&T will mail you a card with the QR code on it to scan in. I forget right now how T Mobile does it, but there are videos that describe it step by step. I will probably leave the physical sim for my wife's 12 mini if Verizon charges to load the eSIM. Verizon loves those added fees and extra charges. If there service wasn't so much better I'd switch to T-Mobile. AT&T I know has dead spots around here.

For the best security, use eSIM even with only one carrier. Then save the single SIM slot for those temporary Sims you buy when traveling. I never found a need for those where I travel. I believe the eSIM can store up to 3 numbers you switch to when making a call but all 3 are monitoring for incoming as well as the physical SIM.

Correction- T-Mobile is app based QR code scan and prepaid only. Easy Peasy

Last edited:
I received the new 12 mini Friday.

Began to set it up and discovered a new way that is so much easier to clone my SE to the new 12 Mini. It's called iphone migration. So much easier than the old way. Just turn both iphones on near each other and begin setup on the new 12. The SE and the 12 connect automatically by BT initially and then enter your wifi network PW and then the migration process begins. I'm very impressed!

My wife's SE is a 64GB and she has it nearly filled up with only 4GB left. I see she is taking tons of photos and videos of our grandkids. Really need to show her how to archive those on her iMAC as she has filled up our iCloud account too.

The iphone was pretty slick transfer over and even updated my Verizon account in the process.

There was one error that I discovered. Don't move the SIM card from the SE to the 12. Verizon sent me a text message to put the original SIM card that came with the iphone 12 because the older SIM is not compatible with 5G networks.

The process to pair the Apple Watch 4 to the 12 was a bit more difficult. Had to unpair from the SE first which took several tries before it unpaired. Then pairing with the 12 mini took several tries as well. Finally got it to take by bypassing the Apple card setup > do it later in wallet app instead. Could be bank computers are down at this late hour.

I got my iPhone 12 Pro Max and the California Orange Leather case, it’s fantastic!
The extra screen real estate is nice when it comes down to browsing. I did hear some people having issues with the case edges popping out, no issues here so far. But either way the extra time for holiday returns works out if it starts doing that.
I don’t plan on getting the wallet thing. The feel of the case is nice.
I am hoping next year Apple comes out with the 120hz screen monitor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)