iPhone 3G

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Who all here has the new iPhone. Do you like it? How does it compare to a Windows Mobile 5/6 Pocket PC?

I'm looking to pick one up tomorrow or Saturday and was curious.

I have the new iPhone 3G and LOVE it. IMO it beats the Blackberry and Windows Mobile devices.

The iPhone is definitely smoother running, probably because it doesn't multitask, a bit of annoyance. Also, I miss the capability to edit Microsoft Office documents and save them (although you can always save the original emails they were attached to). But it adds HTML email, and the web browsing (if you have 3G or Wi-Fi) is unsurpassed.

Adding Microsoft Exchange gives you push email, like the Windows Mobile phones, if you have an Exchange server. And the screen is MUCH brighter outdoors than any WM6 phone I've ever seen.

So it's not just the touch screen that makes the iPhone stand out. Not that it's perfect. But I vastly prefer it to the WM6 phones I've had (HTC 6800).

I had the 6800 and now have the 3G and I love it.

On the 6800 (while I loved it) I was always trying to make it look and act like an iPhone. Now I just have an iPhone and it works.

The battery life sucks but I am now use to it.

Only thing I am missing from my 6800 is the Slingplayer software.

Picked up 2 8GB iPhone 3G's this morning.

I got to the mall where the Apple store is around 7:20ish. It took me approx 10 min to find where the line was, as I thought I could go inside the mall to find the line.

The line was at the Food Court door. I got in line around 7:30, and was 20th in line. At approx 7:50 they let us in to get in another line just outside the Apple store. The store employee came out and explained how the process would work, and to verify with everyone that they brought the info they needed to start up an account. He then started handing out vouchers. I asked for 2 for 2 8GB and he had no problem doing this.

About 40 min later it's my turn to go into the store. I then wait for the employee there to go get the phones. After that it takes a bit to get the activation done, as his handheld PC kept messing up. He activated the first phone, I paid for it, we connected it to iTunes to activate, and then we proceeded to do the same for the second phone. I left the store at approx 9:20ish. We will go to the AT&T store to get the numbers ported over and to get my corporate discount started. I did not want to wait 10-21 days for AT&T to order them.

I like the phone so far!! The touch interface is quite quick, and the Google Maps is very nice, much better than the VZ Navigator. I cant wait for my wife to start playing with hers and use it as well.

In the end the battery is the final straw for me.

I used the thing for 20 mins of calls yesterday and the battery made it 10 hours off charger which is pathetic :(
I am the last person now in my department with one, the other guys finally gave up and went back to BBs, we all rely on our phones too much to have them die so easily. Shame, it really is a nice device, but its just not keeping up with even basic use, adding the corporate email about blew away its battery life.

-Jonathan

The iPhone is definitely smoother running, probably because it doesn't multitask, a bit of annoyance. Also, I miss the capability to edit Microsoft Office documents and save them (although you can always save the original emails they were attached to). But it adds HTML email, and the web browsing (if you have 3G or Wi-Fi) is unsurpassed.

Adding Microsoft Exchange gives you push email, like the Windows Mobile phones, if you have an Exchange server. And the screen is MUCH brighter outdoors than any WM6 phone I've ever seen.

So it's not just the touch screen that makes the iPhone stand out. Not that it's perfect. But I vastly prefer it to the WM6 phones I've had (HTC 6800).

About the exchange server intergration....on the mail side...it ONLY sync's your inbox (doesnt do subfolders)....which if you are like me and run rules to sort mail to indivdual subfolders makes the exchage intergration worthless. :mad:

I had the 6800 and now have the 3G and I love it.

On the 6800 (while I loved it) I was always trying to make it look and act like an iPhone. Now I just have an iPhone and it works.

Only thing I am missing from my 6800 is the Slingplayer software.

Scott- have you lost it? Why on earth would you try to make your 6800 work like a crippled old technology? The 6800 runs rings around the iphone! Did you add spb software to add the icons to the screen for all your apps? The only thing the iphone has that can't be on the 6800 is that novel two finger squeeze zoom feature. Now that is sexy for sure.

Here's a Mac head expert solution to the battery problem. You'll love this...

They own two iphones so when the battery goes dead mid work day they just switch to the second phone. :D

I haven't seen the 3g phones yet. When I was in the Apple store to get a DVI to composite video adapter I was planning to try one out but the store was packed with kids, like a toy store after Santa arrives.

Curious- can you play wmv video with the new 3g phones?

Curious- can you play wmv video with the new 3g phones?

Video Specs:

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

Video Specs:

Video formats supported: H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; H.264 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 3.0 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Apple - iPhone - Technical Specifications

Translated-- NO! :(

But one thing is cool. I see where you can buy a breakout cable to feed the video to composite or component out. I'd be interested in that. Has anyone tried it yet?

You are in a hotel room and want to watch some movies on your room TV. Hook up your iphone, attach the special cable and watch the movie recorded on your iphone.

Bottom line: If you want to carry your Windows PC -- for all its pluses and minuses -- in your pocket, get a WM phone. The iPhone goes in a totally different direction.

Yes, they need to address the battery issue; if you're in a 3G network area, you will lose battey power right quick. (Solution: Turn "Enable 3G" OFF in Settings until/unless you need it.)

Don the iPhone is perfect for me. IT works and does what I need it to do (besides Slingbox) all's that I use my phone for is Email, Web browsing and SSHing into our servers.

I always carried a seperate ipod with me for my music and podcasts and now I have it all in one device which is perfect for me. :)

I do wish the battery was better and wish it shot video, but other then that, I really like it.

Bottom line: If you want to carry your Windows PC -- for all its pluses and minuses -- in your pocket, get a WM phone. The iPhone goes in a totally different direction.

Yes, they need to address the battery issue; if you're in a 3G network area, you will lose battey power right quick. (Solution: Turn "Enable 3G" OFF in Settings until/unless you need it.)

Ira- The one advantage the iphone has over windows Mobile is the user interface. As Scott discovered it works very slick. The 6800 is quite good but needs lots of tweaking to make it work easily and I believe the typing IQ of the iphone is far superior.

I was hoping with all the complaints that Apple would have addressed the battery in this version. I guess I'll be waiting for the third times the charm before I jump on board. I am liking it to the 6600 for the old iphone, the 6700 is this 3G model and when they release the next iphone it will probably be capable of the video, the battery swap, and windows media video, but I'm sure that could be addressed soon with a 3rd party ap.

I find it laughable that the solution to having longer battery life is to shut the thing off. That's like getting better gas mileage by not driving. None of the PPC's have great battery life but when I know I'll be away for a long day, I carry a spare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)