Iphone 5 charging issue

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
This is my 2nd iPhone lightning cable charger and it's doing the same thing as the first one. It doesn't charge when you first plug it in. Then when it does charge, it stops charging. I made sure no dust is causing this issue. It's frustrating because the old charger never did this. I've heard a lot of complaints on the lighting cable also. I am out if ideas.

Sounds like the issue may be with your iPhone and not the cable since this happened before. Have you contacted Apple?

One of the quirks of the lightning connector is that it feels like it is seated all the way, but isn't. I know when I first got my iPad Mini, I found that out the hard way. First click as it you push it in will show a charging start, but if you don't push it firmly in it doesn't actually charge.
?

It's an apple charger and cable . I've contacted them and they want either 169 for Apple care plan or 20 bucks for single incident before they'll help me.

A friend had the same problem.
He got his phone replaced.
Was still under warranty.
Hope that problem doesn't haunt the 5S.
I'd hate to get stuck with a used 5, as I still don't know a solution.
(replace the connector?)

It'll haunt the iPhone 5s as well. The issue is the lightning cable end. I've been to the apple store twice now to get a new cable . Have even blown compressed air into the charging port and that doesn't seem to really help . Until the 6s or 7 comes out it'll be around.

I don't understand why this happens to some people, Dishfan is experiencing this on two iphones in a row. Yet millions of owners do not have any problem. My wife has an iphone5 and uses it daily with an Apple charger and cable that came with the phone. She is not a tech genius, nor a tech buffoon. In otherwords, she can be responsible for charging her iphone when needed. And, she knows not to use the ipad power pack on the iphone 5 or vice versa. She never has a problem.

This is not just with iphones, but remember the few people who had exploding laptop batteries? I'd think if the issue was with the device, all of them would be trouble. It's possible a low level of quality control can produce some lemons but to get two in a row? What are the odds? I think it must be something besides the phone, charger and cable.

My SIL received my old MacBook Pro and immediately, he started having trouble keeping it charged, He wanted to buy a new battery since that is what the genius at the Apple store told him. I said Hell no! Not until I check it out. I went to his house and discovered the outlet he was using to plug in the Macbook charger was split. The top was live and the bottom was switched with the wall switch. He plugged it in the bottom, checked to see that it was charging and then left the room turning off the ceiling light, never knowing that the wall outlet also got switched off. When he returned the next morning he entered the room turning the switch on and noticed the Mac was still charging but not "taking" the charge. So he thought. Sometimes these problems can be elusive and you have to dig a little deeper to find the real root cause. Don't assume the wall outlet you are using is perfect. It's just one example of any number of reasons some people have trouble with a gadget that millions of people have no problem with.

Just wanted to say my wife and I both have had an iPhone 5 since release and have never had a problem. The lightning connector is very secure and works every time.

Mine will connect but the slightest moment disconnects it. It wiggles at the connection which I think is what's causing it.

You're connector port must be or something. Mine stays in tight, it's hanging in the pic there. Do you have a case that is not large enough for the lightning cable end to fully insert itself in the phone? The three cables I have all fit snug.

image-1606098929.jpg

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

I don't fool around much with my wife's iphone5 but decided to check out the snugness of the Lightning charging cable and mine too fits very snug, no wiggle room at all. Her rubber like protector case has plenty of space around the port to allow the plug to fully insert. Dishfan, you should go into an Apple store or place where they have plenty of iphones on demo and check others out to compare. Do you have more than one plug? Maybe one is bigger ( 3rd party) and it forced the socket to be larger making the original plug to fit loose. Just offering some suggestions to get to the bottom of your problem. This doesn't sound like it's an Apple problem. Do you have a habit of pulling the plug out by the cord or do you grab the plug itself?

I use a maxboost charger/case. It plugs into the iphone and then I plug in a micro usb to it. Might be a solution to your issue? I got it on amazon. That said, I don't have a problem with my phone just being plugged into the lightening port, I just need extra battery power. :)

I use a maxboost charger/case. It plugs into the iphone and then I plug in a micro usb to it. Might be a solution to your issue? I got it on amazon. That said, I don't have a problem with my phone just being plugged into the lightening port, I just need extra battery power. :)

How well does that case work? I don't know how those work?

I'm going to head to the apple store to see what is causing this issue.

dishfan- the theme seems to have switched now to using iOS7 beta. ( a different thread) Still curious what you discovered with your intermittent charger after your visit with the Apple people. Did they refuse to address the problem because you had iOS7beta on it?

dishfan- the theme seems to have switched now to using iOS7 beta. ( a different thread) Still curious what you discovered with your intermittent charger after your visit with the Apple people. Did they refuse to address the problem because you had iOS7beta on it?

The tip was no good because the cord part at the end was bad. They did fix it but not after I was given a lesson of why iOS is not meant for everyday use and they weren't supposed to help me since I have iOS 7 beta on it. After that they gave me a new cable.

Good! Glad they found the problem. And yes, if you were using beta for everyday use that you depend on, that is wrong. But they should have been able to determine if your use of the iOS7 was registered. A simple, "Yes, I do have iOS 7 beta because I'm a registered beta developer." and that should have covered it.

Good! Glad they found the problem. And yes, if you were using beta for everyday use that you depend on, that is wrong. But they should have been able to determine if your use of the iOS7 was registered. A simple, "Yes, I do have iOS 7 beta because I'm a registered beta developer." and that should have covered it.
At the local store you need to provide them with the email you registered as a developer with. I've never had a problem with them once I've done that. They're not as accommodating for people who have the beta under someone else's account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)