iPhone 6S Plus or Galaxy S7?

Bronxiniowa

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
Iowa
OK: My Verizon Galaxy S5 is doing very weird things. I can either pay $100 to insurance to have them replace it, or I can pay about the same to Verizon to upgrade my phone, either to a Samsung Galaxy s7 Edge or the iPhone 6 Plus. Here's my dilemma:

The iPhone, which I used several years ago, is the McPhone: Everyone's is the same, from carrier to carrier, person to person. It looks the same, sounds the same. But it works like a dream, and the interface is extremely smooth and well designed. It also seems to load data faster than Android phones, whether on the cell network or Wi-Fi. However, it doesn't have removable storage, so you have to pay a premium price for the largest-capacity phones. (I would need the 128 GB model to match the storage capacity of my Galaxy S5.)

The Samsung runs on Android Marshmallow, which is way less slick than the iOS, is subject to many quirks, and also subject to more hacking than iOS. But it is far more customizable than the iPhone, and you never feel you are using the same phone as half a billion other people. You also can get a low-capacity phone and add hundreds of GB more storage with a mini SD card.

Both are approximately the same price, on Verizon's monthly payment plan. My bill would go up by $8 a month.

So what are your thoughts? Which route should I go? ::coco

Ive gone both routes, and honestly the customization aspect of android got more tiring to me after a while, and I decided to go back to iOS. I wont say its necessarily a superior os, but it is simpler, and for me now, that is what I want.

I do have the 6s Plus, and am mostly pleased with it. The s7 is a very fine device as well, but I see very little that would make me go back to android at this point for a daily phone.

Admittedly biased as well...no interest in being a member of the iSheep. Much prefer Android having had a long line of Android phones, and have been very happy with my S6 Edge. I wish they hadn't bumped the physical size up on the S7 Edge, but if the S6 has any issues, that's what I'd likely replace it with among the current phones. Sounds like you're already fairly happy on Android, too. With the S7 adding back SD storage...seems like its right up your alley!

I suspect you'll be just as happy either way.

I have an iPhone 6+ and am happy. I gave my MiL an Android tablet (LG7?) and I hate using it.

With an iPhone and iPad I'm pretty much a safe Apple customer, considering the investment in apps and learning curve. But I'm still not buying a Mac.

It just works. That means a lot. I gather Androids aren't bad, but aren't really quite as stable.

I've had Android, Windows and iOS phones at various times. Android is easy to twiddle, Windows phones are actually better than I expected.

But I've got other Apple gear and love the ecosystem. And I like that the iPhones just work and work right all the time. IMO, if you have had a better experience with iPhones in the past, and especially if you are in the Apple ecosystem, then the iPhone makes the most sense.

BTW, the 'waterproof' statement is incorrect regardless of the ad copy you may have seen. It is more water resistant though.

Thanks for all your feedback. I am an individualist at heart and I prefer the edginess of Google compared with the cultishness of Apple. Think I will go with the S7 -- unless the HTC or LG new models turn out better. :)

Reactions: DWS44
Admittedly biased as well...no interest in being a member of the iSheep.

Thanks for all your feedback. I am an individualist at heart and I prefer the edginess of Google compared with the cultishness of Apple.

I guess I just don't understand this thinking. What is so edgy about Google? What's so cultish about Apple? Those both seem like silly ways to describe giant tech corporations to me.

If anything I think the Android customer base is more cult-like. They are the ones calling iPhone users iSheep and trying to convince people to join their side. I'm not sure many iPhone users even realize they are on a side. I haven't seen iPhone users coming up with negative nicknames for Android users.

All of this is silly to me. I use my phone and I could care less what phone other people choose to use. If you want more settings and control of every detail of your device go with an Android. If you want something more streamlined go with an iPhone. Neither choice makes you edgy or makes you a sheep. These are just phones we're talking about after all.

All I can think of is that Apple Super Bowl commercial where they smashed the cult of IBM PCs . . . what goes around . . .

The S7 you can do more with it and has more hardware features as well Wireless Charging and water proof up to 3ft of water for 30 minutes. If you want a bigger screen you can look at the S7 Edge or Note 5 or wait for the Note 6. But this S7 Edge has a bigger screen than last years model the S6 Edge.

The S7 is a beast of a phone as far as specs. Having said that, I am going to continue using my Note 5 at least until the Note 6 comes out. I couldn't see getting an I-Phone over the S7 unless you absolutely had to stay with the Apple ecosystem for some reason.

Since Samsung and Android don't want to play nice with the new version of the ATT Cisco micro cell. I'm going to have to switch to one of the iPhone 6 plus versions.

Getting tired having to go into the hidden settings to disable LTE so my Notes will connect to the new micro cell at my house, then go back in and turn on LTE when I leave. Even more annoying as the Notes work perfect with the old model microcell at my lake cabin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Since Samsung and Android don't want to play nice with the new version of the ATT Cisco micro cell. I'm going to have to switch to one of the iPhone 6 plus versions.

Getting tired having to go into the hidden settings to disable LTE so my Notes will connect to the new micro cell at my house, then go back in and turn on LTE when I leave. Even more annoying as the Notes work perfect with the old model microcell at my lake cabin.

Is WiFi calling an option? Since the latest iOS update made it available to Verizon customers my Verizon Network Extender is no longer necessary. Maybe you can use that on your Samsung instead of having to buy a new iPhone to make your microcell work.

Is WiFi calling an option? Since the latest iOS update made it available to Verizon customers my Verizon Network Extender is no longer necessary. Maybe you can use that on your Samsung instead of having to buy a new iPhone to make your microcell work.
That was my first thought. Not available on Note 4.

I was not even aware that this was an option yet, but sure enough the tab is there in the setting now. Unfortunately, when I try to activate it it tells me to contact verizon. I am certain I have everything enabled for it to work. I guess I just have to make the call....

I was not even aware that this was an option yet, but sure enough the tab is there in the setting now. Unfortunately, when I try to activate it it tells me to contact verizon. I am certain I have everything enabled for it to work. I guess I just have to make the call....

Strange. Do you have voice over LTE enabled? I think that is required to use WiFi calling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)