Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
UPDATE: Apple to ditch headphone jack with iPhone 7
2:19 pm ET June 21, 2016 (MarketWatch)
Print

By Daisuke Wakabayashi and Eva Dou

Apple to remove headphone jack, but bigger upgrades planned for iPhone 8 in 2017

Apple Inc. plans to break with its recent pattern of overhauling the design of its flagship iPhone every two years and make only subtle changes in the models it will release this fall, according to people familiar with the matter.

Among other things, those people said, Apple's (AAPL) newest phones will maintain the current 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch displays. Those are the sizes of the larger-display models Apple introduced in 2014, and refreshed with newer models last fall.

The biggest planned change in this year's phones is the removal of the headphone plug, which will make the phone thinner and improve its water resistance, said people with that matter. The Lightning connector will serve double-duty as a port for charging the phone and for connecting headphones, they said. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he expects the new iPhone, without the headphone plug, to be one millimeter thinner than the current iPhone.

Apple plans bigger design changes for 2017, the 10th anniversary of the original iPhone (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-super-cycle-expected-for-iphone-8-not-iphone-7-2016-06-15). Those changes could include an edge-to-edge organic light-emitting diode, or OLED, screen and eliminating the home button by building the fingerprint sensor into the display, according to people familiar with the matter.

In the past, Apple has introduced new iPhones on a "ticktock" cycle. Apple delivers major design changes every other year -- the "tick" years -- followed by software improvements and hardware refinements in the "tock" years. It isn't clear whether this year's shift is a temporary or permanent departure from this pattern.

An expanded version of this story is available at WSJ.com (http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-unlikely-to-make-big-changes-for-next-iphone-1466526489)

-Daisuke Wakabayashi; 415-439-6400; AskNewswires@dowjones.com

Based on this rumor I will seek to get a discount on the 6s for my wife and just skip the 7. I had planned to do an upgrade from her 5 this Fall. She wants more memory and has taken an interest in shooting more photos and video this past year. I am really happy with my 6+, mostly because of it's size.

So to anyone who has the 6s now, how do you like the finger print sensor? Is it pretty reliable? I don't use it because it was always frustrating on my 6+.

I'm due to replace my 6 this year. I've updated through AT&T every other year for quite a while. I think I'm going to get the 7 direct from Apple through their iPhone Upgrade Program. New phone every year going forward. :thumbup

I have a 6+, when the 6S+ Came out I got it and returned it a few days later... The 3D Touch was just a gimmick that I was able to emulate with a jailbreak and ultimately its just a long push.. I couldn't see spending $800 on something I could do with my existing phone.

I have been holding off for the iPhone 7 and upgrading my 6+ but if the only real change is they got rid of the headphone jack... why bother?

Not sure if I like the direction Apple is going.

I have a 6+, when the 6S+ Came out I got it and returned it a few days later... The 3D Touch was just a gimmick that I was able to emulate with a jailbreak and ultimately its just a long push.. I couldn't see spending $800 on something I could do with my existing phone.

I have been holding off for the iPhone 7 and upgrading my 6+ but if the only real change is they got rid of the headphone jack... why bother?

Not sure if I like the direction Apple is going.

They are in a tough spot because there are only so many improvements you can make to a phone every year besides a faster processor and better camera. Everyone expects them to announce huge innovations at every press conference so they end up hyping up things like 3D touch as if it will change your life.

I never saw the sense in trying to upgrade to the new iPhone every year because whatever the new feature is is typically something I don't have to have. I did upgrade from a 4S to a 5 for LTE support but that is the only time I have bought one two years in a row. Touch ID was a cool idea on the 5S but I didn't feel it was worth upgrading from my 5 for. I'm glad I waited for the 6 because it gave me Touch ID plus a larger phone.

The iPhone 7 is going to have to have some crazy feature I don't even know I want yet in order to get me to upgrade from my 6. I love the design of the 6 and it can do everything I need from a phone and more. I'm still not even ready for an upgrade from my iPad 4 from 2013. That thing still runs all my apps perfectly.

I wasn't aware that lightning headphones existed.

If they are truly digital, that means an outboard DAC and amplifier (with their attendant power consumption) and explains why a set of ear buds is $50.

Those without bluetooth in their vehicles will have to upgrade their mobile sound systems again.

I went all out when I got the iphone 6+, opting for the 128GB version. I figured it would be good for 3-4 years of use. However, Apple is now reporting major upgrade cycles of 3 years instead of two, so I see having to make my 6+ last for about 6 years.

Note that the 7 is rumored to be another 1mm thinner. I really don't need that and would rather have a more powerful battery. Obviously, thinner means smaller battery mah.

iphone 8: rumored to be OLED screen (BFD), no hard buttons, and magnetic charger, like the Apple watch. Lightnin connector gone altogether for a total water proof phone. Is that important to me? Not really.

My wife also wants a new ipad. She is still using the original ipad 1 and as you all know, many apps won't run on it. Our upgrade path will be she gets my ipad 3 and I may opt for a 9" ipad pro. I don't see the need to get a Verizon radio model since we usually tether from our iphones easy enough. I can drop that device from our monthly billing.

I don't see the need to get a Verizon radio model since we usually tether from our iphones easy enough. I can drop that device from our monthly billing.

In case you are not aware, WiFi only models do not have a GPS chip. I forgot about that detail when I ordered my 9" iPad Pro. It will get you the ballpark location with WiFi but it's a bit slow and imprecise.

My 6+ will continue to serve me just fine. Although I will eventually replace the battery.

Our iPad3 still serves us well. The cellular data no longer works but tethers fine.

In case you are not aware, WiFi only models do not have a GPS chip. I forgot about that detail when I ordered my 9" iPad Pro. It will get you the ballpark location with WiFi but it's a bit slow and imprecise.

I bought the LTE version of my iPad 4 but I have never actually used it. Right after I bought it Verizon started allowing WiFi hotspot from smartphones without an extra charge. It's only $10 per month to let the iPad share my family plan's data but I don't see the point of paying it.

WiFi hotspot from the iPhone lets me use that same data plan at the same speeds without paying extra. This iPad 4 will be the first and last time I pay extra for LTE support on an iPad. I'm sure the WiFi location services without GPS would be accurate enough for anything I would need to do on an iPad. It's not like I would be using the iPad for navigation while driving around.

I bought the LTE version of my iPad 4 but I have never actually used it. Right after I bought it Verizon started allowing WiFi hotspot from smartphones without an extra charge. It's only $10 per month to let the iPad share my family plan's data but I don't see the point of paying it.

WiFi hotspot from the iPhone lets me use that same data plan at the same speeds without paying extra. This iPad 4 will be the first and last time I pay extra for LTE support on an iPad. I'm sure the WiFi location services without GPS would be accurate enough for anything I would need to do on an iPad. It's not like I would be using the iPad for navigation while driving around.

Besides the Pro, I also have a current model Mini with the cellular. On an astronomy app I use pretty frequently it makes a big difference in startup time for the app which iPad I'm on. The WiFi location is much slower. Not a big deal for most I suppose but I wanted to point out the difference to Don in case he cares.

Thanks for the tip. It's looking like my best ipad Pro deal is with the Verizon upgrade anyway. I get $250 off the full price for 128Gb model with Verizon radio. Save about $30 also by paying cash as opposed to the monthly charge.

Keeping the $10 a month for the cellular data share is a wash on the cost of the new ipad Pro. So for 2 year commitment might as well keep it. But I agree that with Verizon free tether, most of the time I use my iphone 6+ and wife's ipad 1 and my Surface Pro, being wifi only, work just as well tethered. King- if you are doing a Verizon upgrade in the future you should verify if buying from Verizon is actually cheaper than a wifi only from the Apple store.

Thanks for the tip. It's looking like my best ipad Pro deal is with the Verizon upgrade anyway. I get $250 off the full price for 128Gb model with Verizon radio. Save about $30 also by paying cash as opposed to the monthly charge.

Keeping the $10 a month for the cellular data share is a wash on the cost of the new ipad Pro. So for 2 year commitment might as well keep it. But I agree that with Verizon free tether, most of the time I use my iphone 6+ and wife's ipad 1 and my Surface Pro, being wifi only, work just as well tethered. King- if you are doing a Verizon upgrade in the future you should verify if buying from Verizon is actually cheaper than a wifi only from the Apple store.

I will keep that in mind. I wasn't even aware Verizon offered subsidized iPads. I don't think they were doing that when I bought my iPad 4 with Verizon LTE from the Apple Store back in 2013.

I would probably still go with a WiFi only model from the Apple Store unless it's significantly cheaper at Verizon just to avoid the 2 year contract.

Edit: Either way I'm not looking to upgrade right now. I'm still happy with my 4th gen iPad and I'll probably be sticking with it for at least another year or two.

I've been with verizon for about 15 years now so a 2 year contract is not a big deal. If I stop traveling, I'll probably end the higher cost service and go with something much cheaper that works locally. I only have Verizon because of the superior service over a wide area.

The rumors have been going back and forth about the removal of the headphone jack, so I am not going to base any decisions on whether to buy because this particular design feature is removed. Besides, I have the Lightning base which includes the headphone jack, so my stereo should still work with the new iPhones.

It's too bad that Apple couldn't have waited another four years before eliminating the 30-pin dock connector when they introduced the iPhone 5. That way they could have gone directly to the USB C connector and still done everything they wanted with Lightning. Because you know in a few years that they are going to drop Lightning for USB C and make us all buy new adapters/dongles/cables/chargers, etc.

Although, personally I like the Lightning connector/plug better than the USB C connectors and plugs since I worry about that thin little blade inside the connector cavity. Seems likely something will break it eventually. At least the Lightning plug is pretty substantial.

So to anyone who has the 6s now, how do you like the finger print sensor? Is it pretty reliable? I don't use it because it was always frustrating on my 6+.
I love it! The sensor is very fast and reliable. Better than on the iPhone 6. I use it all the time and can't imagine going back to entering pins. And it's not just for waking up the phone, many apps that require authentication support it too. Makes it much easier to use them.

As for the absence of the headphone jack on the 7, that's a deal-breaker for me. I have finally found the headphones I really love and use them all the time and I don't want any extra adapters. So I will likely skip the 7.

I love it! The sensor is very fast and reliable. Better than on the iPhone 6. I use it all the time and can't imagine going back to entering pins. And it's not just for waking up the phone, many apps that require authentication support it too. Makes it much easier to use them.

As for the absence of the headphone jack on the 7, that's a deal-breaker for me. I have finally found the headphones I really love and use them all the time and I don't want any extra adapters. So I will likely skip the 7.

I think the idea of removing the headphone jack sucks too. I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker for me but I certainly don't like it. If they are doing this to shave a few more millimeters off the thickness of the iPhone 7 I would much rather they didn't. The iPhone 6 is already thin enough for me and I think the benefits of a standard headphone jack greatly outweigh being able to advertise that they are now even thinner than they were before.

I use multiple pairs of headphones on my iPhone all the time and none of them are the Apple earbuds. I just don't like putting earbuds of any kind into my ears. I think headphones are much more comfortable and they also sound better. I use a nice pair of noise canceling headphones at home when I'm doing things like mowing the lawn, I have a different pair I keep in my gym bag, and another pair I keep in my desk at work.

I don't want to buy 3 different adapters to keep attached to my headphones and I certainly don't want to just buy one and carry it around everywhere I go. I also don't have any interest in going out and buying expensive new headphones with native lighting support instead of the standard headphone plug when my current headphones are great. Even if I was open to buying all new stuff I use my headphones with other devices pretty regularly so new ones that require a lightning port would suck. I think if I were to go out and buy all new pairs I would probably switch to Bluetooth just for compatibility's sake. That comes with it's own downsides though.

I'm not planning on upgrading from my iPhone 6 yet anyways but I still hope this rumor turns out to be false because I would like to buy another iPhone at some point. If it goes away for the iPhone 7 it's doubtful that they will go back to a thicker iPhone with a headphone jack in the future.

Thanks, for the confirmation on the finger print scanner.

Reminder- keep in mind the iphone 7 specs are just rumor so who knows if this lack of a phone jack is 7 or some future plan. If true about being thinner, that also bothers me as it seems thin enough and I worry about a battery that doesn't last as long. I suppose, if the phone jack is to be obsolete, I could be happy with BT phones anyway. I use headphones rarely now since retiring from TV Production. But when shooting for broadcast, I got used to the IFB requirements. I can't remember when I last used the headphones. But I do carry ear buds when I think I'm going to listen to audio books on the iphone. BT ear buds, I could get used to. If the rumor is true and no more phone jack, think of your alternative- No more iphone upgrades forever? That's the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)