iPhone experience

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Just thought I'd share a minor experience with my iPhone. I am very happy with it.

I lost bluetooth capability with my Motorola earpiece. Figured the Motorola was going bad, as happened before. Was planning on resyncing it. Before I could, I found my iPhone was in "phone" mode only. Could not get to another mode by pressing the bottom key. It was like the key was bad.

I pressed the bottom and top (home) keys at the same time for ten seconds, to "hard reboot" it. After about 7 or 8 seconds, the apple icon appeared.

All was well. Bottom key worked, no data lost, and bluetooth suddenly worked just fine again.

So I guess every once in a while a hard reset is needed. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

But I'm still quite happy with it.

Just thought I'd share a minor experience with my iPhone. I am very happy with it.

I lost bluetooth capability with my Motorola earpiece. Figured the Motorola was going bad, as happened before. Was planning on resyncing it. Before I could, I found my iPhone was in "phone" mode only. Could not get to another mode by pressing the bottom key. It was like the key was bad.

I pressed the bottom and top (home) keys at the same time for ten seconds, to "hard reboot" it. After about 7 or 8 seconds, the apple icon appeared.

All was well. Bottom key worked, no data lost, and bluetooth suddenly worked just fine again.

So I guess every once in a while a hard reset is needed. Surprise, surprise. :rolleyes:

But I'm still quite happy with it.
I thought Mac OS never had any problems??? :rolleyes:

:p

Knock on wood my Mac Mini has been up for 18 days straight (last time the reboot was due to an OS update).

I have to constantly every 2-3 days reboot my iPhone. :mad:

Hard reset or soft reset?

In most phone terms a hard reset is reset the phone to just like you took it out of the box.

The iPhone has an option to restore factory defaults, supposedly without losing any data. Not sure I'd want to try that. The two button thing worked just fine for me.

The I phone crashes due to lack of memory for the CPU. A soft reset clears the memory. The new IPHONE rumored to be revealed at WDC conference this month is supposed to double the CPU memory.

That sounds more like a windows MObile trait than an Apple OS trait. :D

My XV6800 requires the least frequent rebooting ( soft reset) Usually I reboot it every day automatically as a routine part of the Backup system process that saves to the SD card at 4AM.

The hard reset has been done twice since I owned it. Both of those times the phone just started acting like Navychop described, the hard buttons became non functional and part of the screen was missing. The factory restore plus a restore from my latest daily backup fixes everything.

Do any of you iphone users ever use backup applications like I described for the win mobile phone?

jag is that itunes backup similar to what we did when my soninlaw upgraded his contacts list from one phone to the iphone? It was done via a Mac computer connection and I thought it went through the itunes web page but I wasn't paying that close attention. If so, do you have to execute a backup with the itunes store every day? I'm referring to backing up your daily calendar and other notes, pictures videos and such? How long does it take for say a 4G of storage to backup?

Don, check out the Microsoft MyPhone backup program. Backs up things over the air automatically.

I can't use it though as it doesn't work if you have an Exchange Server setup since they figure you'll back up your contacts and such there.

Oh this is not for me, I was interested in what is available for the iphone. I use Sprite backup. I've had it since first using a PDA back in the IPAQ days. It stores the last 5 days backup cab on my SD card each day at 4AM. When I need to restore from a hard reset factory new, I just double tap that file in the sd card folder and after a few minutes and a reboot the phone is back to normal. Having it backup every day I am never without the latest calendar and other entries. Plus it's great for upgrading the rom and OS. Even works to a new phone when I changed from the 6700 to the 6800 although I did have to go back and rekey the serial numbers for the software.

I have to reboot every couple of weeks or so but for me it is much less than my last HTC WinMobile phone. Seemed like I was doing every three or four days to get it working with bluetooth or wifi correctly again.

jag is that itunes backup similar to what we did when my soninlaw upgraded his contacts list from one phone to the iphone? It was done via a Mac computer connection and I thought it went through the itunes web page but I wasn't paying that close attention. If so, do you have to execute a backup with the itunes store every day? I'm referring to backing up your daily calendar and other notes, pictures videos and such? How long does it take for say a 4G of storage to backup?

It doesn't backup to the iTunes store. Remember the store is different that just a local copy of iTunes. Every time you hook up your phone to your computer it will auto sync for you. The backups don't take long as it only copies the data that is changed.

Oh this is not for me, I was interested in what is available for the iphone. I use Sprite backup. I've had it since first using a PDA back in the IPAQ days. It stores the last 5 days backup cab on my SD card each day at 4AM. When I need to restore from a hard reset factory new, I just double tap that file in the sd card folder and after a few minutes and a reboot the phone is back to normal. Having it backup every day I am never without the latest calendar and other entries. Plus it's great for upgrading the rom and OS. Even works to a new phone when I changed from the 6700 to the 6800 although I did have to go back and rekey the serial numbers for the software.

I would do both as it doesn't work well if your phone is lost. Kinda like the same rule that you should also store your backup of your PC files in a different location than the PC itself.

I do that, digiblur. But I do that much less often, certainly every time I add new software. I have two micro sd cards that I swap back and forth. They are clones! :) It was the easiest way to achieve that need. I also keep a copy on my laptop hard drive. And since I was once caught in the field with a laptop hard drive gone south, I carry a ghost made drive ready to plug into my laptop stored in my mobile office travel bag and monthly images on the network drive at home. When your business depends on computer files, it pays to be religious about backups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)