Iphone screen replacement

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Dropped my iphone 4S today, and screwed up the screen.

Last time I had the screen replaced, I paid $100 and I think I got some cheap clone part because my screen was not as sharp and had a yellowish tint to it.

Whats the best way to get an apple OEM replacement screen, without spending an arm and a leg.

I go on ebay, I see replacement screens for $15 that I install myself, There are stores in my area that want to do the entire replacement for $100 including labor, and Apple I think wants $200.

I want an OEM product, don't think $100 is bad, but $200 through Apple is crazy

Please help

Hi Claude, don't know if it would work, may depending on the situation but I broke my glass about a month into owning my phone. Went to the iPhone store and was able to get a one time replacement. I don't know if it was because I only had had it for a short period of time? Don't know if that's sometimes you may want to look into?

Oh yeah, i would go for the entire LCD plus digitizer replacement assembly. Instead of just the digitizer alone or the LCD alone. When i was doing my kids LCD on a itouch. I ended cracking the digitizer screen. Trying to separate the LCD from the digitizer. Had to spend another 15 bucks and wait another week for that part to arrive. Got it done though. But, i wished i just ordered the entire assembly instead of individual components. Nowdays my kids have phones. Daughter broke her epic 4g slider. Had to replace the ribbon cable on the sliding keypad. Again, what a PIA.

Otter box Defender.

I broke the screen on my 3G. Bought a cheap aftermarket DIY replacement. PIA. Did not quite work right. Ill at the time, just upgraded to the 3GS. Will never try to replace such again. But I might go with the $100 fix.

Some have more success with their DIY fix.

Took mine (iphone 4) to the apple store in January. They replaced it , it was like 1 week old cost me 150 they never said but although he pulled it from a new box i suspected it was a factory referb. I would go that route again. plain & simple

my other options = insurance $9 per month (verizon) X2 (yearly cost $216) has 150 deductable = maybe the apple icare plan is better but for now i have no insurance & both phones are in otterboxes

My wife dropped her 4s 3 weeks into us having our iPhones and the glass shattered. I called and had AppleCare added and immediately did the $49 replacement on her phone no questions asked.

Within a month of that I ordered us Otterbox defender cases.

I've changed out the screens on an iTouch 3, and an iPhone 3GS.
The digitizer and LCD are separate parts, and are relatively easy to replace.
Well, they are the second time. First time, it's a little worrysome.
I researched the #@*^ out of the subject on youtube first, and had some confidence going into it.
The best way is to not rebuild your screen assembly with a new digitizer panel for $5-12, but to buy the whole subassembly for around $15-18, and just remount your good & working LCD onto it.

I've done two or three screens on the iPhone 4.
The only way to get 'em is to buy the digitizer WITH LCD attached.
They go for $28-35 on Amazon.
Back then, the 4S screen wasn't available, but now I see it's in the same price range.
You'd better have warmed up by doing a few iPhone 3 or iTouch screens before tackling an iPhone 4
They are a nightmare!.

I have a setup consisting of a yellow towel, several magnetic sheets*, plus numerous screwdrivers, tweezers, and plastic pry bars.
There are many repair videos and you'd better watch 'em all, because some of them leave out critical steps!
If you drop just one of the two dozen screws, you are screwed.
I have spare screw kits on hand!
Also, some of the shields need to be cleaned of finger oils before being reinstalled .
Failure to do so, can result in reduced signal strength.
That's not B/S - it happened to me on one phone! :(

After putting a slightly yellowish screen on my first iPhone 4, I did a comparison with my iPhone 3GS (which still had factory LCD).
Turns out , the slightly warmer color is actually more accurate and attractive.
The original is too bluish.

I always put a clear screen protector on the digitizer once it's installed on the phone.
I also put a clear sticky protector sheet on the glass back.
They do not affect the clarity, though I've read maybe the matte finish ones might.
THEN, I put the iPhone 4 into a bumper case.
Many are available on Amazon for under $2 shipped, so get some.!.!

Think that covers most of what I've learned.
...oh, when I've got the screen off, I also clean/change the Home button, too!
After learning first hand how hard the iPhone 4 screens are to do, I wouldn't touch one for less than $100.
On a 3 or 3GS maybe $50, for a friend.
And no, I am NOT soliciting business!

* magnetic sheet: refrigerator magnet; flat magnetic rubber sheet around 6x8 inches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)