iPod died, need replacement Gadget!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Baker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Somewhere in space
So my iPod drive kicked the bucket a while back, I was able to reformat it and make it work for a while, but it obviously has sector damage, as it failed again. I'm tired of screwing with it, its an older 40GB iPod without video/color/photo support.

So I want a replacement unit! I know that now Apple only sells iPods without accessories it seems, which I guess my accessories (desk dock, etc) would still work on a new one. But what else should I consider? I want to get something that can playback video, so I was looking at the Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB (vs. the iPod 30GB video version). I dont have any issue ripping my vast iTunes library to mp3, so I guess I am just looking for info about which unit operates better. It appears that the Zen plays a wider assortment of video types and comes with all the accessories the iPod used to include.

Ultimate goal is to have a good unit to play back audio as well as video in my car. My stereo already has an ipod adater installed, but its GUI sucks, so I dont mind not using it. I read somewhere that many new iPods die fairly quickly, high return rates. Is that true? I also wonder, with a unit like the video iPod or video Zen units, does anything display on the video output when playing music, or does it only pass a video signal from a video file?

Zen

Kirby Baker said:
So my iPod drive kicked the bucket a while back, I was able to reformat it and make it work for a while, but it obviously has sector damage, as it failed again. I'm tired of screwing with it, its an older 40GB iPod without video/color/photo support.

So I want a replacement unit! I know that now Apple only sells iPods without accessories it seems, which I guess my accessories (desk dock, etc) would still work on a new one. But what else should I consider? I want to get something that can playback video, so I was looking at the Creative Zen Vision:M 30GB (vs. the iPod 30GB video version). I dont have any issue ripping my vast iTunes library to mp3, so I guess I am just looking for info about which unit operates better. It appears that the Zen plays a wider assortment of video types and comes with all the accessories the iPod used to include.

Ultimate goal is to have a good unit to play back audio as well as video in my car. My stereo already has an ipod adater installed, but its GUI sucks, so I dont mind not using it. I read somewhere that many new iPods die fairly quickly, high return rates. Is that true? I also wonder, with a unit like the video iPod or video Zen units, does anything display on the video output when playing music, or does it only pass a video signal from a video file?

I ALSO HAVE A 3RD GEN IPOD THAT IS IN FOR BATTERY REPLACEMENT (DID NOT FEEL LIKE MESSING WITH THE KITS AVAILABLE). Apple just sends a refurbed one back...not your own one!

IMHO, the older Ipods were MUCH more reliable than the newer ones! Better sound too! Have you asked on the apple forum site about possible fixes? Mine started making clicking noise a few years ago and the forum told me to hold it in one hand and "spank" (BAD IPOD )the back with the other...Wierd huh...Apparently that frees up a drive head that sticks...worked and never happened again!:eek:

The Zen gets rave reviews, has a user replaceable battery, but also learned from Apple...charger is separate! (about $25 at Walmart. There have been reports of OS issues from time to time although I believe there is also upgradable firmware...rumor has it a NEW model is about to appear so maybe you can snag one of the current ones at a price. I checked one out with my Bose Quiet comfort 2 noise cancelling headphones...great sound. Walmart has them with a 90 day return policy!

Also plz check out my post above about the Archos DV 500. It is quite a bit larger, costs more than the Zen, BUT OH, DOES SO MUCH MORE! Will sell the returning gen 3 Ipod on Ebay!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)