ipod question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk409

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 12, 2005
LI,NY
It is my understanding that with the ipod you can only use the apples compression format, no mp3 or wma, correct? Also that the music had to be purchased through itunes in order for it to work, if you do no have the cd that you could rip from. I was on another board and some said that i was completly wrong.

I was trying to say how the ipod was mainly all hype because now there are better alternative that not only do music but also video and picture(and yes i know about the ipod photo). I just didnt understand why someone would buy and ipod that has a non color screen for that much money. And would let you play music from anywhere, could be in mp3, mp4 or wma.

No the iPod can play mp3's, it can not play wma files directly, but I saw in my iTunes that it can convert wma files to aac files to play them on an iPod, so you won't have to re-rip all your cd's.

so i would be able to use napster with an ipod?

napster as you probably know only lets you rent songs for that monthly fee. you can specifically buy songs as well, but, once you stop paying their subscription none of the other songs you download will play. to make this work for napster the actual player also has to be tied in with their scheme (the MP3 player looks for a key w/ each music file to make sure you are still a subscriber). Apple did not partner up with napster so you can't use the service easily. it can be done, but not right out of the box. have a look on the napster website and it tells you how to use an iPod if you really want to.

ipod is a great product, though. by far the BEST feature for me is the hundreds if not thousands of aftermarket accessories you can by for them. most mp3 players limit you to the manufacturers case, remote, etc. with the ipod, you can find just about anything you're dreaming of... want to buy a remote? you'll have a dozen to choose from. basically, lots of choices for anything you want to buy. that alone makes them worth the money in my book.

-t

The Napster subscription model does not work with the Ipod. You can purchase songs from Napster for $0.99 then burn them to a cd and then re import them into Itunes, but if your going to do that you might as well buy them from Itunes. I have 3 iPods and love them. A guy I work with had Napster and got sick of paying the monthly fee. Once he canceled all his songs stopped working and he ended up having to buy the music he wanted for $0.99 a piece.

but what about the iriver, you can not use that with napster? what about other place like edonkey, winmx, etc. what would be a good player to use in conjunction with those?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts