IPTV with dvbs2 and dvb and etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ussexplroer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Okay so I get IPTV but what about these boxes that show satellite and iptv mfg for USA. Is there something special about it? I see you can get it via satellite or internet. The example I found about the satelite is using a pc card. The rest of the stuff is the internet. I see some cable companies use it.

The box I was looking at was the ibox x7. I found this while looking for the x2 premium hd.

So fill me in.

Thanks,

Josh

I also noticed the high end azbox hd etc supported it too. This is ofcourse my dream box. Since it supports almost everything. But at least on ebay when I checked it out. It says supports iptv.

thanks,

Josh

It depends on what you mean by IPTV. NO consumer satellite receiver supports IPTV as broadcast on satellite or fiber! For satellite IPTV, you'll need a PC card, and good luck figuring out how to decode it. (There's a section at Rick's forum if you really want to get into it.) For fiber-to-the-home IPTV, you'll need to subscribe, and deal with whatever receiver they give you.

When they say IPTV on a satellite box, they mean streaming over the public Internet, such as you could view on your computer with your video player of choice. NOT necessarily web video, mind you -- the web browsers on some of these boxes don't support Flash video, as far as I know. If you're lucky, they'll have an app for Youtube. The sort of streaming video you can get is what you get if you click on a link and it opens up Windows Media Player, or VLC, or whatever. And most of them won't actually play Windows Media formats, just public-domain formats. (I've encountered at least one box that will play Windows Video, but not Windows Audio. Really helpful, that!)

I searched for the ibox x7, and all I saw were Chinese dealers/wholesalers selling into the hacker market.
It wasn't an exhaustive search.

Support on such receivers is often poor, with a new unit marketed every six months, instead of fixing the original box.

We do have an AZbox-specific forum here.
I would recommend reading up on the problems & successes users have reported.
I'm not up to date, but I think some models have been discontinued.
Were I to consider one, I'd focus on the miniME being supported out of Canada, with North American specific mods, only.

Frankly, I find bundling all those features in a single box just means you have to compromise.
For several years, I've had a Western Digital TV Live Plus.
It has newer cousins, But just got a firmware update last month!
Recently, I got the best S2 receiver I could find.
The total cost of both was less, and each is optimized for one purpose.
If a significantly better media player or FTA receiver come along, I just replace one component! ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts