IR Blaster On 622

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I got my 622 today and install is this Saturday. I'm reading the manual and it states it has a IR Blaster function. I can't find anywhere in there how to set it up. How would I make it work?

garys said:
That is used to record to VCR or DVD recorders. Check 'Controllin Other Components' in Chapter 10.
Manual's at home right now. Does anyone know if it supports the Panasonic E85 DVD recorder?

ralfyguy said:
I understand what it does, but how does get enabled? Chapter 10 doesn't mention IR blaster.

I never heard anyone at E* using that term. If you have a unit which can be controlled by the blaster and recognized by the 622, you use the timer fuctions to control it for recording, The book doesn't do it justice and E* handles it as a convenience and kind of downplays it. You pretty much have to test it to get it to work the way you want.

There must be a seperate piece of hardware that needs to be connected or how would the signal get from the 622 to the DVD recorder?

I had a Sony VCR once that had a similar feature and it was a little module (sort of looked like a PC mouse) that had an IR emitter on it. It came with a velcro strip to stabalize it near the cable box and had a wire running back to the VCR. Is this similar to that?

The infrared blaster is on the front panel. The center one is the sensor and the two outer ones are the blaster.

Now for "the rest of the story." The blaster sends out from the front panel, the signal reflects off the far wall, back into the front of the VCR, etc. The beam might not be strong enough to make the whole trip. When I first started out and only had a couple of 301s, I used this feature. To get it to work, I hung a pillowcase off a ceiling fan that was mid room. That allowed the signal to reach the VCR and operate it. Sometimes it just seemed easier to set the 301 to the right channel and set a timer on the VCR. Got a 721 later and forgot all about the IR blaster.

navychop said:
Now for "the rest of the story." The blaster sends out from the front panel, the signal reflects off the far wall, back into the front of the VCR, etc. The beam might not be strong enough to make the whole trip. When I first started out and only had a couple of 301s, I used this feature. To get it to work, I hung a pillowcase off a ceiling fan that was mid room. That allowed the signal to reach the VCR and operate it. Sometimes it just seemed easier to set the 301 to the right channel and set a timer on the VCR. Got a 721 later and forgot all about the IR blaster.

Wow, was the wife upset about the pillowcase?

Dosen't look like it is programmed for it yet. I got an old 811 manual out and it says to set up the VCR function you go to menu/system setup/installation/vcr setup. 622 - vcr set up is missing.

gdarwin said:
Dosen't look like it is programmed for it yet. I got an old 811 manual out and it says to set up the VCR function you go to menu/system setup/installation/vcr setup. 622 - vcr set up is missing.

Mine has "EXT" listed, assuming it means external, but haven't tried it yet. Manual has nothing listed for it.

IR blaster

It is used for learning to a remote, the RF remote won't ork on some universal remotes. what it does is send out the singal you pick on a certain button, the your learning remote learns the code and so on. used it on my MX500 works great.

navychop said:
Now for "the rest of the story." The blaster sends out from the front panel, the signal reflects off the far wall, back into the front of the VCR, etc. The beam might not be strong enough to make the whole trip. <snip....>

OK, I remember now. Tried to make it work on one of my older receivers for a VCR once. Seems like I had a problem because everything was in a cabinet with a glass door front and glare or reflection was causing the beam to not get through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)