IR extender

broncobri5

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2007
Dayton, OH
I am going to be moving soon, and am going to seperate all of my home theatre components into an opposite corner or another room. I can handle all of my video connections to the TV with one HDMI cable, thanks to my sweet receiver.

I will need to get something to get the IR remote signals to the receiver, DVD player, Dish receiver, etc. There seem to be 2 major options and I wanted to know the difference.

Option A
I thought this was the only option, until I looked on Sat Guys. I am concerned there might be some delay or other downfalls. It would be less expensive and easier to install though.
Powermid Complete Set (Transmitter & Receiver)

Option B
This looks a lot fancier and high tech, but I am not sure what the practical advantage is.
Hot Link Pro

Hardwired Option B is the way to go. I have Cat-5 running about 200' carrying IR signals and it is just like you are in the same room as the equipment. The pyramids work, but there is a slight delay in the conversion of signals from IR to RF and back.

You have probably looked already, but check your TV, as some have IR passthrough built in. I just had to purchase the ir cable with emitter. It works better than the UHF remote. :D

I have several IR extenders in use in a two story house and they work great, they are inexpensive, small, incredibly easy to use and I haven’t noticed any lag time at all. I think
that if IR passthrough is not an option you would be very satisfied with option A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)