IR-to-UHF with a 322 receiver?

TominKY

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
I am scheduled to have DISH install a new dish and 322 receiver next week. I would like to locate the receiver in a closet that currently houses the splitters for the coax runs that go to various rooms in the house. My plan was to split the signals to several TV's throughout the house that are already wired up via co-ax. I would like to use DISH's IR-to-UHF converter to allow the IF remote to function like the UHF. However, I have been told that I will interfere with the signal for the UHF remote that is currently used by the 322. Has anyone tried this? Does the IF-to-UHF upgrade kit run on a different channel than the UHF remote that comes with the 322? If not, can either remote be reprogrammed to use a different channel?

Also, how does the IF channel of the 322 hook up to the TV? Does it use coax, or can it only be hooked up via the A/V outputs?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Tom

You can buy an additional UHF remote for only 32.99 from dishstore.net. Plus if you order by Friday you can get 10% off your total order.

I'm not sure if you understand my question, so I will try to simplify:

What I REALLY need is a dual-channel receiver (that feeds two sets) that uses TWO UHF remotes. The 322 uses one infrared and one UHF remote. I would like to use the IF-to-UHF converter to convert the IF on the 322 to UHF. This would allow me to mount the receiver in a remote location, instead of on top of one of the TV's.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Do they not just use different device numbers for the two tuners? Being completely uneducated in the matter that's how I'd guess it would work.

Or are the 522 and 322 completely different from other systems as far as remotes are concerned?

Thats what I suggested you buy another UHF remote. Then you will have UHF for both TV1 and TV2. Forget about using any converter (a remote is cheaper and more reliable)

Kevin,

How will the UHF remote control TV1 unless I also have the IR-to-UHF convertor? I'm pretty sure that DISH's convertor kit comes with its own remote, although I have seen some aftermarket kits that modify the IR remote to send a UHF signal. My concern is that DISH intended the conversion kit to replace the IR remote for single tuners, not dual ones like the 322/522, and thus might use the same frequency as the UHF side (TV2) currently uses on the 322/522. Of course, if someone was setting up for four TV's and used two 322's, or two 522's, etc., there must be some way to keep the respective UHF remotes from interfering with each other.

I was just hoping that someone had tried this and could tell me for sure before I spend the money. I can prevent quite a bit of cable routing in a finished basement if I can come up with a way to mount the 322 in the closet - much like a fileserver.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

BTW - can someone tell me if both TV1 and TV2 can be connected to the 322 via coax? I have older sets that do not have AV inputs on them.

Thanks,

Tom

There is some instructions posted (I need to do a search to find) that explain how to change TV1 from using IR remote to using either (I am not home so I can't even tell you the menu selection) Its really easy to do. I've done it on both my 522 and 322.

And yes you can use the coax connections for bot TV1 and TV2.
TV1 will be channel 3 or 4 and TV2 can be any channel from 21 to 69 (or cable ch 71 to 125)

You don't need another UHF remote. Take the TV1 remote, remove the battery cover, pull out the TV1 tab, flip it around, stick it back in, replace the battery cover.

Tada.. UHF remote.

Now, address TV1 on your 322 to a different UHF address than TV2.

This is a feature Dish worked into the 322/522 remotes for just this very reason. They weren't able to do this when the 322 was first introduced.

Sorry BC it doesn't work that way. The TV1 remote that comes with the 322/522 is IR only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts