Is 2 Dish accounts possible using one dish?

cpa4u

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
Are 2 Dish accounts possible using one dish?

I am selling my current house and building a new one. However, the new one won't be completed until approximately October. So, I am moving in with my folks for a few months. They currently have a Dish account. The dish is a 500 and the receiver is a 301 (I think). Very basic system. I currently have a 522 receiver. My question is whether I can take my receiver with me and somehow hook it up with a splitter or something and use their current dish. I really don't want to have to add another dish to their house for just 3 or 4 months that I'll be there.

Their receiver is hooked up to the phone line so they can use the caller ID function. So, if I am able to hook my 522 up too, will that cause any huge problems with the 2 different receivers on different accounts calling into DISH on the same phone number?

Thanks!!

In order for your receiver to work with their Dish you'll need to upgrade their LNB to either a DP Quad or a DPP Twin. The other option is to install either a DP34 or DPP44 switch.

also, if you plug in your receiver on their phone line it could cause problems when your receiver starts showing up to dish as being at another house... i would just not plug it into a phone line and just pay the additional outlet fee until you get moved into your new house, and if anyone at dish asks, just say your phone service has been shut off for now..

birddoggy said:
also, if you plug in your receiver on their phone line it could cause problems when your receiver starts showing up to dish as being at another house... i would just not plug it into a phone line and just pay the additional outlet fee until you get moved into your new house, and if anyone at dish asks, just say your phone service has been shut off for now..

Couldn't they just inform Dish that this is their home phone for the several months that they are there, to avoid the extra fee?

Unless you are running new cables to the location where your 522 is going your father probably has only a single cable pre run. Your easiest solution would be to use a Dish Pro Plus Twin with a separator for the 522. That combination will allow you the necessary two cables from the dish to the 522. Tell DISH the true story about the temporary location, as long as they are getting paid on your account they shouldn't care where you are.

We can't start recommending buying a DP34 or DPP44 before knowing if the existing LNB/switch combination is legacy or DishPro, as Jahntassa was getting at. That's largely a moot point, however, since I agree that whatever is there (legacy duals, legacy Twin, DP Twin) is best replaced with the DPP Twin. That would be the least invasive option, requiring only 1 new run of RG6 to the 522 when used with a DPP Separator.

cclement said:
Couldn't they just inform Dish that this is their home phone for the several months that they are there, to avoid the extra fee?

maybe, but who knows, the phone number there is probably the one on his parents account, and dish might not like the idea of two accounts with the same phone number

Since this is a temporary situation have your receiver added to their account until you move then obtain your own account. I believe this would be acceptable because it's one household and all one family (for the time being). This will increase their account by $5 per reciever but splitting the total cost with them would be fair for everyone since both would be paying about half. Also you may have to pay for any additional programming if you're not satisfied with what they're already subscribing to.

The real question of how to hook up extra recievers to their dish will depend on the equipment they already have. You may have to purchase a DP34 or DPP44 or even a SW64 if they have legacy LNBs. If extra outputs are already available on their existing system then you're all set. I imagine if extra equipment is needed then you should cover that because it more to your advantage than theirs.

IF you only want to hook up one TV you could plug a single feed off the LNB your perents have into sat port 2 on the 522. This is the input for "TV1". Run a checkswitch. It will say there is a problem with input 1 and TV2 wont work but "TV1" will be fine.

I wouldnt hook up or worry about the phone wire on the 522 if its only for a few months. You may or may not get wacked with a $5 charge because of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)