is 211 OTA dropout less than 811 ?

JH1949

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Corvette City
Had a lot of trouble with marginal OTA signals dropping out below 70 on my leased 811. Could only get one local OTA from 65 miles away with big antenna and preamp.

Does the 942 OTA tuner work better than 811 ?

Does anyone know which OTA tuner will be in the 411/211 ?

Last edited:
All my stations are deep-fringe (DC 55+ miles, Richmond VA 51+ miles, Charlottesville VA 53+ miles, Baltimore MD 90+ miles) and I suffer no multipath issues. In my case, I noticed no difference in OTA performance between the 811 and 942 receiver. I suspect the 942 will do a little better job with multipath, but there is no substitute for a good antenna with a good clean signal.

I have Dish Network and VOOM receivers, and three HDTV with integrated ATSC digital tuners. They all work the same with the exception of my Sony GWIV set...the ATSC tuners is just a tiny bit more sensitive and forgiving. I haven't seen any tuner stats on the 411/211, buy I would suspect it to be very similar, if not identical, to the ATSC tuner in the 942. Plus, even it were an LG 5th generation tuner (which is great at handling multipath issues), I doubt it will improve your weak signal issues.

I know you mentioned that you have a big antenna and big preamp. Anything you can do to increase gain (bigger antenna or repositioning), reduce noise (lower noise preamp), or reduce interference (line splitters or noisy distribution amps) would really help.

Anyway, check-out this post on a ultra low-noise preamp. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=337640&postcount=3

Yeah 811 is crappy ATSC tuner. Up here in valley we get 2 HD on the air here. PBS one we could get reliable but NBC HD 31, we can't even get a lock on the signal on it.
PBS is on 24 and NBC is on 25, they are coming from the same mountain.

Hughes Directv HD pick up both at same signal level without any problmes.

Probably a signal from 60-70%, always very choppy!

You get a picture, but intermitant (sp) signal loss, so it goes choppy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)