Is 3ABN gone from Dish Network?

kraftwerk76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
:(--Hi, all. Late last night, I noticed 3ABN was gone (channel 9710). There is not even a channel 9710 slot now. I emailed Dish Network last night but have not heard from them yet. Has Dish Network dropped this channel? Thanks.

Good. Did a switch check and they're good. Guess I'll call Dish Network and find out what the deal is. Thanks.

Just got off the phone with DN and they said that I'm not supposed to bet that channel with the dish I have. I have a dual LNB for the 110 and 119 satellites. They said that the 3ABN channel is on 61.5 satellite. That is weird, though. How in the world can I get a channel that is on a satellite almost 50 degrees away? I don't know why the channel just disappeared out of the channel listing.

--Besides an FTA system for 3ABN, what would be the cheapest way to get the 61.5 satellite? Could I just simply buy an LNB with the 61.5, 110 and 119 on them? If so, would it involve running another cable somewhere? I have no idea what to do here, haha. According to the channel chart, there are only 9 other channels I could get by having this other orbital location. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--Thanks for the help. I am looking at a DirecTV dish that I have from previous service labeled "Phase III" with a "built-in multi-switch with 4 outputs". The size is 18x20, and it has three LNB's. I could probably use this for 129, right? If so, how would I wire it up to the receiver? My receiver is a 522 and has three inputs for coax. I have one coax going to the "Home Distribution" for my second TV, and another coax going to the remaining "satellite in". There are actually two different "satellite in" connections, but the single cable is run into a Dish Network "separator".

--So, what would be the simplest way to add this dish to my receiver? I am guessing I would have to buy another kind of separator or switch or something, but I am lost looking at all of the wires and cables back there, haha. It may be more trouble than it's worth, but I hate to just throw away this dish and LNB (even though the dish is a bit small for FTA, and the LNB's are the wrong polarity). Thanks for any help.

--Thanks for the help. I am looking at a DirecTV dish that I have from previous service labeled "Phase III" with a "built-in multi-switch with 4 outputs". The size is 18x20, and it has three LNB's. I could probably use this for 129, right? If so, how would I wire it up to the receiver? My receiver is a 522 and has three inputs for coax. I have one coax going to the "Home Distribution" for my second TV, and another coax going to the remaining "satellite in". There are actually two different "satellite in" connections, but the single cable is run into a Dish Network "separator".

--So, what would be the simplest way to add this dish to my receiver? I am guessing I would have to buy another kind of separator or switch or something, but I am lost looking at all of the wires and cables back there, haha. It may be more trouble than it's worth, but I hate to just throw away this dish and LNB (even though the dish is a bit small for FTA, and the LNB's are the wrong polarity). Thanks for any help.

Pretty much cannot use the Phase III. Spacing is wrong for aiming at three Dish satellites. I don't thing the switch is compatible with Dish as well, as only older (legacy) switches work with both DirecTv and Dish.

3ABN is still on. Its on satellites at 61.5 and 129.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out how the OP had 3ABN, but now does not. Especially since they don't have 61.5 or 129. Did you recently move or something?

--Nope, nothing was touched or moved. What it boils down to is that the first few hours after installation, I was flipping through the channels and there was 3ABN, 9710, which at the time was some kids show with Brenda Walsh (a regular on this channel). I went to bed that night, and when I woke up, I started flipping through the channels, and when I went to see what was on 3ABN, the channel location was gone. Not just a blank screen on 9710, but the actual channel slot was missing. There is now just a gap from 9646 straight to 9900. It's too bad they just can't put 9710 where 9900 is, because 9900 states "Congratulations, you have a Dish 500"....a waste of space, haha. Yeah, it is definitely a mystery on how I can receive a channel that is on a satellite 10 degrees, but there it was, plain as day. Who knows, there may have been other channels that were on but are not there now, but I didn't pay attention to them.

Pics.

--Hi, Pepper. Here are some pictures of what I found out. Also, just looking at the dish, it is at least labeled a Dish 500. Hope this is what you need. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 250
Definitely a dish500 with a twin, pointed at 119 and 110. Yet, according to your experience, it was for a few days getting at least one channel from either 61.5 or 129.

That's really weird, unless the guy who installed it realized what he did wrong (or the receiver reported the situation during its periodic "call home" and auto-generated a trouble call) and came back and fixed it without you knowing. Maybe your spouse let him fix his mistake while you were out and forgot to tell you?

Or maybe he forgot to tighten it down, it was pointed at 119/129 and then the wind miraculously blew just the right amount to push it over to 110/119.

Or maybe there was a copy of 3ABN sitting on 110 or 119 for a few days that none of us knew about.

--Hi. Well, I had only had Dish Network installed for a few hours when I found 9710. The next day, the channel was just gone. Nobody messed with the dish, because the installer had already left my house, and it was probably a few hours or so after he left when I discovered the channel there. Regarding the "call home" thing, there is no phone line hooked up to it. The modem is messed up in the receiver in fact, and they are sending me a new receiver in 3 to 5 days. What do you mean by a "copy" of 3ABN?

Sounds like a glitch in the system.

3 Angels (9710) is a free channel as in as long as there is a dish aimed at 129 or 61.5 you'll get the channel

what pepper means with copy is the channel right now is on 61.5 & 129. Sometimes Dish "tests" channels in weird spots without messing with the original channels. So Dish may have tried to put it on 110 or 119 then decided against it.

But my gut says glitch in system

If such a thing had happened I am certain it would have been listed in a recent uplink report, I don't remember seeing any activity for that channel in a very long time.

Thanks, Iceberg. Regardless, though, it was certainly up there at least for a little bit (part of April 8th, maybe around 3 to 5 pm or so?), as I am quite sure I didn't dream this, haha. Maybe it didn't get listed in the uplink report, I dunno. I don't know how my system would have picked up another satellite 10 degrees away, but as far as 9710 3ABN is concerned, it did for a bit...just wish it was back without having to buy more stuff. Oh well, I guess I will just live without it. Thanks for all the help, guys.

when you selected the channel at the time did it actually show programming or just a black screen?

black screen would be gremlins in the system (as noted above)
a picture would REALLY be gremlins in the system ;)