Is 4K tv worth it yet

Because that's not the way it's designed to work. MultiView in 4K essentially gives you four 1080 screens and that's the way it works by design.

Not buying it. The 4 Screens are NOT 1080i/p on mine they are 3840 x 2160p 4K each. The TV would show it displayed as 1080i/p if it was being received as such. You don't divide a 4K signal by 4 to get 4-1080i/p screens.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Not buying it. The 4 Screens are NOT 1080i/p on mine they are 3840 x 2160p 4K each. The TV would show it displayed as 1080i/p if it was being received as such. You don't divide a 4K signal by 4 to get 4-1080i/p screens.

You can 'buy' whatever you want to but that explanation came from the man at Dish who designed the software.

You have a nice day now.

You can 'buy' whatever you want to but that explanation came from the man at Dish who designed the software.

You have a nice day now.

So yer calling me a Liar, in that I'm not seeing 4K when I watch MultiView. What is the name of the software designer, I'd like to call Dish and speak to him.

The LCD panel in your X900E cannot display 4 x 3840x2160p, nor is the Hopper3 capable of displaying that. There isn't even an HDMI standard for that resolution. 3840x2160p is actually the same total resolution as 1920x1080p x 4. You can check the math yourself:

3840 x 2160 = 8294400
1920 x 1080 x 4 = 8294400

Each 1080p screen is 1920x1080. When arranged in a 2 x 2 rectangle, like Multi-view, they fit in a 3840x2160 space. Think of it more as 1920 x 2 x 1080 X 2 as you are only doubling the length and width, not quadrupling them. I hope that helps.

FWIW: I believe you that they look better in Multi-view on your set. I suspect Sony is just doing something clever that we don't understand.

The LCD panel in your X900E cannot display 4 x 3840x2160p, nor is the Hopper3 capable of displaying that. There isn't even an HDMI standard for that resolution. 3840x2160p is actually the same total resolution as 1920x1080p x 4. You can check the math yourself:

3840 x 2160 = 8294400
1920 x 1080 x 4 = 8294400

Each 1080p screen is 1920x1080. When arranged in a 2 x 2 rectangle, like Multi-view, they fit in a 3840x2160 space. Think of it more as 1920 x 2 x 1080 X 2 as you are only doubling the length and width, not quadrupling them. I hope that helps.

FWIW: I believe you that they look better in Multi-view on your set. I suspect Sony is just doing something clever that we don't understand.

I believe it's 4 1080p screens (Thank-U) not 4 4Ks. This explains why the image is better in MultiView (i vs p) I was believing the Sony TV Displaying it as a 4K resolution each in MultiView.

So, Side By Side is 2 1080i screens, when I switch to 4 screens the i to p is very noticeable. The 2 & 4 screen display is the same size, each 37" when I go from one to the other it's very noticeable.

If Dish is transmitting multiView in 3840X2160p for a 1080p X 4 why not transmit more single channels in p?

JSheridan...I'm NOW Buying it-->I'll be eating a very large Crow for Lunch!

If Dish is transmitting multiView in 3840X2160p for a 1080p X 4 why not transmit more single channels in p?

I don't think they are transmitting it in 1080p. I think the Hopper is up-converting it. Given not everyone sees the improvement you do, I am thinking it is your TV that is making it look so good. I guess the possible alternative is your TV is doing something in 1080i mode to make it look worse than it should. Have you turned off all the image processing features on your TV for the Hopper3 input and then compared standard to multi-view? Here is a good starting place for your TV if you haven't already calibrated it:

Sony X900E LED TV Calibration Settings

I don't think they are transmitting it in 1080p. I think the Hopper is up-converting it. Given not everyone sees the improvement you do, I am thinking it is your TV that is making it look so good. I guess the possible alternative is your TV is doing something in 1080i mode to make it look worse than it should. Have you turned off all the image processing features on your TV for the Hopper3 input and then compared standard to multi-view? Here is a good starting place for your TV if you haven't already calibrated it:

Sony X900E LED TV Calibration Settings

Yep, I've calibrated my set. All unnecessary processing is off. I use bypass in my AVR as well.

The only difference is between MultiView (p) and every other view possible. I use MultiView for sports. I noticed the image was so much better in 4-S (MultiView) I started comparing SXS (Side By Side) to S (Single View) to 4-S...Then I dug into the menus of the AVR, Sony TV & Hopper3 to investigate.

Had a few friends over for BBQ & Brew...I showed them SXS & 4-S, got them to stand within 3-5 feet from the set and W/O telling them what I thought asked them to focus on just the Indy Car Race yesterday and tell me what they thought of one vs the other...Unanimous, 4-S was way better from the crowd (3-Brewed up Dudes, LOL!)

The Sony 900e is a bridge TV till OLED sorts out the problems associated with them. So although it's a nice picture I am keeping an eye on OLED.

Reactions: ncted
My son has a 4K TV. He plays high resolution video games. They good fantastic! However I tried to play a 480 SD DVD and the pq was down right horrible, glitches...Is this normal? Dish still has a lot of SD channels, so they will not be watchable?

My son has a 4K TV. He plays high resolution video games. They good fantastic! However I tried to play a 480 SD DVD and the pq was down right horrible, glitches...Is this normal? Dish still has a lot of SD channels, so they will not be watchable?
Not all 4K TVs are the same, my Sony OLED A90J does as good as you can can get with SD programming video while with my TCL LED 7-Series, SD looked as you described.

Also have a Sony LED X95J , SD looks good on it also, Sony‘s TVs are know to have the best processorS for video performance.

If I were buying today, the only LEDs I'd get would be a Sony 930 series or X900 series, the Vizeo P series, or if you want to go whole hog, an LG or Sony Oled. Samsung does not cut the mustard these days IMO.
one of my sets is an X900H. the PQ is amazing. i don't think i could tell the difference from an oled vs led the sony's just upscale so well and there's no banding bleeding or non sense

one of my sets is an X900H. the PQ is amazing. i don't think i could tell the difference from an oled vs led the sony's just upscale so well and there's no banding bleeding or non sense
I have a Sony X95J LED and a Sony A90J OLED and I can say it is a big difference, true 4K with Dolby Vision is just amazing on the OLED since it can do true black, which does greatly help with the picture.

I have a Sony X95J LED and a Sony A90J OLED and I can say it is a big difference, true 4K with Dolby Vision is just amazing on the OLED since it can do true black, which does greatly help with the picture.
While i do agree with you!!! Though the difference is very minimal to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)