Is 4K tv worth it yet

I got a new LG 65" OLED 2017's top of the line model a few months ago and I love it!! Absolutely awesome! It upscales everything even 720 looks good!
The video processor in it is the best you can get on the market at least at the time I purchased so well worth it but it ran me over $3000 which for what I see now compared to my $3000 then 52" sharp Aquas LCD I got back in 2007...well night and day for sure!
My only complaint is lack of 4K content on Dish and else where.
Netflix needs to push 4K streaming on all movies released the day they are released and I'd likely drop everything but ESPN's on Dish.
Netflix has a good measure of 4K/HDR of their original programming, putting them way ahead of the movie studios. The studios are dragging their feet converting to 4K/HDR streaming. Anyone wonder why???

I think it’s still early, because to get a GOOD one, with good scaling, WCG and HDR, and preferably DolbyVision, prices are still rather high.

I expect UHD TVs to be better and cheaper next year. Unless tariffs raise prices.

I may even wait two years.

And standards are still not completely settled.
Thanks alot I just ordered the pioneer 103 AVR that has the pass through for HDR, Dolby Vision, and Atmos, so I will have all that when I pull the trigger on a new set. I think I will give it another year or so to see if the OLED prices go down some more

Bought a Sammy 4k UHD back in the middle of March. Very impressed with the picture quality on Dish and more so on the Fire stick.
If your new Sammy has HDR get the Roku Ultra and see your colors really POP - especially when watching something in Amazon or Netflix done in 4k.
I've found our Samsung 65 inch up-converts the dish content just fine, plus we have a 49 inch TCL 4k in our bedroom that gives what I consider excellent picture from the wireless hopper.

Reactions: stardust3
I see the 2017 OLED65B7A for just under $2,000. I wonder what features are missing for it to be so low, even being last year’s model.

I see the 2017 OLED65B7A for just under $2,000. I wonder what features are missing for it to be so low, even being last year’s model.

Dolby Atmos is the only thing missing. The other 2017 models have this included.
As previously stated the picture is the same on all models.

For me the upgrade to 4K has been worth it.

Most Dish shows do look better than my old 1080p tv. The Netflix shows in 4K look pretty spectacular. And the Blu-rays I have look much better too.

The icing on the cake will be if Dish truly allows us access to the World Cup match on FS1 in 4K HDR. That is the main reason I got the TV since I am a soccer fanatic.
I will be a bit bummed if only a couple games are available.

Amazon has an LG 65 OLED set now for under $1900.

This is kinda a tech site - if you don't give the model number then your just as bad as Walmart.
I believe its a lower scaled model and the video processor isn't as good as the higher end C-E versions... that being said I think I saw something like that for a B version that was rather old with a funky bezzel.

Reactions: HipKat
If ya have a Sony 900e, please try this. Also, any other 4K set should work similar to this just different steps.

Set the Dish Hopper3 "Video Resolution" at "720P" or "4K, 1080p, 1080i"...Now go to any "Single" Channel, then with the Sony TV Remote, Press the "DISPLAY" Button. When I do this it shows: 1080i HD 16:9 0r 720P 16:9 (Depending on the Hopper3 Video Resolution)...

Now with the Dish Remote select "PIP" then select "MultiView" (4-Screens) Again use the Sony TV Remote, Press the "DISPLAY" Button. When I do this it shows: 3840 X 2160p 4K 16:9.

The "Multiview" pictures are drop dead gorgeous. The "Single" screen sucks on my set. I know a smaller screen will be harder to see artifacts but that's not what's going on.

I tested this in "Side By Side" (same size screens displayed as MultiView 37" each) When I Press the "DISPLAY" Button in "Side By Side" on the Sony TV it shows: 1080i HD 16:9 0r 720P 16:9 the same as the "Single" screen Resolution.

What results do you get?

If ya have a Sony 900e, please try this. Also, any other 4K set should work similar to this just different steps.

Set the Dish Hopper3 "Video Resolution" at "720P" or "4K, 1080p, 1080i"...Now go to any "Single" Channel, then with the Sony TV Remote, Press the "DISPLAY" Button. When I do this it shows: 1080i HD 16:9 0r 720P 16:9 (Depending on the Hopper3 Video Resolution)...

Now with the Dish Remote select "PIP" then select "MultiView" (4-Screens) Again use the Sony TV Remote, Press the "DISPLAY" Button. When I do this it shows: 3840 X 2160p 4K 16:9.

The "Multiview" pictures are drop dead gorgeous. The "Single" screen sucks on my set. I know a smaller screen will be harder to see artifacts but that's not what's going on.

I tested this in "Side By Side" (same size screens displayed as MultiView 37" each) When I Press the "DISPLAY" Button in "Side By Side" on the Sony TV it shows: 1080i HD 16:9 0r 720P 16:9 the same as the "Single" screen Resolution.

What results do you get?

I don't have a X900E, but I have an XBR70X850B. I cannot see any real difference when switching if I sit close to the set. Obviously, if I am farther away from the screen, picture flaws are less noticeable on the multi-view or side-by-side display.

I don't have a X900E, but I have an XBR70X850B. I cannot see any real difference when switching if I sit close to the set. Obviously, if I am farther away from the screen, picture flaws are less noticeable on the multi-view or side-by-side display.

Did you check what the TV is showing as the resolution on multiview vs reg view?... On mine, the MultiView is definitely a night & day difference. Mine only does this on MultiView...Strange!

Mrs Volts' eyesight is giving her troubles so last September we went looking for a new set. I was looking for a middle of the road set (and non 4K is rarer than anything) only to find her fixed on an LG OLED. The salesman must have thought it was unusual for the wife to be pushing for the fancier set :) We got the LG and the picture is spectacular. It improves any signal it gets, even old black and white Perry Masons on FETV look good.

Unfortunately there is very little 4k out there on Dish. But when there is, you can tell the difference.

If you're like most people, you are going to live with whatever set you buy for a number of years. Get one you can be satisfied with for the long run. I recommend LG OLED, especially if you can find a last year closeout model.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
Did you check what the TV is showing as the resolution on multiview vs reg view?... On mine, the MultiView is definitely a night & day difference. Mine only does this on MultiView...Strange!

Yeah, that is weird. It was 1080i on single-view, UHD on Multi-view, just like yours.

Then why wouldn't Side By Side be 4K and Regular (Single View) be 4K...Doesn't make sense to me?

Because that's not the way it's designed to work. MultiView in 4K essentially gives you four 1080 screens and that's the way it works by design.

Reactions: Cheddar_Head

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)