Is 99 (s) the same as 99 (b)??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rgn2000

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2007
I just had the 5lnb dish installed. My understanding is that locals are on 99b. When I scroll through the satellites to check signals there is a 99s, but no b. Also there are only the first 6 transponders available which is understandable since it is mostly spot beams. Anyways, I am getting my signals for transponders 1-6 are 62 42 43 44 43 44. A couple of months ago (before I had my dish installed) I had asked a neighbor to check satellite 99b for me and they came back with much higher signals. Now I am in New York and plan on "moving" to the Boston area to get NESN and Boston locals. My understanding is that the Boston locals are on 99 and supposedly transponder 4. The signal I am getting is not good enough. I am about 150 miles away so I should have a better signal then that. Is is possible the dish is not aligned correctly for just satellite 99?? Problem is that I cannot complain to Directv because they will say I have no need for 99 right now. My local HD's happen to be on 103 which I am getting fine.

Thanks

I just had the 5lnb dish installed. My understanding is that locals are on 99b. When I scroll through the satellites to check signals there is a 99s, but no b. Also there are only the first 6 transponders available which is understandable since it is mostly spot beams. Anyways, I am getting my signals for transponders 1-6 are 62 42 43 44 43 44. A couple of months ago (before I had my dish installed) I had asked a neighbor to check satellite 99b for me and they came back with much higher signals. Now I am in New York and plan on "moving" to the Boston area to get NESN and Boston locals. My understanding is that the Boston locals are on 99 and supposedly transponder 4. The signal I am getting is not good enough. I am about 150 miles away so I should have a better signal then that. Is is possible the dish is not aligned correctly for just satellite 99?? Problem is that I cannot complain to Directv because they will say I have no need for 99 right now. My local HD's happen to be on 103 which I am getting fine.

Thanks

As for the 99s vs b, thats a software glitch, it will be corrected later, but doesn't affect the viewing of the sat.

As for you getting NESN by moving, I guess it would be a chance you'd have to decide to take, 150 miles away seems like a long ways for a spot beam in most cases, your probably on the fringe of the beam, I guess you could try adjusting it to get 99b in stronger, but I would not expect D* to do anything for it IF your signals are all strong on the other sats.

Jimbo

Interestingly on my H20 is it 99b and on my HR21 it is 99s.

How about the alignment. Can one of the lnb's be out of whack?

Thanks

This morning I am getting mostly 90s on the same transponders. Last night it was cloudy and snowing, but this morning it is as well. The other odd thing is that the signals for this satellite don't come up as quickly as say 101. What is the reason for that? Any ideas on why at night (with same weather conditions) I would get a 46 and then the next morning (same weather conditions) 90's.

99s is the same as 99b. Some receivers have been updated to show the change, some haven't. When D11 goes up, it will be 99c. 101 signal strengths populate faster than for 99 or 103. I would guess it has something to do with mpeg2 vs mpeg4, or ku vs ka, but I am guessing. Anyone else know for sure?

As part of rolling software changes (lots of receivers to update)

The new labeling system is S for spotbeam, C fo ConUS.

A/B are being retired.

As part of rolling software changes (lots of receivers to update)

The new labeling system is S for spotbeam, C fo ConUS.

A/B are being retired.

To add on to Masterdeals explanation, I believe that both the Spaceways and D10/11 satellites have spotbeams, while D 10/11 are the only ones with Conus beams. I think that DirecTV wanted to separate the signal meters by the type of beam, rather than the physical satellite, so they have switched to the "s"/"c" designations. That way, when you look at the signal strength meter for Conus signals, you shouldn't see any 0s like you do with the 101 or the 119.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)