Is a 35 degree LNB OK for an 8 foot dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Davage

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
On the weekend I acquired a free 8 foot C-Band mesh satellite dish. There is a Chapparel feedhorn on the dish and an Echostar 35 degree LNB. Is 35 degrees good for an 8 foot dish, or should I be considering looking at the lower degree LNBs that I've seen on Ebay etc? I'm looking to get analog feeds as well as digital feeds, and possibly a 4DTV receiver at some point in the future. Will I notice a big difference by getting a lower degree LNB?

It should be OK. I would certainly give it a try. If you decide to get another lnb, you will want to get as low (degree) as you can afford, but mainly get the lowest stability rating you can afford. Good Luck on your set-up!

Al

Davage
I use a 25K LNB offset on my 6 footer. Works pretty well

The newer ones are LNBF's so you may want to invest in one later. LNB's have 3 wires and need to be polarity controlled. LNBF's are voltage controlled by the receiver

For me adding a LNB for 103 C-band 9I have a LNBF for 99W), the older LNB was easier because I could mount the LNB how I wanted, then stick a screwdriver down the throat and skew it how I wanted for optimum performance :)

check this for pictures
http://www.satelliteguys.us/890700-post34.html

well i will comment to lol
i have a lnb ( rigged much like yours except much older at 75k and two of them one 90 degrees from the other i suspect this was for polarity one vertical and one horazontal ) that i'm going to replace with a new lnbf (geosatproc1) its 17k but my coolsat can switch the polarity.

The other lnbf i have is 35k cal amp it has a wire for polarity that unless i get a pansat or use the analog receiver i can't switch polarity. so the downside to older lnb & lnbf's is that polarity switching.

I have 6 foot KTI dish park on NSS 806 with a 55 degree Norsat LNB it work very good , I thing some off the older LNBs work better than the new ones.

It sounds like 35 degrees may be OK. I have over 50 feet of TVRO ribbon cable, so I will be able to get an analog receiver to change the polarity. The ribbon cable also has 2 RG6 coax cables in it, so my plan now is to use a splitter that is specifically designed for sharing a C-Band LNB that only allows power to pass from one of the receivers to the LNB. I will use the old analog receiver to move satellites and change polarity, then I'll use my Fortec receiver to tune in the DVB signals. I paced over my property last night trying to figure out where to put the dish. I think I've found a spot, now I just need to dig the hole, plant the pole and get the dish tracking the arc :) Thanks for all of the input!

yes the main idea is to set everything up with as low cost as possible but making sure future expansion is there. if there is a ribbon cable involved then you will have everything in place. for now you can run it with an old receiver ( i also use the same method ) but with this setup you can in the future add a newer lnbf and or a v-box. this will make it all disqec compliant .....so you options will be open.

but it also retains the analog function.
enjoy

The 35 degree LNB seems to work pretty good on the 8 footer so far.. Yesterday I assembled the dish, and propped it up next to the fence and managed to find some signals from the birds at 131, 133, 135 West on an old analog receiver. The signals were pretty good for just having the dish propped up against a fence and manually moving it to find pictures.. The toughest part is that all of my tvs are too new, and they have that stupid "BLUE SCREEN" that comes up when there isn't a strong tv signal. I am going to try find my little 4" tv that actually allows the snow and white noise to come through to make finding the birds easier. I'm definately going to get the pole planted this week, and next weekend I'll have the 8 footer tracking the arc I'm sure :) Fun Fun Fun!

Davage
I know on some TV's you can turn that blue screen feature off (my old 32" Sharp TV allows that). Or if you have a VCR that doesn't, run it through that...use the A/V cables then you wont have the blue screen issue :)

I've got 3 General Electric TVs (two are 13" and one is 27") and I've looked through the menu but can't find an option to turn off the blue screen. I'm almost wishing that I had kept one of the old Black and White tvs that I gave away to the church yard sale years ago just for tuning in the dish. I have one of those cheap satellite finders, mayable I'll give it a shot to see if it works for C-Band. Right now I'm just tinkering for fun by "ghetto moving" the dish, and it isn't even on a stand. I'm going to plant a pole this week so that I can get it on the mount and make it easier to try track the arc.. I've found a spot to plant the dish that will keep it down below the fenceline for the most part, so the neighbours won't complain.

Who would have thought that a free dish would provide so much fun :) I've got 4 dishes, and I rarely watch TV. Go figure.. I like the technology more than what is actually on the screen.

finding the satellite with an analog box is the best

snow...move dish and picture comes in....move away and back to snow

repeat for each satellite...and if there is a scrambled signal those help too.....

by the way. Does the analog box have the VCII board in it? That can help tune the dish. Put it on a scrambled channel and the signal goes up the more locked onto it you are

Yes, I've got a VC2 board in the receiver. My remote just doesn't seem to be working though, so I can't get into the diagnostics screen. I've just been using the buttons on the front of the receiver so far. I've got a few universal remotes here, but I don't know if any of them will run a General Instrument 2400 or not..

yeah i think it works with the 2400, 2410, 2500,2510,2600& 2610 series only or it could be the anywhere remote and that requires a add on box

does it have a model # on back
i have the rcu-2410r
and
urc2000 ( Anywhere uhf remote) requires the small box and antenna these hooked up to the r1 & r2 connections on the back of the unit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)