Is a 625 about ready to die?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Helping my dad out here...yes he has a 625 (he is too cheap to upgrade to HD so he has 4 SD receivers). Has had it for a few years

Anywho he's called me a few times saying on the screen he has the "press select to continue" and it will take a minute or longer before he has a picture. One time I was there and I did the soft reboot (hold power button for 5 seconds) but usually I just tell him what to do (soft reboot). Signals I know are fine. Western Arc obviously

I told him when he is done watching TV to actually turn off the receiver (yeah I know it doesnt actually shut off) and he said "why would I do that"? :rolleyes:

Do you think his receiver is ready to bite the bullet?

That it takes a while to wake up isn't necessarily a sign that it is on the way out. That would come in the form of picture that drops out or breaks up inexplicably.

Letting it fall asleep is pretty similar to putting it directly in standby but it certainly wouldn't hurt to run a comparison to see if a standby DVR gets going quicker than one that fell asleep.

If nothing else is obviously failing, I kinda doubt that DISH would replace it.

Has he done a plug pull? If that would not help, then yes, it's time. Should not have to wait that long. Contact Dirt!!!!!

If the HDD is failing that would explain why it's slow to turn on from standby.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Press menu 6-1-3. System info. Go to details scroll all the way down. Should see 9 values. If any of these values are above a 5 it's a good sign the hard drive may be failing, or failed. Really high numbers indicate imminent death.

Most likely going down hill, make sure it is plugged into a good power source also.
I replaced one today that was doing the same thing but taking nearly 10minutes to come out of hibernation lol... replaced!

Press menu 6-1-3. System info. Go to details scroll all the way down. Should see 9 values. If any of these values are above a 5 it's a good sign the hard drive may be failing, or failed. Really high numbers indicate imminent death.

That's good to know. I did not know what those numbers meant. I was just looking at that screen yesterday. All the numbers were zeros except there was a 1 and a 2. So if I notice the numbers creeping up then I know that the HDD is on its way out?

That's good to know. I did not know what those numbers meant. I was just looking at that screen yesterday. All the numbers were zeros except there was a 1 and a 2. So if I notice the numbers creeping up then I know that the HDD is on its way out?

Yes, it's an indicator that I look for as a technician. The numbers u describe are perfect. Just guessing those values were in the 7 and 8 spot. This is a normally functioning harddrive. Generally if I see higher numbers in the lower values I'm replacing the reciever.

If the HDD is failing that would explain why it's slow to turn on from standby.
Wouldn't the DVR be exhibiting other prominent symptoms if the hard drive were going away?

I'm thinking maybe it is having trouble finding satellites or the smart card (if present) is having issues.

well I talked to him and after about 10 minutes of explaining what button to push ;) he got in there and all he said was the screen said "LNB drift" but it worked fine this morning (he said it popped right in when he hit select...this was after powering it off last night). When he hit details all it said was "LNB Drift detected".

I know its a DP Twin (I installed it) which goes into a DPP44 switch (again self installed). So I guess I'll have to scrounge up a DP Twin and next time I'm down in the cities swap it out. He doesn't have the PP plan so I know that part would cost him. The LNB is probably 10 years old and here in Minnesota the wild temp swings we get it probably is just starting to give up the ghost

If he has two or less receivers, should just get a DPP Twin and take out the DPP44 to simplify things. Meanwhile try turning off all receivers and unplug the power inserter on the DPP44 for fifteen minutes. This will reset the DPP44 and fix issues. I had phantom drift once or twice on my Hoppers until I reset the DPP44.

If he has two or less receivers, should just get a DPP Twin and take out the DPP44 to simplify things.
he has 4. per the original post
he is too cheap to upgrade to HD so he has 4 SD receivers
a 625, 322 and 2 301s/311s

Meanwhile try turning off all receivers and unplug the power inserter on the DPP44 for fifteen minutes. This will reset the DPP44 and fix issues. I had phantom drift once or twice on my Hoppers until I reset the DPP44.
i'll have him try that tomorrow and see

Yes, it's an indicator that I look for as a technician. The numbers u describe are perfect. Just guessing those values were in the 7 and 8 spot. This is a normally functioning harddrive. Generally if I see higher numbers in the lower values I'm replacing the reciever.

Sorry for the additional hijack.

Yes, 7 and 8 had numbers of -2 and 1, respectively. I also had a 1 in position 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)