Is a DVD Recorder compatible with the 622 receiver?

talljoel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I just got a DVD Player / Recorder. Is it possible to hook it up to my 622 receiver so I can make DVD recordings of life TV?

Can I make a DVD copy "My Recordings " that are on the 622's hard drive?

I have a feeling the answer to the first question is no. And if the answer to the second question is yes, it will not be easy to do.

I appreciate your help.

You can make SD copies using any of the standard connections.

I am just waiting for costs to come down on HD-DVD recording from the dish :)

You can hook up a DVD recorder & record anything coming off the 722 - either live TV or DVR recordings. Just hook up S-video & audio outputs from 722/622 to the DVR & record whatever is being output by the 722.

I just got a DVD Player / Recorder. Is it possible to hook it up to my 622 receiver so I can make DVD recordings of life TV?

Can I make a DVD copy "My Recordings " that are on the 622's hard drive?

I have a feeling the answer to the first question is no. And if the answer to the second question is yes, it will not be easy to do.

I appreciate your help.

Yes, you can record from your 622 via composite (TV1/2) or s-video(TV1) outputs. You can even record from component if you set your TV1 output to 480i (Why?). Be warned that macrovision? content protection is applied to PPV recordings and certain other programs like certain movies on Cinemax. Depending on your DVD-R, this may or may not be an issue.

BTW, it is EASY to do with a set-top DVD recorder. It's not quick. However, it is easy.

I record programs to DVD quite a bit, I have the recorder attached to the TV2 composite output. In dual mode, I can start a program playing from DVR on TV2 then watch a TV1 program while its recording.

The SVideo output on TV1 is technically a bit better than composite but I doubt you'd ever see the difference in a recording and I like the flexibility of my hookup. The recordings I make of a good HD source in SP mode on the DVD recorder look very good.

FYI: A DVD recorder with ATSC tuner will record at 16x9 and 480i. With progressive or upconversion, it looks pretty good. If it doesn't have a tuner and your HDTV has composite out, it will still record HD shows at 16x9 and 480i with TV output connected to recorder input. Be aware, that if something is connected to TV via HDMI, it may turn off composite out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)