Is a Quad LNBF standard or extra??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Griffin522

Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
I have a install coming up and I have been unable to contact the installer so I am hoping he shows when scheduled.
My question is posed because I have my house wired with 5 feeds coming from the dish location to my split. From there I have 2 lines to 4 locations and have added a third line from the location for the 522. This line feeds TV2 to wherever I wish.
Does the 522 come with the Quad LNBF or just the dual? If the dual is standard I will find a Quad on ebay.

If everything is wired and outside, you might get a quad.

If you have 3 spots to look at (Superdish or wing dish), you'll get a TWIN and a DP34 switch.

When I had 3 receivers, I got a quad.

Normally the Twin is standard

why do u want quad? for future upgrade? u don't need quad, what u need it dp 34 switch. (99$)if u want total 5 satellite outlets u need 2 dp 34 switch.

Ahh dulzen.

IF he's agetting a Dish 500, a Quad is just fine. Why would a DP34 be better?

IF he's getting a SuperDish or 2-dish setup, he'll be getting a DP34.

EXCEPTION: IF he's going for 5-6 tuners, a Quad with a DP34 makes sense. If it's going to be 5 ONLY, a Twin, DP34, and DP21 will do the job nicely.

The only reason for a pair of DP34's is SEVEN+ tuners, or 5+ with 3 birds.

Dulzen

Once again you are giving advice on what equipment a person needs without having enough information on the specific situation. In a number of the possible situations (mostly involving a SuperDISH install or the need for using one of the wing sats) he would need to use a DP34 switch instead of a QUAD. However, in many situations there would be no advantage to using a DP34 switch over a QUAD. In 5 or 6 tuner setups it may be easier and cheaper to use a QUAD (in combination with a DP34) than a TWIN + 2 DP34 combo.

Griffin

Since you are getting a 522 receiver I will assume that you are being installed under the DHA plan. That being the case you can rest assured that your install will include the LNB/Switch combination necessary for your install. Whether that includes a Quad LNB will depend on the type of install you need.

Simon

You know what they say about great minds... ;)

I hadn't heard of the DP Twin/34/21 setup before. Is this one of the occasions the DishPro Splitters (NOT separators :D )are used. 2 splitters on the Twin outputs to the Sat 1 and 2 ports of the respective switches?

K R Kimmel said:
Simon

You know what they say about great minds... ;)

I hadn't heard of the DP Twin/34/21 setup before. Is this one of the occasions the DishPro Splitters (NOT separators :D )are used. 2 splitters on the Twin outputs to the Sat 1 and 2 ports of the respective switches?
Well, that SHOULD work (power passing side goes to the DP34), but you don't need them. ;)

Just plug the DP21 into the cascade outputs of the DP34. :D

Griffin522 said:
I have a install coming up and I have been unable to contact the installer so I am hoping he shows when scheduled.
My question is posed because I have my house wired with 5 feeds coming from the dish location to my split. From there I have 2 lines to 4 locations and have added a third line from the location for the 522. This line feeds TV2 to wherever I wish.
Does the 522 come with the Quad LNBF or just the dual? If the dual is standard I will find a Quad on ebay.

Something about this bothers me. the 2 lines to 4 locations... do you have a splitter in there? if so itll have to go as you cant split satellite feeds... if not im just being paranoid.

Thanks guys. So many replies so soon. Very refreshing for a forum. Kudos.

Let me clarify:

1 522 in family room. 3 feeds from split allows 2 tuner activation and one backfeed for TV2. TV2 is spliced in to second room or to splitter for 2 or more rooms.

1 322 in guest room. Why I provide a dish feed for my in-laws is beyond me.

This places me in the 3 or more receiver arena. With 5 lines coming from dish (one for future UHF antenna abilities) I can feed directly from the dish and not employ a switch but only if I have a quad on the stick. Later I can add a switch to expand to 5 or more.

One additional question: What resides on the other birds other than 110 and 119? I am experienced with Directv so I know a sat c kit is required for additional HD content.

I have posted this elsewhere but I will try here....

I have been unable to contact the company I signed a DHA with over 3 weeks ago. I had a original install planned for Aug. 21 but called and left a message to reschedule due to conflicts with schedule. I never heard back but they did not arrive so I assumed they got the message. I have tried for several days now to contact them and all I can do is leave a message. This is obviously someone I don't want to deal with. They are named as Dish Network/SouthStar on the DHA. SouthStar is not listed as a local company in the pages or with Dish Network.

My real question is this: Since they have not contacted me and have not charged me any fees, am I obligated to them thru the DHA or can I contact someone else in the Seattle area to start a new DHA and install? If I do hear from them after a second company does the install am I contractually obligated to the first company?

Please help. I am nearing the end of my rope.

Griffen - you say "3 feeds from split". That's a very confusing phrase. The word "split" always raises red flags. I think you mean "3 feeds from distribution panel".

You've basically got 2 ways to go, as discussed - Quad or switch. With the possibility of more than 2 birds, maybe the way to go is a DP Twin with a DP34 switch inside. That leave you 3 feeds for UHF, and 2 more birds. Cost you a little more up front, but it sounds like you might be using it some time down the road.

Note that having 3 feeds to the main room is a good thing - if you go HD, you can add an 811. You can feed the 522 & 811 outputs back to the distribution panel using diplexers. ;)

As for DHA contract - if you haven't signed anything nor given out a credit card, you're a free bird.

Sorry, I have always referred to the distribution panel/point as the split point. Sorry for the confusion.
I have 5 feeds from the dish to the dist. panel. Each room has 2 coax feeds. The family room has 3, 2 for 522 tuners and 1 to feed TV2 back to the distribution panel.

Your RG6 cable needs to rated for 3000mhz not 2150. the reason i said for dp 34 switch is that, once that switch in place, he doesn't have to change any lnbs or anything, he'll just have to add it as it goes. If your house has smart box system. and prewire and running, dish will give you 34switch for free. (u might have pull their hand little bit) also, if you get 2nd dish install, u can watch sumo like me. (it's starting tomorrow) Why do u guys wanna go with quad all the time? with 34, u just add one next to when you need it. poor installer has to run 4 lines ( it would look ugly on your $1mil home)

When we suggest using a quad it is because it will do the job required.

If all the programming you want is at 110/119 and you have no more than 4 tuners it will do the job. And it has the following advantages over a Twin/DP34 combo.

1. Price - A DP Quad costs less than a DP Twin + DP34

2. Reliability - When you increase the number of parts you increase the number of possible points of failure

3. Expandability - The DP Quad is ultimately more expandable than the DP Twin/DP34. With a DP Twin you can have up to 12 tuners by daisy-chaining 3 DP34s or up to 12 dual tuner receivers (24 tuners) by replacing the DP34s with DPP44s. With a DP Quad you double that capacity to 24 dual tuner receivers (48 tuners) using 6 DPP44s (or 24 tuners using 6 DP34s)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)