Is a separator mandatory for 1000.4?

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
Before getting the 1000.4 installed today, I was on the WA via a DP34 and ran two separate coax cables to my 722K thus avoiding the signal attenuation of a separator. The DNS tech said I cannot use two separate 1000.4 LNB outputs into the 722K. Is this true?

Signal loss would be at least 3dB (50%). That is fundamental physics.

It's not a splitter, its a band separator. The entire band coming into the separator is 950-2150mhz. Coming out, it is 950-1450mhz on one side and 1650-2150mhz on the other side. Since no signal division occurs, signal loss is minimal.

It's not a splitter, its a band separator. The entire band coming into the separator is 950-2150mhz. Coming out, it is 950-1450mhz on one side and 1650-2150mhz on the other side. Since no signal division occurs, signal loss is minimal.

You're right. Z mismatch and relections are minimal. I previously did not have the DP Plus that I have now and forgot about its added functionality over plain DP. Since the coaxes are already run for the old set-up, I am going to remove the separator.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Could separators be ganged? IOW, one separator output run to another separator? That way, a single tuner box could be fed, with the other leg running to a separator connected to a dual tuner box. Save a coax run to the 1000.4. Actually, what I'm thinking is an efficient use of the third output on the dish. Or would I need to use a switch (which could be located inside by the first box). I've already got a couple of extra separators.

no

Hmmm. Could separators be ganged? IOW, one separator output run to another separator? That way, a single tuner box could be fed, with the other leg running to a separator connected to a dual tuner box. Save a coax run to the 1000.4. Actually, what I'm thinking is an efficient use of the third output on the dish. Or would I need to use a switch (which could be located inside by the first box). I've already got a couple of extra separators.

Nope it doesn't work that way. Here again it's a band separator not a splitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)