Is a standalone HD-DVR (HR24??) still available through Directv?

diitto

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
We have three tv's and we have

1- HR44 Genie
2- C31-700 Genie Mini
3- older standalone HR22

I fear the HR22 is soon to die. And I'm opposed to having another Mini because that means if the HR44 dies we lose ALL TV. We recently lost an HR34 that led to the HR44 but while we waited for the replacement, at least we had TV on the HR22.

So do they still offer a standalone, HD-DVR through Directv?? And if I bought one (I know, rented) through say Solid Signal, would I be able to get Directv to activate that to replace our HR22???

thanks...

I would say Yes ...
However, you may have to ask for it by name, or they will probably send you a client.

Be firm, tell them you like the set up you have now and are not interested in the HS17 Genie 2 server.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
..but there is apparently a shortage of HR24s so they might pressure you into getting a client

they should send an hr24 replacement
a client would be considered an upgrade by them, and lead to a contract
(its actually a downgrade due to loss of tuners imho)
call and chat

the solid signal idea may or may not work
there is an issue with activating third party hardware at times
it has to due with the new att system

Reactions: harshness
Last time I needed an HR24 I got a referb one off eBay for $89 with free shipping.

I would go there before buying from not so solid signal
Horrible advice Claude. You know that AT&T isn't letting customers get equipment from third party sources anymore.

they should send an hr24 replacement
a client would be considered an upgrade by them, and lead to a contract
(its actually a downgrade due to loss of tuners imho)
call and chat

the solid signal idea may or may not work
there is an issue with activating third party hardware at times
it has to due with the new att system

I got one last year from Solid Signal, they activated it just fine. No problems, at the time and I reckon they still are, Solid Signal was an authorized dealer, so I wouldn’t see any problem in activating one from there. Now from eBay, who knows.

I got one last year from Solid Signal, they activated it just fine. No problems, at the time and I reckon they still are, Solid Signal was an authorized dealer, so I wouldn’t see any problem in activating one from there. Now from eBay, who knows.

Yeah “They activated it”

You know what they did to activate it?

They charged you $199 for the receiver, then created an upgrade on the Directv dealer website and likely put you under a 2 year agreement that included a FREE DVR.

They just never sent the signed agreement to Directv, but there are still codes on your account requiring the 2 year agreement.

I’m an Authorized dealer also, just like Solid Signal. They get no special treatment from Directv because they are solid signal.

The only reason why they activate it for you is because they need to create an upgrade work order to activate it.

Upgrades pay dealers $100, and the customer usually qualifies for a free receiver.

Horrible advice Claude. You know that AT&T isn't letting customers get equipment from third party sources anymore.

Not necessarily. They are not allowing equipment to be activated on AT&T Directv accounts.

Solid Signal is 3rd party! Just like me and all the Directv dealers that are still left.

No real difference from buying a factory sealed One on eBay.

All solid signal is doing is creating an upgrade work order, getting free leased equipment on your account under a customer upgrade and charging you full MSRP for it.

They only activate it for you as a courtesy, to save you an hour long phone call with Directv and so you don’t realize it’s leased, and on another 2 year agreement.

Not necessarily. They are not allowing equipment to be activated on AT&T Directv accounts.

Solid Signal is 3rd party! Just like me and all the Directv dealers that are still left.

All solid signal is doing is creating an upgrade work order, getting free leased equipment on your account under a customer upgrade and charging you full MSRP for it.

They only activate it for you as a courtesy, to save you an hour long phone call with Directv and so you don’t realize it’s leased, and on another 2 year agreement.
Doesn't everyone know by now that they are (99% anyways) all LEASED ....

I should have been more specific. You said get one from eBay. AT&T won't authorize equipment you get from eBay. Correct?

We have
2 HR24's
3 R22's

One of the R22's eternal memories went last month. DirecTV tried to get me to upgrade to a genie. I said I didn't want to trade in my equipment. We have the protection plan

They sent me a R22. I was surprised, I didn't know they had any left.

I should have been more specific. You said get one from eBay. AT&T won't authorize equipment you get from eBay. Correct?

They will on commercial accounts and accounts that are not converted to AT&T accounts.

But my point was don’t buy from Solid Signal thinking they have some special deal with Directv to activate equipment....THEY DON’T

All they are doing is selling you a leased box at MSRP, that you likely qualified to get FREE if you called 800-Directv.

There is no reason to use solid signal unless you live in Canada, Mexico or the Virgin Islands, account stacking and or are afraid Directv will find out if they come to your house, or have “moved”

Granted you might just not want to take time off work to wait for a Directv tech, which I don’t like either, but a FREE receiver is better than spending $200 for a leased one.

I'm sure virtually all accounts have been converted to AT&T accounts by now. My point is getting an HR24 from eBay is a waste of money since AT&T won't authorize it's use.

We have
2 HR24's
3 R22's

One of the R22's eternal memories went last month. DirecTV tried to get me to upgrade to a genie. I said I didn't want to trade in my equipment. We have the protection plan

They sent me a R22. I was surprised, I didn't know they had any left.
Probably because it was an R22 and not an HR22, but I'm very surprised they have any left.

I'm sure virtually all accounts have been converted to AT&T accounts by now. My point is getting an HR24 from eBay is a waste of money since AT&T won't authorize it's use.

Ask for the card, rid and serial before hand and try to activate it beside buying.

FYI my account and neighbors account are still Directv.

We do bill pay at the office and it’s 50/50 with people coming in now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)