Is a tap interchangeable with a diplexor?

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I am wondering if my Holland diplexor will work as a tap? Since they both split the different frequencies, and block DC from the <900 MHz they should work the same. I know the tap is designed for the higher freq of the 3rd sat feed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it. On a tap both the Node and Hopper ports would be full frequency (0-3000) and the Client port would be moca only (0-900).

A DPD2 is one full frequency port (0-2150), one sat port (900 - 2150) and one VHF/UHF port (0-900).

In theory it might work but as you said it may not pass the higher frequency required for the third tuner. Never know 'till you try ;) . Won't hurt anything.

If the specs are right it won't pass moca between the Hopper and the node. Now that might not be necessary if the node client port is not being used. It would act more like an isolator.

The most likely working connections would be "IN/OUT" = Hopper, "SAT" = Node, "VHF/UHF" = Joey.

Oh yeah... Then there's the issue with the Joey being able to communicate with the Hopper on said diplexer. I still say try it and report back ;) .

I will try as soon as I get my hopper delivered (hopefully this week). Since I have only a hopper, I won't be able to check the moca / Joey side, but I can check that the sat signals pass thru the diplexor. As JM42 notes, the connections will be labeled differently.

Looking at the Holland website, specs for their Dish PP approved model are 5-2150 MHz. I would doubt Holland intentionally clips the top end, but attenuation my me higher above that. They make a dish approved diplexor that is not approved for DPP equip and it specs 5-2050 MHz. Kinda like barrel connectors that are not rated to 3 ghz.

Looking at the Holland website, specs for their Dish PP approved model are 5-2150 MHz. I would doubt Holland intentionally clips the top end, but attenuation my me higher above that. They make a dish approved diplexor that is not approved for DPP equip and it specs 5-2050 MHz. Kinda like barrel connectors that are not rated to 3 ghz.

Looking a little closer it would appear from the Dish diagrams that all frequencies pass along the node and the hopper line, with only <850 allowed on the joey side. This is different than a diplexor that splits the signal out. So it will not work if the node actually needs MOCA signal.
Its never about the money, just the challenge of using what I have.

I know 5 hat if you hook the high pass side of a diplexer up to a hopper in line from the wall plate it will work. I got into a debate and the question came up. So far the hopper has worked without incident for well over 3 weeks. I have not hooked up a Joey to see what effect moca has on the diplexer. But I can tell you that half of the theory is valid.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hopper wit pick up signal just fine but the joeys wont "see" it. Been to a couple of tc where the last tech out didnt verify the WHOLE system was working and then the customer realized the joeys wasnt working. Removed diplexer and everything worked perfectly.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)