Is Anyone Using A HH Motor Mount Type With The $69.99 Dish Special

Status
Please reply by conversation.

avenger

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Slidell, Louisiana
Would like to know if any Satelliteguys member is using this type of mount with their $69.99 dish special without any problems.

I am interested on buying this type of motor, and want to know if it is easy to modify the dish bracket, or is it not worth the trouble.

If this is possible, what model of motor would be the best and strong one to use.

Thank You.

Can't remember who it was, or how to search for it, but if you are talking about a diseqc-type H-H motor (like we use on our offset dishes) there definitely is a thread on this forum where someone did exactly what you are wondering about.

I do remember they mounted it on a back porch where it was somewhat protected from the wind, and I seem to remember they used part of a bicycle frame to make the mount? Not sure what model they used but DG380s and STAB 120s are the stoutest I know of.

Think it worked ok as long as you didn't get too far from true south, but had trouble bringing the dish back from the extremes of west and east.

If you mean something like an AJAK H-H motor it is definitely possible and will work well, you just have to fabricate something to breed the dish to the mount

If I was going to go to the trouble to mate a dish to an H-H (AJAK) motor I would try to find a bigger reflector to make the effort more worthwhile.

i remember that thread too.....

i think they used an SG9120 motor and somehow inverted the motor so the shaft was pointing up

Thanks phlatwound,

I was looking at the dish last night and though about what it would take to convert the present setup to the HH mount or offset dish style mount.

Will search the forum a bit more and see if I can find the information that you reffer to. You are right about getting a bigger reflector to make the effort more worth while.

I must be a slow typer, because Mikey11 managed to get a response while I was answering phlatwound, ha,ha.

Thanks both of you.

Last edited:
Fat Air,... as you can see that I have not given up on the idea of modifying the "Special dish" to use a HH type of motor. The main reason for trying to do this, is because I am still having difficulties in repeteability of acquiring the satellites while using the Gbox in the standalone mode with the Fortec Lifetime Ultra. It seems that the Fortec is not too fond of working with the Diseqc mode either.

I will be glad when the microHD comes on sale.

mr3p showed 7 pictures of his setup on the thread that I started last year. My question is, is he still using the dish in that mode without much problems.

If so I will definitely take a stab at it while waiting for the microHD to become available.

Thanks again.

Fat Air,... as you can see that I have not given up on the idea of modifying the "Special dish" to use a HH type of motor. The main reason for trying to do this, is because I am still having difficulties in repeteability of acquiring the satellites while using the Gbox in the standalone mode with the Fortec Lifetime Ultra. It seems that the Fortec is not too fond of working with the Diseqc mode either.

I would check for another issue as the Lifetime Ultra is a DiSEqC 1.2 / USALS work horse that I have never found to fail. We sold at least 50,000 Lifetime Ultra's and can't remember a single DiSEqC / USALS related issue.

Power supply capacitors? Yes!
DiSEqC control? No! :D

having difficulties in repeteability of acquiring the satellites while using the Gbox in the standalone mode
Mine started doing that early last fall. Would hit them if approached from one direction, but not the other. Fixed it with a brick hung off the east lip of the dish. It took up the "slop" of the actuator. I see Dee did the same with a cement block hung on the dish ring. I would think, if there's also play in the polar axis, that would have to be addressed in another manner.
Only problem I have now is the occasional "missing pulse". Hopefully, it won't be too long before it warms enough I get the urge and time to replace the sensor sw.

I would blame the repeatability problems on the mount for the dish, and not on the receiver or motor. This mount and dish pair was designed for a specific customer to be CHEAP. There is a ton of slop in all of the mount. If you want to put bushings in and customize the mount for stability, it is always an option. Out of the box this setup is adequate at best. It was a good way to introduce some of us to C-band and it kept the dishes away from the recyclers.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

mr3p showed 7 pictures of his setup on the thread that I started last year. My question is, is he still using the dish in that mode without much problems.

Yes, its still setup and working. As I mentioned in a thread some time ago, I ultimately would like to modify the bracket to be able to use an 9120 motor as it has less play but I've been too busy/lazy to do it once it worked.

Yes, its still setup and working. As I mentioned in a thread some time ago, I ultimately would like to modify the bracket to be able to use an 9120 motor as it has less play but I've been too busy/lazy to do it once it worked.

mr3p, Thank You.

So you have not experience too much wind in your part of California to be of any problem....Well as you might already know, I live down Dixieland way where hurricans are commons, so as I mentioned before I have not given up on the idea of the modification of the dish. You mentioned the 9120 motor, so the bracket that you are presently using would not work well with what you have now?.

I will take a second look at your pictures from the previous original thread to see what I have that I might be able to work with.

We have had some crazy weather this past couple of weeks, and I do believe that, that would have been a good time to test and see if the dish and a new bracket would have held up to the test. My original setup did not suffered or had any problems.

The worst part of this dish is the pivot point, all the holes are oversize and are sloppy.
even the long bolt that goes though is bad, the treads are larger than the body.
so the hole has to be large enough for the theaded part to go through then the smaller body of the bolt
is about .030 smaller and makes it worse.
i have been looking at it as the dish moves with the wind.
some 1 here used a 1/2 theaded rod to make it tighter, a good quick fix but not good for long term as you dont want to
be turning on theades.
i have been looking at using some bushings and a new bolt or solid rod.

so true as i have the same dish with the same slop.Drove me nuts when trying to get the gbox to land on the same spot.Im throwing up a sami 10 ft now.That should fix it:) lol

mr3p, Thank You.

So you have not experience too much wind in your part of California to be of any problem....Well as you might already know, I live down Dixieland way where hurricans are commons, so as I mentioned before I have not given up on the idea of the modification of the dish. You mentioned the 9120 motor, so the bracket that you are presently using would not work well with what you have now?.

I will take a second look at your pictures from the previous original thread to see what I have that I might be able to work with.

We have had some crazy weather this past couple of weeks, and I do believe that, that would have been a good time to test and see if the dish and a new bracket would have held up to the test. My original setup did not suffered or had any problems.

The bracket I have will work fine with the 9120, in fact one of the pictures shows it attached to the 9120. What I need to do is make the vertical bar slight "thicker" or put another way, push the dish away from the pivot point by about an inch to allow me to get the appropriate elevation. As you can tell from my pictures, my dish is in a very sheltered location. That being said, we do get some strong winds and I'm sitting at a desk looking at the dish wobble this very minute. For my current needs, using an HH motor works fine and was a fun project. Everyone said it couldn't be done, the motor would die etc. Given your valid geographical concerns and probable different objectives, I'm not sure an HH motor really fits your needs. Any reason you don't want to use an actuator?

I do have an actuator, my problem is with repeteability of receiving the satellites. I have not noticed any slop movements on the dish, but maybe that could be one of the things that is causing it not to repete of getting the satellites.

Maybe I should start looking for another sturdier dish.

Brian mentioned that my Fortec is a good unit for using USALS and Diseqc functions. So the dish unit might be the culprit.

I think slop is common issue for the low cost dish as I've read several posts discussing it. I'm actually evaluating whether I can accomodate an 8ft dish but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I think that the solution to the slop on these mounts is to install nylon or bronze bushings at the pivot point and replace the provided bolt with a solid shaft that is threaded at each end. I do not like the threaded rod idea as the threads will cut into the bushings or the steel for the mount over time.

I have my 10 foot waiting to be assembled, but I need to obtain the requisite spousal permit first. I wish KBS would go ITC on C-band..........THAT would generate the permit in a hurry. The neighbors already know about my addiction and welcome any good recordings I can share with them. The quality on some of the stuff is way better than the usual providers supply. I shared the Super Bowl halftime show recording in good 1080 and they just about wet their pants.

I pulled the 6' special down, not special enough. I didn't experience the slop issue, I never used that mount :) . I built one from a bicycle frame headset and fork. I could see right away this dish was cheap!! The mount is a joke.

Status
Please reply by conversation.