Is C-BAND still Viable alternative

Status
Please reply by conversation.
And at the same time the owners of Cband companys sat back and let it happen. Who's fault is it really? Some even jumped ship and sold out. :eek:

Does it make sense to help kill off the remaining few? support them.

I don't know how long you been with the big dish ? I been with it for 21+ years. Im not going anywhere. If your pro little dish your pro little dish. I on the other hand won't give Charlie or Dave a red cent. IMO you should post the pro dish network stuff in there forums. This forum is c band not dish network. Like I said if you take the buck away from the c band providers you make it impossible for any chances for a new receiver or any more programming HD or SD.

Thanks for all your insights.
As far as Dish HD that is not an option as I used to be a customer 4 years ago and they will not give me any incentive to come back and the cost of equipment is outlandish at this point in time.
I am kind of in the same Boat with DTV .
What HD channels are available FTA and would theses be accessible VIA KU or C-band digital.
Thanks again

I don't have HD but from what I know there is some good stuff up there FTA. You need a couple receivers to see it all or a card for your computer. Maybe one of the guys with HD FTA can add to this.

And my hat's off to you for not wanting to support Dish network :hatsoff:. Charlie has done nothing for anyone but himself ever. Just look up the history of Charlie Ergan.

I fully intend to keep my BUDs operational until their last day. Even from that point, it will be used to scan the skies. Perhaps if they perceive big dishes as few and far between, they will slow down encrypting the feeds.

I think the channel dwindling for C band has reversed. Many channels that went away from analog several years ago are back in digital now. I like to think because of viewers like us keeping the demand alive.

We can only hope the providers like NPS or companies like Skyvision, can put together something for HD to insure the future.

I'm just putting my C-band back into service after years of dn. I hooked up a donated Uniden and was using a laptop's power adapter to move the dish. My kids came into the basement, looked at the TV (an ancient 20" phillips) and exclaimed that it was the best picture they had ever seen on that TV.
Keep in mind too that my BUD has sat unused for years.

At least for me, the decision is made to switch back to my BUD exclusively, although I really do understand you concern, and a little I have that concern too. Moving to 4dtv and NPS/skyvision etc we are basing all we do on discontinued hardware. I'm fine with FTA, but the kids and SWMBO have certain channels they want. We can only hope that we can keep enough demand to keep the service available.

Why don't companies like NPS offer pay programming services for ku-band dishes as well as BUDs. It would seem to me that many people would like to obtain ala carte channels and/or pay less for basic packages than they do now for DISH or cable and not have to hassle with a big dish.

A lot of FTA channels on C-Band. A lot of Spanish (Mexican) FTA channels as well.

You will need a GBox (V3000) to control the actuator with your DVB receiver.

If you can put a C-band dish, you should go for it.

Why don't companies like NPS offer pay programming services for ku-band dishes as well as BUDs. It would seem to me that many people would like to obtain ala carte channels and/or pay less for basic packages than they do now for DISH or cable and not have to hassle with a big dish.

ku-band service already exists, Dish, DTV, Bell, Star choice and Globcast.

Actually NPS does business with Dish Network under the name All American Direct selling their services and locals.

Until last Spring many 4DTV services were Ku on satellite X4 at 99°W. I used to have a separate 90cm. dish for those.

Yes, i'm basing it strictly on HD and also considering NPS's price of HDTheater. What do they charge for that one channel? 5 or 6 dollars a month?:eek:

Since the question asked didn't concern itself with HD I did not consider that relevant and I don't think comparing a small HD package from DN to a large digital package on C-band is a fair comparison. Perhaps a new thread about DN HD vs other HD services might be more appropriate, in which case I suspect FTA HD might give DN a run for it's money (free).

Since the question asked didn't concern itself with HD I did not consider that relevant and I don't think comparing a small HD package from DN to a large digital package on C-band is a fair comparison. Perhaps a new thread about DN HD vs other HD services might be more appropriate, in which case I suspect FTA HD might give DN a run for it's money (free).

Well,
I myself and most likely alot of others who like to watch almost everything in HD do not place to much "value" on SD channels anymore. Sorry but thats just how it is nowdays.

I don't have HD but from what I know there is some good stuff up there FTA. You need a couple receivers to see it all or a card for your computer. Maybe one of the guys with HD FTA can add to this.

And my hat's off to you for not wanting to support Dish network :hatsoff:. Charlie has done nothing for anyone but himself ever. Just look up the history of Charlie Ergan.

Well said and I agree, my 10 footer gives a LOT better picture than my KU dishes. Charlie is in no danger of ever getting any $$ from me.

Well,
I myself and most likely alot of others who like to watch almost everything in HD do not place to much "value" on SD channels anymore. Sorry but thats just how it is nowdays.

I think Dish Networks HD sales pitch should be corrected to read as HD Lite. It's cannot compare to a true FTA master in HD using full bandwidth.

Well,

eh maybe on a message board but not in the real world ;)

Oh and the HD sports I see Charlie would droooooool over. Oh wait he probably has a FTA box so he can see what TRUE HD is instead of compressed HD Lite :D

I had Dish and got rid of it due to the compression. Picture looked like crap.

Come on guys. I'm not a bad person as i do have a 10 ft. BUD, A neusatHD FTA receiver and a 4DTV sub to HBO/MAX and STARZ. And yes i've seen high bit rate HD. But unfortunately i also have to turn to DISHNET for the rest. :D

But you will buy programming from his biggest retailer, " All American Direct" (ala NPS)?:p

I have most of my programming with SRL. NPS only gets cash for 2 ala carts from me. Did you know NPS is using Charlies Dishnet money to support the G3 reuplinks for 4DTV. Charlies east and west coast distant network feeds that NPS supplies are supporting a fair share of cost for those 2 transponders. One transpnder has Charlies west coast (San Fransisco) feeds in Powervu and our Dc 2 reups and the other transponder has the east coast (Atlanta) feeds in Dc 2 and our Dc 2 reups. This was stated in NPS's chat a few months back by Mike Montford. So who's using who?? Good for Mike :)

I think YSP Superstar sells more Dishnet than NPS.

Last edited:
I have most of my programming with SRL. NPS only gets cash for 2 ala carts from me. Did you know NPS is using Charlies Dishnet money to support the G3 reuplinks for 4DTV. Charlies east and west coast distant network feeds that NPS supplies are supporting a fair share of cost for those 2 transponders. One transpnder has Charlies west coast (San Fransisco) feeds in Powervu and our Dc 2 reups and the other transponder has the east coast (Atlanta) feeds in Dc 2 and our Dc 2 reups. This was stated in NPS's chat a few months back by Mike Montford. So who's using who?? Good for Mike :)

I think YSP Superstar sells more Dishnet than NPS.

Interesting, So what is the uplink fee that NPS is charging actually going for? And where's the chat (date) where he said this. I don't recall . But i do remember him getting everyone excited over IPTV.:p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)