Is cord cutting finally catching on?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
70% of the shows we watch are OTA and we have Tivos so we would easily cut-the-cord...if it weren't for Sports - they have us by the short-hairs.

Sports lovers will always be the slaves of pay TV... There are a lot of sports on OTA TV, but that is not enough for a lot of people.

I grew up on wgal & wpmt with no other other alternatives.

Cutting the cord here would be easy with ota & streaming.

However I'm happy with the price on dish america. I do like the few channels it offers even though it is still overpriced for what it is.

Sports isn't a priority here & do see that being a major road block for those that do like live sports & wanting to cut the cord.

Agreed that sports addicts are stuck - for now, depending on the season.

You can get MLB.TV now for the season and have access on your phone as well as your ROKU. Most leagues other than the NFL have similar deals. Of course, the price is up there with cable, but you do get mobile access and out of market games.

Me, I could care less about sports, so it is a much easier decision. You all are stuck in network reruns, but the new season of Arrested Development is up and running for me, and at my scheduling convenience.

no. People jump from provider to provider
People will downgrade but there are tons of people who just "grit it and bear it"

My grandma is one of them. She has comcast (only option) and she could easily be in the Digital Economy package (think standard cable minus sports and Viacom channels) because the few channels outside of the locals she watches are in that package. Its 34.95
But she NEEDS (her words) Fox Sports North....so now she has to be in Digital Starter...the cost? 68.99 (before any extra fees)

so she is paying double for one channel

Ice is right only 80,000 cut

look at the chart
View attachment 88114

1st q
DTV,Dish & phone co added 485,000
Cable lost 263,735
221,265 added to the base

for year
DTV,Dish & phone co added 1,479,000
Cable lost 1,559,459
only 80,459 lost to the base

mostly moving to other services

My wife and I have considered it. The only thing that sucks though for us is we are too far from both DMAs we live near to get channels OTA.

Agreed that sports addicts are stuck - for now, depending on the season.

You can get MLB.TV now for the season and have access on your phone as well as your ROKU. Most leagues other than the NFL have similar deals. Of course, the price is up there with cable, but you do get mobile access and out of market games.

Me, I could care less about sports, so it is a much easier decision. You all are stuck in network reruns, but the new season of Arrested Development is up and running for me, and at my scheduling convenience.

The problem with MLB.tv is your home team is blacked out. There are ways around that but it costs more money. The mlb.tv subscription is reasonable, if you really are jonesing for baseball and have cut the cord. FYI they do offer a free game of the day so that is a plus. I do miss the Red Sox, but all the games are on the radio and I find that I am actually doing things that need to be done around the house while listening, where if it was on TV I would be sitting in front of the TV not getting stuff done.
To each his own but growing up I listened to the games on the radio more than they were on TV so .....it's sort of going backwards.

Anyway cord cutting isn't for everyone, and the OTA offerings in your area will have much to do with the decision, honestly we do miss the cable news channels and I don't think we will ever totally get over that, maybe some brilliant programmer will figure out how to make a private channel for roku to solve that problem. Sme day!

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

i cut the cord from the cable co i canceled every thing t.v. phone and internet as i would rather get my teeth pulled than to deal with them:mad:. and there insane charges if you want a 400 mbps connection it will be a 50.00 upgrade fee if you want a gigabit connection it will be a 200.00 upgrade fee. i did go with dish because streaming just aint there yet with all of the issues with the different apps and lack of channels. i get my internets from verizons 5G home broadband service wich is mind blowing on how fast it is plus they gave me a free modem router apple 4k t.v. 3 months of youtube t.v. and three months of free service:) as far as my phone i just use my cell phone i think that there's no place for voip unless it's in a business. i couldn't be happier to break the tampon strings from the greedy cable co:amen

Why do people consider wireless internet or any internet in their home as "cutting the cord"?

Internet service is just a different cord.

Only pure OTA is really cutting the cord.

Just using the wrong term (cord cutting instead of cord shaving) as media and internet has ingrained that term.

i cut the cord from the cable co i canceled every thing t.v. phone and internet as i would rather get my teeth pulled than to deal with them:mad:. and there insane charges if you want a 400 mbps connection it will be a 50.00 upgrade fee if you want a gigabit connection it will be a 200.00 upgrade fee.
What manner of residential user really needs a 400Mbps or 1Gbps Internet connection unless they are using an OTT service???
i did go with dish because streaming just aint there yet with all of the issues with the different apps and lack of channels. i get my internets from verizons 5G home broadband service wich is mind blowing on how fast it is plus they gave me a free modem router apple 4k t.v. 3 months of youtube t.v. and three months of free service:)
Going with DISH may catch the attention of your cable operator (probably not), but it clearly isn't the topic of this five+ year old thread.

Whether you're tethered by coax, fiber or wireless broadband, you're still corded to some degree.

i cut the cord from the cable co i canceled every thing t.v. phone and internet as i would rather get my teeth pulled than to deal with them:mad:. and there insane charges if you want a 400 mbps connection it will be a 50.00 upgrade fee if you want a gigabit connection it will be a 200.00 upgrade fee. i did go with dish because streaming just aint there yet with all of the issues with the different apps and lack of channels. i get my internets from verizons 5G home broadband service wich is mind blowing on how fast it is plus they gave me a free modem router apple 4k t.v. 3 months of youtube t.v. and three months of free service:) as far as my phone i just use my cell phone i think that there's no place for voip unless it's in a business. i couldn't be happier to break the tampon strings from the greedy cable co:amen

This is just like going from smoking cigs to chewing tobacco doesn't making sense having no bill is cutting the cord you went from one vice to another.

I cut cable about 15+ years ago and use its since. When they went digital television and most of the channels added subchannels I never even thought of going back to cable or any satellite tv for that matter. I am saving up for a TiVo ota system with lifetime subscription since I have answers from most fellow bloggers on this site, and I am very grateful for. I have saved a lot of money from cutting cable.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I could save a lot of money by giving up driving, but it would cost me more time and money in the long run. As we get older, time should be getting higher value than it does.

Of course for those who truly disconnect, you have to live where that is an option.

Reactions: danristheman
Why do people consider wireless internet or any internet in their home as "cutting the cord"?

Internet service is just a different cord.

Only pure OTA is really cutting the cord.

Especially when people say they cut the cord from the cable company (not subscribing to cable channels),
yet they are still paying for the exact same rg-6 cord from the cable company to stream netflix.:coco:coco:coco:coco:coco

OTA and FTA are the only true ways of cutting the cord in my opinion.

Especially when people say they cut the cord from the cable company (not subscribing to cable channels),
yet they are still paying for the exact same rg-6 cord from the cable company to stream netflix.:coco:coco:coco:coco:coco

I agree and those are what we use for the vast majority of our tv viewing. We do have Amazon Prime shipping though and it is nice that they throw in video streaming as a benefit. If you add that in then the grand total for all our viewing is only $9.92 per month, probably around the cost of a movie ticket. :)

not for me i tried the streaming app and most had a crap picture alot of buffering and crashing and you can't find one service with all of the programming one watches they have to take a cut in channels and take a price hike per channel. like DTV now is 75.00 a month for a crappy 125 channels no thanks. right now i have full fledged cable for that cost free DVR and HBO SHOWTIME CINEMAX TMC STARZ. FOR 70.00 a month until the rate goes up in 3 months then i'll threaten to cancel and we'll see how bad they want to keep my business :). if not back to dish it is until they start blowing up my phone and mailing me offers to come back:D.

One question for you fred555 what is FTA?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)