Is COX HD in HD Lite or the full resolution?

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Many complained on the Dish Network forum when the Voom channels were seen going to HD Lite (I think they went back now).

Now that Dish does not have Lifetime and they are about to loose the Hearst owned channels (my ABC) over contract issues,

the wife is looking at CABLE.

Any one know if Cox Cable systems send the Full HD resolution for the Local and the cable networks like ESPN or are they doing HD lite?

=========chart=================

True 1080i 1920x1080i: 1920x540x60 = 62,208,000 pixels/sec
720p 1280x720p: 1280x720x60 = 55,296,000 pixels/sec
HD-Lite 1280x1080i: 1280x540x60 = 41,472,000 pixels/sec
DVD 720x480i: 720x240x60 = 10,368,000 pixels/sec

True 1080i: 6X DVD quality
720p: 5.33X DVD quality
HD-Lite: 4X DVD quality

ScottChez said:
Many complained on the Dish Network forum when the Voom channels were seen going to HD Lite (I think they went back now).
Now that Dish does not have Lifetime and they are about to loose the Hearst owned channels (my ABC) over contract issues,
the wife is looking at CABLE.
Any one know if Cox Cable systems send the Full HD resolution for the Local and the cable networks like ESPN or are they doing HD lite?
ScottChez,
I don't know where you live, (I am in East Texas), but Cox here is passing ALL channels, both SD and HD, through to the customer in the resolution and bandwidth as they receive it from the source. All of our HD channels are in full 1920 X 1080i or 1280 X 720p. The chief technician here said that they are using variable bandwidth for all channels, with HD having the maximum capability of a full 19mbps. I can only speak for our area, as I have heard that not all Cox systems are the same. I have great HD pq and have decided to stay with cable after switching to Cox after Voom went dark. After reading about E* and D* and their HDlite, I have no desire to go back to ANY DBS system until their issues are cleared up.
Unfortunately, in my area, Cox is selling to Cebridge, and I have heard nothing but bad things about that company. I guess time will tell as we are scheduled to switch sometime in April or May. I will be very unhappy if they decide to do to us what Dish and Direct are doing to their customers.
I would suggest that you visit the "headend" office and ask to speak to the techs there and ask them directly what bandwidth they are using, etc.
Good luck!
Randy

Last edited:
Was watching the games this weekend at my friends HD over Cox in Northern Virginia, and I noticed a lot of macro blocking during the game. I think they are over-compressing the signal, as during any action sequence or a camera change there was obvious pixelation. YMMV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)